quick question -- manual focus with SL

eamonhickey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry, bit IMHO it is a flaw.

As a photographer, I want to avoid moving the camera after focussing, except I have a system like 'true-focus' of Hasselblad.

Using the SL I have to move the focus point after(!) I magnified the EVF. You have to search around while the pic is magnified, not once, each time you press for magnification. If you do a portrait shooting e.g., I don't want to play aroung with this most of the time, I want the maginification point stays in place. I also want to choose the magnification-point before the pic gets magnified, not after, this is annoying.

This is more important than any possibly disadvanteges in menu structure. By the way: just one option more for such an important issue, for sharp pictures, is not bad in my eyes.

Do remember that the SL is designed to be used primarily with SL lenses, and with SL lenses the behavior you want is how it works: the AF system retains the focus point location through magnification cycles. 

You're adapting non-SL lenses to the camera, and as such, the behavior of the focus magnification is not the same as it is with the SL lenses. I conjecture that it is the lack of the AF system, incompatible with adapted lenses, that makes it this way. Something that isn't on the M cameras at all ... they use a totally different system to manage the EVF. 

No excuse:

1) the SL is designed and advertised by Leica for the use of M lenses as well as SL lenses, R-lenses, T lenses or S lenses.

2) other companies managed that problem well.

Edited by saxo

No excuse:

1) the SL is designed and advertised by Leica for the use of M lenses as well as SL lenses, R-lenses, T lenses or S lenses.

2) other companies managed that problem well.

You're welcome to your opinion, but 'engineered for compatibility' with the R, M, and S lenses is quite different from being specifically designed for optimized use, as in the SL and T lenses. NONE of the R, M, and S lenses can meet all the specifics of the SL/T lens-body protocol interface. The fact that the SL works very well with these other series of lenses, given the correct adapter, does not make them the primary engineering target for the camera's design, regardless of what you might interpret the marketing hooey to say. 

That is the pragmatic truth of the matter. That said, Leica might well figure out how to provide this feature in a software update, anything is possible. For me, I like it the way it works now. My wish is that they include the option to turn it off with the SL lenses or at least give me a one button press to return to home position. So if they do it, and make that the only way the camera works as they do now with the dedicated lenses, they'll piss off the other party in this debate that likes it the way it works now with adapted manual lenses. 

Of course, in the end, I don't really care one way or the other. I'll figure out what the camera does and bend my working methodology to get what I want out of it. :D

Edited by ramarren