Panorama scene mode on Q - anyone successful?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone found the trick for getting the panorama in-camera to work well? When I do it, it always stops quite early. Only once did it continue for anything like 90 degrees or more (up to 180 is claimed). I have followed the instructions in the manual (below) but it almost always cut off early. Yes, I know I could do this with post processing, but I want to do it on site in camera if possible. Does anyone have a good technique to make this work? 

Creating a panoramic picture

1. Orient the camera so that the planned left edge of the picture is not all the way to the left in the monitor image,

2. press the shutter release button, and hold it down

3. Pan the camera steadily in the direction indicated while using the white line to help keep from drifting up or down too much

Notes:

• If the camera is panned too slowly or too fast, then the camera will stop taking the picture and a corresponding notice will appear.

• The more unsteady the camera is and the more it moves up and down or side to side (depending on picture format), the smaller the height/width of the final panoramic picture will be.

• The maximum pivoting angle amounts to approx. 180°.

4. Release the shutter release button to end the picture

When the shutter release button is first pressed down, pictures will automatically be taken quickly in succession.
After the picture series is completed, the camera will combine the individual pictures into a single picture. 

Edited by Orguy
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, as I have a good stitching app, I didn't try very much, not on a tripod for instance. But all I tried handheld was atrocious... It seems there is a critical sensitivity to the speed of one's movement; maybe I'm too slow, or changing too much...

Herve: thanks, yes, that is the problem exactly. No matter how "Goldlocks" I try to be (not too fast, not too slow) it cuts off early. My hope was there were some tricks or settings(?)  someone would have found that reduces this. I often don't have a tripod with me, so doing it all in PP is hardly a solution. I must admit, I haven't upgraded beyond the original software version, but I don't believe they've made any changes.

Herve: thanks, yes, that is the problem exactly (...)

I have been a bit ferocious -indeed, when one succeeds, the result is a quite high-res image, maybe a bit better than what gets out of a phone (keeping the bokeh, etc.)

But barely better IMHO.

And to succeed I feel one mus rotate fast enough. In my experience, when you want to be better, you become very careful and consequently get a perfectly constant speed but slower : this is considered bad by the cam, "you seem to have stopped". And as, contrary to most phones, there is no on-screen animated framing help, you have to improvise until the speed is good.

So, you'll get some success indeed. But don't expect this will be better than with an (average) phone.

If you really are on panoramas, take a series of fix pictures, in raw mode, and process them with a serious app. I am using an old version of Autopano pro, for instance, that does extremely well, with lots of extra features like edge-to-edge exposure compensation, duplicated "shadows" elimination, raw files processing, all kinds of resulting perspectives (up to 'mini-planets'...) all of this in an almost automated way with still manual modes for everything. There are many others, almost all with a demo mode... Yes it's taking more time than straight in the field -but then you can print the result ;-)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I, too, have enjoyed using the panorama mode

This one from Budapest

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

This from Dresden

• Like 6

The Danube River

• Like 4

Dresden, again:

• Like 5

It needs some exercise :rolleyes:

Pano pictute and pictire from same psoition standard.

Edited by gvadf
  • Like 7

Leica should ask apple how to make the panorama works. For now the feature is simply useless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Useless?

The panoramas showed here demonstrate that Leica did a good job.

So no need for asking anyone I think

• Like 1

My "solution" is that I have one of the user memories (which I can access easily with the Fn button thanks to the new FW)  configured for all manual shooting.  Makes it easy to just snap 3 or 4 frames, without any parameters changing between frames like auto WB etc, and then use Photoshop to quickly stitch them together.

Do wish it worked as well as my phone with the sweep mode, but honestly, taking a couple of manual frames and stitching is really a better way to do pano's than the auto modes anyways as Photoshop gives better ghost removal, less wavy horizon etc

• Like 1

My "solution" is that I have one of the user memories (which I can access easily with the Fn button thanks to the new FW)  configured for all manual shooting.  Makes it easy to just snap 3 or 4 frames, without any parameters changing between frames like auto WB etc, and then use Photoshop to quickly stitch them together.

Do wish it worked as well as my phone with the sweep mode, but honestly, taking a couple of manual frames and stitching is really a better way to do pano's than the auto modes anyways as Photoshop gives better ghost removal, less wavy horizon etc

"Easy to snap 3 or 4 frames, "  you say. You are doing this panning with the camera on a tripod or hand held?

This works best, changing the camera in upright position. You need to take more pictures, but the "stripe" of combined photos is more wide.

"Easy to snap 3 or 4 frames, "  you say. You are doing this panning with the camera on a tripod or hand held?

Depends on how long of shutter speed I want/need

Usually with the Q its handheld shooting, but sometimes I will throw it on a tripod for longer exposures, night shots etc, in which case the technique is basically the same, take a shot, pan the camera, take another shot, pan the camera....

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Photoman61 said:

Any know how to adjust ISO Shutter and F Stop when the Q2 is in Panoramic Mode.   ???? Mine is in ISO 320 Shutter 1/80th and F1.7 I can't seem to change it??

From Manual.

Panorama pictures are always taken in automatic program mode, no matter what the settings for the shutter speed setting dial and the aperture setting wheel are.