LUF Admin

Happy Birthday, Digital Leica M!

It seemed as if for years that Leica told us a digital M would not be possible, even though there existed quite a clamor for a body on which to use M glass. When the M8 was introduced in ‘06 they disappeared off dealer’s shelves immediately. $4800 seemed pricey, too. Somehow I scraped together the money and got one of the second batch in Feb 07. I would say it changed photography for me. I had it three years, then one day someone posted his broken shutter on LUF and I quickly sold mine, fearing the same fate. Neither an M9P nor an M-P had the same impact. Then I made my second mistake, selling my M8.2, after a trip to Italy and bemoaning a lack of long glass. That was four years ago and today I have a better idea where I want to go with my photography. Hence #2 M8.2. 

Edited by Photoskeptic

Well, I'm sort of late. I bought my M8 in January this year. While an experienced amateur with Leica film cameras since 2002, the M8 has changed the game for me. Now I've got also an M9. Here is a picture of that beauty:

Yes, congratulations... 2018 was my 10th anniversary of owning two M8 cameras, one silver and one black. No regrets, I still have them, and I have learned a lot. Two lessons presented themselves early. First I had read the admiration for the B&W results, so determined to make that my mode of use. But I kept peeking at the color raw files and realized that I am a color photographer by preference. No more B&W after that! Secondly, soon afterwards I went on a trip to Malta and Sicily with them. The color results on this trip convinced me that the UV/IR cut filter was necessary after all. And 6-bit coding.

The cameras have been generally reliable, though I had a sensor column fault with the silver one, and while at Leica for this service I opted also for the upgrade M8.2 shutter and frameline mask. I intend to keep using this camera for the foreseeable future despite having other newer ones as well. Thank you Leica!