New Hasselblad lenses on S

Photoskeptic

Has anyone tried the new 1/2000 sec. 'blad lenses on the S? Just wondering if the H6D has different contacts or firmware to accommodate these in which case the S adapter wouldn't allow the faster speeds.

I don't think they will work at all.

If compatible lenses are send to hasselblad for repair Hasselblad updates the firmware of the lens so it won't work with the adapter anymore... I'd think the new lenses are equally 'protected' for use on the Leica S-Adapter H... 

• Like 1

If compatible lenses are send to hasselblad for repair Hasselblad updates the firmware of the lens so it won't work with the adapter anymore... I'd think the new lenses are equally 'protected' for use on the Leica S-Adapter H... 

Interesting.

• Like 1

Interesting indeed... I had no idea Hasselblad was doing this...  There goes the perception that they have become an open system again...

What?! Is it actually legal to do this without informing the customer?

What?! Is it actually legal to do this without informing the customer?

Yes of course because the hasselblad lens only legaly has to be compatible with hasselblad cameras... they do something so it won't work on the S-Adapter H anymore...

Something Leica should fix with a counter firmware update. If possible at all. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes of course because the hasselblad lens only legaly has to be compatible with hasselblad cameras... they do something so it won't work on the S-Adapter H anymore...

Something Leica should fix with a counter firmware update. If possible at all. 

It wouldn't be in Oz. Reducing functions like this would be seen as anti-competitive. HP have just gotten in some trouble here by side loading a firmware update that stopped some of their printers accepting third party inks. As those same printers previously did work with those inks HP now has to reverse that. This wasn't just a consumer backlash. That ACCC (consumer affairs in Oz) got involved.

In Oz, if a company upgraded firmware without your consent and that changed the functionality of the product you can demand it be reversed.

Gordon

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

What do you mean by “WON T WORK”.   The common issue with the adapter has been that it would lose communication with the lens .  This could be reset by turning the camera off and on again .  The AF would work for a while and then you would have to repeat . 

What do you mean by “WON T WORK”.   The common issue with the adapter has been that it would lose communication with the lens .  This could be reset by turning the camera off and on again .  The AF would work for a while and then you would have to repeat . 

It is rumoured that the newer Hasselblad lenses or if a older Hasselblad lens goes in for repair to Hasselblad they update the lens firmware and it no longer functions on the S-Adapter H.

The 'bug' you describe is just a fault in the Leica S-Adapter H ring, while the problem I describe resides in the Hasselblad lenses ;) 

It wouldn't be in Oz. Reducing functions like this would be seen as anti-competitive. HP have just gotten in some trouble here by side loading a firmware update that stopped some of their printers accepting third party inks. As those same printers previously did work with those inks HP now has to reverse that. This wasn't just a consumer backlash. That ACCC (consumer affairs in Oz) got involved.

In Oz, if a company upgraded firmware without your consent and that changed the functionality of the product you can demand it be reversed.

Gordon

They could claim they have just improved the AF system on the Hasselblad bodies and lenses, and that because of that (without their intention) the Leica S-Adapter H no longer understand the communication between adapter ring and Hasselblad lens. This would be completely legal in the EU and USA. They could even claim that they had to do this firmware upgrade because of compatibility with a new part during repair, etc. etc. 

Hasselblad does not have to make sure the lens remains compatible with the third party Leica S-Adapter H, it is up to Leica to reverse engineer the adapter ring again to make it yet again compatible with Hasselblads communication algorithms. 

Edited by jip

Jip-

This is most unfortunate! It is a bad idea to block your product from working on other platforms and  ultimately depreciates the value of  the said lens...

Albert  :)  :)  :)

Is this all fact, or rumour? This makes it sound like ( a ) the owner has no choice in the upgrading of the firmware, and ( b ) the purpose of the upgrade is to protect against 3rd party usage. Are these conclusions fact, or assumptions? Edited by EoinC

Jip-

This is most unfortunate! It is a bad idea to block your product from working on other platforms and  ultimately depreciates the value of  the said lens...

Albert  :)  :)  :)

Not only that, but it would be rather counterproductive. People are not going to buy into a system to accommodate using a lens, but they might well buy a lens to use on another body.

• Like 1

To rephrase what Hasselblad is doing in my opinion is just: improving their product, and in the process unknowingly or knowingly but not on purpose make it incompatible with the Leica S-Adapter H... 

This is Leica their problem since they have to keep up with keeping their Adapter ring compatible with the Hasselblad lenses, it's not up to Hasselblad to keep the lenses compatible with a 3rd party adapter ring made by Leica.

• Like 4

Perhaps it would be more beneficial to both companies (and their customers) if they would actually talk about this and openly share protocols with each other and make adapters available both ways. X1D users could use some good S glass  ;)

And it would surely broaden their user base.

• Like 2

Perhaps it would be more beneficial to both companies (and their customers) if they would actually talk about this and openly share protocols with each other and make adapters available both ways. X1D users could use some good S glass  ;)

And it would surely broaden their user base.

X1D would need to be able to trigger the central shutter, so only CS lenses would be applicable.

Indeed, only CS - for now - would be fine. 

When I look for example at the Facebook fan pages of the Leica S system, Hasselblad X1D and Fuji GFX, it's amazing how big difference is. Fuji has literary thousands of subscribers, whereas Leica and Hasselblad have one hundred or a few hundred at most. An adapter would be a small step for them to join forces and make investments in their offerings more versatile.

BTW, why is it that I like the photos on the Hasselblad and Leica pages, and don't care for the ones on the Fuji pages? 

BTW, why is it that I like the photos on the Hasselblad and Leica pages, and don't care for the ones on the Fuji pages? 

You answered your own question. 10 times as many posters will likely lower the average picture quality. When I've seen a great photographer use a Leica S, XF/Credo 60, or Fuji MF, (Mat Richardson, mjr at getDPI) the results look indistinguishable, at least at Web sizes.

--Matt

• Like 1