Your favorite paper?

yigitaltay

What is your favorite paper(s) that you use in darkroom printing? And of course, why?

I like Ilford Multigtade IV fiber based. I like the cool colour (I don't much favour warm tone papers), and it has deep and rich blacks. Well made prints are snappy and crisp with a wide tonaly range. The mid tones are lovely. It is also available with minimum trouble. It also reacts well to Zone VI developer (a lovely developer, I have a probably lifetime supply). In fact I tend to like most things Ilford. 

Edited by Michael Hiles

You can see that a taste can be very different:

I like the Fomabrom Variant and Fomatone MG. They both are warmtone, Fomatone MG 131 pretty much. Dark Black you have too and if you dry them not too hot on the press (55C) the end result is very nice. I am doing also portraits, very nice paper for it.

Further the price is good, especially in the Czech Republic.

The texture of PE/RC papers you can have in optimum with an IR dryer only. Agfa Record Rapid is really old fiber paper. In deep Black the Agfa MCC was fabulous however this paper died with Agfa Photo in 2005/2006. Deep Black till log 2,3 with selenium toning. Comparing to Ilford which can hardly reach log 2,0 even the Fomabrom paper is better.

Another fabulous warmtone was Forte Polywarmtone 14. Also this paper died in 2007 when Forte stopped all production. I have one package 50x60cm PW14 left. Agfa MCC was a bad paper to have in an old stock, after a few years it was fogging like a Grey card.

Talking about Agfa Record Rapid, also OrWo had a nice line of fiber photo papers. I have used it, together with Agfa Gevaert in the 70's 80's and 90's. Then I have switched to Foma, also with my films together with some Fuji products.

• 3 weeks later...

For  RA4  colour   :  Ilford  Colour Lux .  High   gloss  finish  with  fabulous  colours  . Not  sure  if  it  is  still available .

For   B&W  :  forgotten  the   exact name   but  it  was  a double  weight   fibre  paper   by  Kodak  . Lovely  range of  tones .  For  modern papers   possibly  the  Ilford  pear  papers  . 

The  Ilford   reversal  paper   was it  Ilfachrome  , or  similar  ?  I  found  it   quite  hard  to get   it  right  ,  but   great  when  I got it   right .

It  was  also   expensive  !

The  Kodak  paper   I remember  was old   when I   was using it  in  1992  , on  a   B&W   photo   course. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My favourite always used to be Agfa Multicontrast Classic FB, and very occasionally used the Warmtone variant of Ilford MCFB. Sadly, I have not printed for several years but the itch is back but I really wish to keep away from FB paper, at least to start with to make sure the extra faff does not put me off. Are there any new lids on the RC block that I should look at. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ilford Multigrade IV RC Deluxe Pearl paper. I like it better than the fiber based paper because it dries much quicker and doesn't wrinkle. I just acquired a print dryer, so I can handle now the fiber based paper better, too. But without dryer, the fiber based paper is just much more difficult to work with for drying and matting. Sorry for the double-post, just realized that I already posted this earlier.

Edited by Martin B

Easy to dry for fiber photo paper is with aquarel tape on 4mm-5mm glas. It just takes some time (2 days) to dry completely. Flat and without further problems.

Oh, yes, the tape thing......first issue is to find the right tape. The one which is suitable for this kind of work in Europe does not exist in the US. I am still looking for the right brand of tape for this kind of work in the US and where to get it here (if somebody knows, please reply here and let me know!).