Jewl

Refocus / Delay of auto focus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi community,

I am quite new to the Leica Q and I expect the following to be a beginner's question. But, it is worrying me or at least I want to ensure that the phenomenon is not the cause of a technical issue.

I am using the Leica Q in program automatic (aperture and time), multi-field metering and center-weighted metering. Auto focus is set to "single" mode, not continuous! (AF-S)

My expectation was that whenever I press the shutter halfway through, the green rectangles indicate what is going to be in focus. Pressing it completely through should take the shot immediately. This works in 95% of the cases but sometimes it seems that the lens has to refocus when pressing the shutter completely through which causes a delay of 1-2 seconds! This is quite confusing as the moment was gone in those cases. Is this a technical issue or a normal behavior? I am not quite sure whether this happened with my SLR as well when I used in in auto mode!

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

Cheers,

Julian

Edited by Jewl

I am using the Leica Q in program automatic (aperture and time), multi-field metering and center-weighted metering. Auto focus is set to "single" mode, not continuous! (AF-S)

I assume you mean Multi-point focus and center weighted metering.  If so the camera has to check all its focus points to decide which it will use then focus the lens using those points.   This can take a while.   Suppose your last shot was taken close in.  Then you hit the shutter to take a shot at infinity.  I'm *guessing* the camera has to check all points and when it finds none in acceptable focus it has to changes the focus of the lens and repeat.   I can imagine it having to go through that cycle more than once, taking extra time.  Low light can also make for slower focus.

You can speed things up by using single point focus but then you might have to focus and recompose which could slow you down.

Thanks for your reply! You are right with your assumption regarding the metering!

My assumption was that the process you are describing happens in the first step when you press the shutter halfway through. Then it might happen that it takes longer or shorter until the camera finds the right focus. That's reasonable depending on what area you are focussing in each shot (shorter or longer distance). As soon as the green rectangles appear (and the AF sound as well) (to my understanding) there shouldn't be another cycle as soon as you press the shutter completely through or am I understanding that wrong? If that is the normal behavior it is fine for me but then my understanding was completely wrong. That's what I also understood when I read the respective section in the instructions...

Thanks a lot!

Cheers from Germany,

Julian 

Edited by Jewl