Theft of my M 240 and 35 Lux (AA)

bjeau

Hello all,

If you have news about my robbed camera and lens, I thank you to let me know.

- Leica M (240) black No. 4787986

- Leica Summilux-M ASPHERICAL 35 mm black No. 3460301

This happened in the train Paris-Marseille on last Friday.

Sadly,

BJeau

Hi BJeau, I’m sorry to hear of the theft of your camera and lens. Even if you have insurance trying to replace a wonderful 35mm AA lens will be difficult. Could I suggest that you report the theft to Leica as well. As sometime in the (not too distance future I hope) your lens may be sent in to Leica for a CLA. Also, you could report the loss to some of the main independent Leica repair centers. Did you lose many photographs as well?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your solidarity and your advices.
It happened in a train. It's my fault. I forgot the bag (little, black, in an almost dark atmosphere) on the luggage tray when I arrived to my station, then the train followed its way. I've phoned to the cops of the next station but they haven't found anything.
The insurance will refund me about 20 % of the whole price.
There was a multifunctional grip too.

I hope Leica will find something.
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum, bjeau. I feel really sorry for you. One lapse of memory and you have lost a great camera and lens.

I sincerely hope someone will be honest enough to hand it in to the police or to SNCF staff.

Most people are honest. If I found a bag with a camera I would hand it in to lost property at the next station. Have you tried asking SNCF?

If SNCF are like the railways here they would hold it for a limited period of time and, if it weren't claimed, they would sell it at auction.

Please check with them. It is probably in their hands.

Bonne chance.

Peter

Thanks for your solidarity and your advices.
It happened in a train. It's my fault. I forgot the bag (little, black, in an almost dark atmosphere) on the luggage tray when I arrived to my station, then the train followed its way. I've phoned to the cops of the next station but they haven't found anything.
The insurance will refund me about 20 % of the whole price.
There was a multifunctional grip too.

I hope Leica will find something.

It's so easily done. I draped my wife's rucksac with my MP, 50 Lux and 28 cron (and her credit cards) over the back of a seat in the worst restaurant I've been in. I couldn't wait to leave, and after 2 hours back at the Motel I realised I'd left the sac. You can imagine my relief when I walked into the restaurant as they were closing up, and saw the sac still draped over the back of the seat. Thank heavens for their slovenliness!

Pete

Insurance is the fall back plan. I hate having to pay the premiums (about GBP 170 a year) but the thought of losing my gear worth thousands makes it a sensible option.

Even if I pay those premiums for 20 years it still wouldn't cover the cost of all my equipment. After 20 years I'll probably not care because I'll be dribbling or pushing up daisies.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, insurance could help.

I have *nearly* left my camera on the dining table in restaurant on more than one occasion. Now I am extra careful about it in the restaurants. In other places it is either across my shoulder or in the bag.

It's so easily done. I draped my wife's rucksac with my MP, 50 Lux and 28 cron (and her credit cards) over the back of a seat in the worst restaurant I've been in. I couldn't wait to leave, and after 2 hours back at the Motel I realised I'd left the sac. You can imagine my relief when I walked into the restaurant as they were closing up, and saw the sac still draped over the back of the seat. Thank heavens for their slovenliness!

Pete

I have a recurring dream of this happening – in restaurants, on trains, in airports, at park benches.... I go back and sometimes it's there, sometimes not. Pretty pathetic, huh?

John 

Edited by johnwolf

• 8 months later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just in case it gets deleted

Pete