How Does a Grain Focuser Work?

yigitaltay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a very limited knowledge on the grain focusers.

I know that they have a mirror and you focus on the grains instead of the image. It is totally understandable. But the part I couldn't get is that you are not doing the focusing on the paper level (mirror of focuser always stands higher above the paper).

So how that really works?

I am using this kind of focuser btw.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My understanding is that the mirror creates a virtual image for you to focus on EXACTLY the same distance that the mirror is above the paper.

Hope this makes sense for you.

My understanding is that the mirror creates a virtual image for you to focus on EXACTLY the same distance that the mirror is above the paper.

Hope this makes sense for you.

I thought of that too but the virtual image that is created by the mirror should have the same distance between the mirror and the film (not between the mirror and paper). So it still puzzles me.

Oh but wait.

I always assumed that they are using a plain mirror. If the mirror in the focuser is convex or concave you can adjust the focal distance in a way that it is matches with the distance to the base-plate. I think that solves my problem :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would think that the virtual image was created by the loupe in the focusing aid. The mirror merely reflects the real image that is projected by the enlargers lens.

A loupe does not create a virtual image but a mirror does by law (scientific one). 

A loupe does not create a virtual image but a mirror does by law (scientific one). 

There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding.

When looking through a loupe, you will see a virtual image, typically one that is larger than the object or the real image you are looking at. A flat mirror does not make any images at all, neither virtual nor real ones, albeit it will reflect both kinds. The lens of the enlarger, OTOH, will project a real image onto the paper under the enlarger. 

• Like 1

With a grain focuser you have a folded light path that must be exactly as long as the light path between lens and paper. Just draw a sketch showing the light path with and without the focuser and you will see why the mirror has to occupy the position it does.

• Like 1

Oh but wait.

I always assumed that they are using a plain mirror. If the mirror in the focuser is convex or concave you can adjust the focal distance in a way that it is matches with the distance to the base-plate. I think that solves my problem :)

You seem to be creating a problem for yourself where no problem exists.

You have a Paterson grain focuser. Slacken-off the eyepiece locking screw below the eyepiece.  Adjust the eyepiece up or down until the piece of wire across inside the focuser tube is in sharp focus and tighten the locking screw.  The grain will then snap in and out of focus as you adjust your enlarger focus mechanism - as long as you keep your head out of the light path.

Edited by honcho

With a grain focuser you have a folded light path that must be exactly as long as the light path between lens and paper. Just draw a sketch showing the light path with and without the focuser and you will see why the mirror has to occupy the position it does.

Ah, yes mjh is correct. That is what I was trying to visualize.

Simplicity and accuracy. Thank you mjh.

Some focuser instructions indicate the need to place a piece of paper under the focuser, the same thickness as the one used, for best accuracy...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?76092-Looking-for-Peak-Micromega-Model-1-Manual&p=726659&viewfull=1#post726659

Excerpt from Peak Model 1 operating instructions...

FOCUSING

Set up the enlarger for printing; size and
compose the print; throw the enlarger
into approximate focus, and with the
mirror cover open, place the Micromega
on the easel. For highest accuracy, keep 
a scrap of enlarging paper under the
Micromega to position the base of the 
instrument at the exact paper plane.

Jeff

• Like 2