The X weak spot

dpitt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let me first assure you that I am a hardcore Leica fan.

The M and R systems have given me lots of joy.

The Digilux2 is still one of my favorites and the Leica X2 was my daily companion for over a year now, but I am a bit disappointed in the engineering quality.

The X2 was sold well over a 1000 Euros, so I would not expect something as basic as the battery lock mechanism to break this easy. I do not remember forcing it in any way....

Looks to me that an 'ínvestment' of a few cents in a metal part would have saved my day.

Anybody had a similar issue ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dpitt

I have the same issue with my X-Vario. I have been relying on the battery door to hold the battery in. Of course, I'd rather have have a fix for this issue. I gather that you can get a replacement from Leica.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The same happened to my X Vario, but it was mended, free of charge, when I took it into Leica Mayfair. It had to stay there a couple of days as the spring had disappeared into the innards of the camera and getting it out proved to be a lengthy operation. Apparently this happens more often on the other X cameras but clearly does occasionally on the Vario too. It's disappointing that there should be such a weakness on a camera at this level, but if Leica mends it quickly and for free one can't complain too much, IMO.

Me too, my X1 suffered this fault.

It is a fault which I believe Leica knows about, and rectifies if and when needed.

Yes, it should not happen, but my experience wasn't damped by it, the service Leica extended was above and beyond.

No complaints from me.

Gary

I had the same problem twice with my X1. After I recognized, that a spring presses the battery towards the battery lock, I thought to find the reason for the broken lever: Every bump or vibration to the camera means a micro movement of the battery against the spring and as reaction a back movement on to the little plasticlock.

After I realized that I put an approx. 1mm thick self adhesive foamrubber dot (diameter like the thickness of battery) to the inside of the battery door. Now this rubber presses the battery a little off the lock (its possible because of the spring). From this time I did it to all of my cameras (X1, X2, X113 and Q) and have had no more problem with a broken battery lock. And you have to know that I treat my cameras very bad on my bicycletrips in the handlebar bag, also on rough mountainbike paths.

I think that little solution can help to prevent a broken lock.

Hope I could explain that with my basic english...

Edited by bikedoll
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had the same problem twice with my X1. After I recognized, that a spring presses the battery towards the battery lock, I thought to find the reason for the broken lever: Every bump or vibration to the camera means a micro movement of the battery against the spring and as reaction a back movement on to the little plasticlock.

After I realized that I put an approx. 1mm thick self adhesive foamrubber dot (diameter like the thickness of battery) to the inside of the battery door. Now this rubber presses the battery a little off the lock (its possible because of the spring). From this time I did it to all of my cameras (X1, X2, X113 and Q) and have had no more problem with a broken battery lock. And you have to know that I treat my cameras very bad on my bicycletrips in the handlebar bag, also on rough mountainbike paths.

I think that little solution can help to prevent a broken lock.

Hope I could explain that with my basic english...

Similar experience here, it happened twice with the X1 (first time my fault I dropped the camera, second time not sure what happened) anyway with a little bit of foam rubber to press the battery and be sure of the contact and a little of gaffer tape on the battery door to avoid excessive pressure it works with no problem.

And yes, for the price of the camera (I bough new) it could have been done better!

robert

• Like 1

I found with my repair (done "locally" an hour or two from home), the best option was to ensure the part(s) were there. From then it's a 5-10 min fix.

Should it even happen? Nope, not really, but it does, and Leica are quick to rectify it, so I am/was happy.

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is solved most elegantly by Leica.

I sent an email to their customer service in Germany and a few days later I received a letter with replacement parts, at no cost at all!

Kudos to Leica!

They even included 2 springs with the part.

Why they included two was immediately evident when my first attempt to catch the spring with my pincers made it fly all over the place  :)

The second attempt was succesful and my X2 is now as good as it was the day it left the factory.

I whish all brands were this dedicated to their product.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I have had no trouble with the battery lock mechanism on my X2 or X Vario, but maybe I am too gentle with my equipment. Cameras tend to be delicate in one way or another. For example, the classic M film cameras were built like tanks, but the rangefinder could be knocked out of alignment rather easily.

• 1 month later...

My catch has just broken on my 7 year old X1

Since I bought an M a couple of years ago my X1 and XV have not seen much use. Last night I thought I would give the X1 a bit of a run as I am getting concerned that the M262 is getting a bit of a hammering in terms of use. 

I charged the X1 battery up and I have just now gone to put it in the camera pushed back the catch and dropped the battery in - then I noticed the catch had flipped up and was loose. - Then came off. I have the plastic catch but presume the snapped off clips and spring have dropped inside. 

Camera still seems to work as the door holds the battery in place are the loose bits likely to cause any mischief to the interior workings?  

Can it still be fixed in the UK or does it need to go back to HQ and if so anyone know how much it is likely to cost?

John

Edited by jhluxton

Can be repaired by Leica Mayfair

T: 020 7629 1351

E: CustomerCare.UK@leica-camera.com  

Or visit them at Café Optik, 27 Bruton Place Mayfair London W1J 6NQ and ask for Customer Service Dept 

Repair is likely free of charge … maybe 'while you wait'  but they are relocating to Duke Street off Oxford Street in 2019 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

On 1/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, DenisM said:

That's great news!  Could you tell me how much they are charging to repair it? (I happen to love Leica NJ, esp. Barbara and Cathy who answer the phones!) 

They didn't charge me anything last time it happened to my X Vario.

Toshi