quick question -- manual focus with SL

eamonhickey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am plagued with systems that had problems (of disappearing, or almost disappearing): Rollei 6000 and Leica R.

So I automatically try to plan for the future - and hope that Leica makes the right decisions ...      :)  :unsure:

(The SL lenses are usable nowhere else - unlike the R lenses. And with the Rollei 6000 lenses it is also difficult, unless you heavily invest in a Hy6 plus digital back.) As soon as batteries/accumulators cannot be bought anymore, but have to be rebuilt the situation is uncomfortable. So I am a *burnt child" and dread the fire.

Edited by steppenw0lf

I am plagued with systems that had problems (of disappearing, or almost disappearing): Rollei 6000 and Leica R.

So I automatically try to plan for the future - and hope that Leica makes the right decisions ...      :)  :unsure:

(The SL lenses are usable nowhere else - unlike the R lenses. And with the Rollei 6000 lenses it is also difficult, unless you heavily invest in a Hy6 plus digital back.) As soon as batteries/accumulators cannot be bought anymore, but have to be rebuilt the situation is uncomfortable. So I am a *burnt child" and dread the fire.

Everything evolves, if you have a car in ten years time it could be that your car no longer meets pollution targets and needs to be scrapped, what is your solution for that today, buy a bicycle?

No, bicycles are too often stolen.    ;)

Simply use a taxi or join a shared car group.

But unfortunately not the slightest help for the Leica R disaster and the Rollei problems. 

Leica R system cameras and lenses were manufactured and sold from 1963 to 2009, a 46 year run in production. And Leica provides adapters for both M and SL lens mounts, along with optimized lens profiles, to enable owners' lens investment to continue working for them into the future. I'd hardly call that a "disaster" or "not the slightest help." Never mind that my 1968 Leicaflex SLs are still working beautifully such that they're hardly even obsolete if I want to shoot film...

The Rollei situation is more dire, but then the parent company that made them went out of business. There's not much that a nonexistent company can do to assist. That's a risk that we all take, the only alternative is to do nothing, buy nothing—just sit in the corner and sulk, but feel safe.

No, bicycles are too often stolen.    ;)

Simply use a taxi or join a shared car group.

But unfortunately not the slightest help for the Leica R disaster and the Rollei problems. 

As ramarren says a 46 year old run of production cannot be described as a disaster, and considering that Leica itself was almost bankrupt at one stage, I think it is admirable of them to be still be going and making old and new work so well on the SL as well as having other good products.

Leica R system cameras and lenses were manufactured and sold from 1963 to 2009, a 46 year run in production. And Leica provides adapters for both M and SL lens mounts, along with optimized lens profiles, to enable owners' lens investment to continue working for them into the future. I'd hardly call that a "disaster" or "not the slightest help." Never mind that my 1968 Leicaflex SLs are still working beautifully such that they're hardly even obsolete if I want to shoot film...

The Rollei situation is more dire, but then the parent company that made them went out of business. There's not much that a nonexistent company can do to assist. That's a risk that we all take, the only alternative is to do nothing, buy nothing—just sit in the corner and sulk, but feel safe.

Somehow I think SteppenwOlf ain't going to be happy sulking away in a corner!

Edited by Guest

Rollei went bankrupt more than once, but there is still (or again) a small company that produces a few Hy6 every week. It is now called DW-Photo (dw-photo.eu). Before it was DHW Fototechnik (dhw-fototechnik.de). They are sitting in the same factory as before - just in a smaller part. And they say that they are still repairing the older Rolleis and lenses. But it is difficult to get batteries for the older cameras.

The Leaf AFi, the Sinar Hy6.2 and the Rollei Hy6.2 are all the same camera with different labels.

For the Hy6 they are cooperating with Sinar and Leaf and you can get digital backs from both with up to 80 MP. The sensor is really big (quite close to 6x4.5, exactly 53.7 x 40.4), but you can also get the smaller 33x44 sensor. Interestingly the big sensor can be rotated inside the back (horizontal or vertical direction). Using the biggest sensor would result in a square format with 60 MP. But the widest (straight) lens is only a 40mm (about 24mm equivalent). While with a film back you have access to the full 6x6 format (57x57).

So still technically interesting, but also quite expensive. 

And regarding Leica R: The disaster was not the 46 years, but the end of it. And that many former Leica R users went to Sony or other companies (and most are probably still there). And that it took almost ten years from the plans for the ill-fated "R10" to the SL.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stefan, it seems you just want to complain. I don't know why. 

From your own statements, it sound like Rollei is being supported, although it is expensive. Now that's a surprise..  :rolleyes:

And Leica's "disaster" is just that they didn't have a body ready to use with the R lenses for a while, they didn't meet your approved schedule. 

Sheesh. I wish everything met my schedules and price expectations too. 

• Like 1

But you can select any part of the EVF of the SL for magnification, and focus peaking also works on the whole area. So you are not limited to the center.

So yes, it is a great camera for manual use, especially for macro. I see no need to refer to focus and recompose.    :)

Edited by steppenw0lf

But you can select any part of the EVF of the SL for magnification, and focus peaking also works on the whole area. So you are not limited to the center.

So yes, it is a great camera for manual use, especially for macro. No need to refer to focus and recompose.

But you can't select focus area before magnification... Magnification is automaticaly made in the center; and then you can change the area... So it's not very convenient...

But you can't select focus area before magnification... Magnification is automaticaly made in the center; and then you can change the area... So it's not very convenient...

Correct - this is one of the requests on the SL Firmware 3.0 update, so let's hope that this will be fixed.

• Like 1

In AF mode (with AF lenses) the selected area is "sticky". In manual mode it is not - after any switch e.g. from LCD to EVF it starts again in the center. This is not consistent.

I changed my working routine because of that, and try not to switch too often from LCD to EVF or vice versa if I can avoid it.

Despite that, for me it is still the best camera for macro and manual focus (much better than the D800, 5Ds or NEX7 that I have from a time before the SL).

Edited by steppenw0lf

So yes, it is a great camera for manual use, especially for macro. I see no need to refer to focus and recompose.    :)

just even half press the shutter makes you loose the area. I don't call that convenient.

You look for a solution - I tried to show you one. If you are not able to change your working routine, then it is simply tragic, but so what. I am glad I bought the SL, especially for macro. If you are not - too bad ...      :D

You can still sell the SL for a good price (maybe even return it because it is unusable for manual focus) - and you do not need the patience to wait for the prime lenses. In other systems you can get most lenses in a week or two.

I will simply enjoy my time while I am waiting for the next firmware release.

As someone lately said, there is still the X1D - but I do really not understand, why exactly this should be the best replacement for the SL....

Everyone to his taste.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

just even half press the shutter makes you loose the area. I don't call that convenient.

By default, half-pressing the shutter release engages the preview mode at full frame for making the shot. Disable the preview mode if you don't want that. (I'm not sure that it doesn't still return you to full frame view, however ... the notion is that once you've focused and set exposure, you want full frame mode to see your framing for the shot.)

Well it is just how it works, and the working routine with SL lenses shows, that it would be technicaly possible to do it better (unlike with the M240).

So I don't feel bad to ask for obviously doable improvements...at the end the manufacturer needs feedback to improve.  And SL firmware update was also solid.

If you don't need it, ok good for you. But not everybody is doing Macro work with and SL, using it for portraits is a valid use case...probably more common then macro.

• Like 1

how childish. "if you don't like it return it". grow up

If something does not want we want, instead fixing it throw it away - this is the mentality that kills the environment.

Not open for change and critics.

If you are not familiar with the concept of firmware updates I recommend to keep away from technical forums and don't disturb people who want to discuss.