quick question -- manual focus with SL

eamonhickey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.... If something does not want we want, instead fixing it throw it away - this is the mentality that kills the environment. ....

If the functions of a new product do not agree with your needs, you have made a mistake buying it. Returning it to the dealer is one of the obvious ways of dealing with your mistake. 

No need to throw a tantrum, as returning a product to the dealer is not even close to throwing it away, unless the dealer does so. All it takes is a bit of negotiation.

• 9 months later...

You can magnify any area, even at the border or in the corners. But after taking a shot you start in the center again.

So the real problem is to get a switch to turn this behaviour on or off (stickyness of focus point /magnification point in manual mode).

I can work easily as it is now. But I understand that others would like it different. So I would also welcome the option to switch this on/off. I would not like to have it changed completely.

I am resurrecting an old thread. I am new to manual

focus of the M lenses on the SL. You wrote that you can mag any portion of the EVF. How does that work using the M glass?

I have been using the Noctilux wide open... putting the subject in the center and magging the image up to check focus. When I focus off center... and mag the image up I can't see what I am trying to focus on because it's out of the frame of the magnification.

Other than focus and recompose, or not using mag (just peaking), is there way to mag an off center subject??

Thanks!!

Yes. You simply move around the screen with the joystick.

Perhaps not with the Novoflex adapter though.

Not using the Novoflex...using the Noctilux with the Leica adapter. I thought I tried moving the joystick... I guess I'll have to try again.

Yes, just move the joystick. Hard to believe that requires a trip to the forums unless your camera is broken.

I don't think my camera is broken. This is the first time I have used an M lens on my SL. When I hit the joystick.... it mags up... and then once it is in mag mode... just move the joystick to move around the image??? Simple as that???

Thanks for the condescending comments and sarcasm, as well as the help :)

I wasn't pushing it correctly I guess... the Thumbs Up was kinda getting in the way.

Now I get what everyone is saying!! Sucks that the magged up location defaults back to the center... and that you can't move from mag/de-mag without having to scroll back over to what you want magged up.

Edited by Donzo98

Sucks that the magged up location defaults back to the center

This would be a nice feature.

... and that you can't move from mag/de-mag without having to scroll back over to what you want magged up.

What do you mean?

• Like 1

After framing a pic and then hitting mag to assess focus, I move the joystick to magnify the subject.

After that I click back out to take the pic. If for some season, I want to mag up again, the previously chosen area is now gone and defaults back to the center. Would be nice if the SL remembered the last spot, a common complaint among M lens users here.

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 3

After framing a pic and then hitting mag to assess focus, I move the joystick to magnify the subject.

After that I click back out to take the pic. If for some season, I want to mag up again, the previously chosen area is now gone and defaults back to the center. Would be nice if the SL remembered the last spot, a common complaint among M lens users here.

This is a well known flaw, critized ever since. Probably Leica has no remedy (or ignores it)

Not a flaw .... a design choice....  ;)

If they did it as the default option no doubt someone would complain that they wanted it in the middle ......

..... then they would have to add it as a menu option ........

By Leica standards the SL Menu is already bloated so acceding to a range of good ideas with progressively more minority interest will eventually reduce rather than enhance the user experience .......  :huh:

Personally I'm happy to live with things as they are ....... I encounter no major inconveniences in every day usage, and ferreting around in the menus to change things is already complicated enough.

Edited by thighslapper

Not a flaw .... a design choice.... ;)

If they did it as the default option no doubt someone would complain that they wanted it in the middle ......

..... then they would have to add it as a menu option ........

By Leica standards the SL Menu is already bloated so acceding to a range of good ideas with progressively more minority interest will eventually reduce rather than enhance the user experience ....... :huh:

Personally I'm happy to live with things as they are ....... I encounter no major inconveniences in every day usage, and ferreting around in the menus to change things is already complicated enough.

I agree I would rather not have the SL menus turn into Olympus menus but I believe there is a simple fix that no one I'm aware of has implemented.

I am waiting for a camera maker to realize they could easily allow a user to set up menus, settings, and profiles on a computer and then upload via card (similar to firmware process). This could be a simple web interface with a file download when complete.

This would allow a user to determine exactly how complex the menus should be while avoiding the hassle of using the few input options available on the camera body. Everything could be customizable in this example and we could all have exactly what we want without making the operation of the camera more complex.

Delete video, remove all of the file system options, etc. I'd have just a few options on camera the majority of the time. I could also have one camera completely set up for use of M lenses (all focus options removed) and one set up for AF use.

• Like 1

I agree I would rather not have the SL menus turn into Olympus menus but I believe there is a simple fix that no one I'm aware of has implemented.

I am waiting for a camera maker to realize they could easily allow a user to set up menus, settings, and profiles on a computer and then upload via card (similar to firmware process). This could be a simple web interface with a file download when complete.

This would allow a user to determine exactly how complex the menus should be while avoiding the hassle of using the few input options available on the camera body. Everything could be customizable in this example and we could all have exactly what we want without making the operation of the camera more complex.

Delete video, remove all of the file system options, etc. I'd have just a few options on camera the majority of the time. I could also have one camera completely set up for use of M lenses (all focus options removed) and one set up for AF use.

I had that capability with my Nikon F6 and a control/configure app. Frankly, I didn't find it at all useful, mostly because I usually need to make a setting, test, make a setting, test, etc until it works the way I want. Having to do that through a control program, interfacing with a computer for each stage, too way too much time between tests.. It was easier and faster to learn how to use the camera's settings correctly on the camera and tweak it that way. 

Personally, I prefer how the SL operates now with respect to the magnification point behavior and manual lenses. I wish there was a faster way to reset the focus point with dedicated lenses back to the center or null point. (Olympus provides that capability, I used it a lot.)

Edited by ramarren

I seem to recall with one of my cameras (I think it was the M9), I set it up in a way which was very specific (after reading one of Thorsten's articles, I think) and suited me well - the camera then started misbehaving (locking up, from memory).  I emailed Leica, and they said they had never come across the problem, nor had they seen the camera set up that way.

Limiting flexibility does increase stability (see the discussion about the TL2 with EVF).

Cheers

John

Not a flaw .... a design choice....  ;)

Sorry, bit IMHO it is a flaw.

As a photographer, I want to avoid moving the camera after focussing, except I have a system like 'true-focus' of Hasselblad.

Using the SL I have to move the focus point after(!) I magnified the EVF. You have to search around while the pic is magnified, not once, each time you press for magnification. If you do a portrait shooting e.g., I don't want to play aroung with this most of the time, I want the maginification point stays in place. I also want to choose the magnification-point before the pic gets magnified, not after, this is annoying.

This is more important than any possibly disadvanteges in menu structure. By the way: just one option more for such an important issue, for sharp pictures, is not bad in my eyes.

Edited by saxo
  • Like 1

Using spot exposure the focus can be magnified anywhere on the screen and the same spot will remain in the same place frame after frame, I use spot most of the time using the joystick, I focus where I want (moving the spot) and then move the spot within the frame to get the exposure I want.

I mostly use manual mode, when I want auto focus I can just press the joystick.