LUF Admin

Happy Birthday, Digital Leica M!

My M8 dates from 2009 and it's mainly used these days by my daughter when she borrows it for holidays and special occasions. Meanwhile I have a M9-P and a MM first type, both bought used with very low number of actuations.

One of the first frames (No. 25) showing my wife while making glass beads.

Gerd

One people - 3 Leicas - One Lens:

M4 - 1998

M6 - 2007

M - 2015

Happy Birthday Digital Leica Ms....the very best of companions for anyone's daily walk and the embodiment of fun and creativity.

The image: "Lake" Lagoon, our Spring finally arrived this week, in between rain storms.

M9 and 28 Elmarit.

Edited by platypus

One people - 3 Leicas - One Lens:

M4 - 1998

Laura_1998.jpg

M6 - 2007

Laura_2007.jpg

M - 2015

Laura_2015.jpg

Love that series Luigi...and the change of "innocence" as she gets older.

For the last few years I have "relegated" my M8.2 to be my black and white only camera.

Recently I have had a rethink and have started using it as the colour camera that it has always been. This is not to say that I have fallen out with my later M9 and M240 but just that I have been a bit blind to the M8.2 and with probably a bit more PP the colour images from it are actually very nice.

I am working on an ongoing project to document the de-industrialisation of my home town and this is one that I recently took on the M8.2 with 15mm Voigtlander lens.

I am creating the whole project in colour and the camera is now used as part of my workflow as I especially like it with the little Voigtlander that gives a very nice 21mm without any red edge at all.

As a Black and White documentary camera, I still think that the M8 is the very best giving to me at least the very good TRI-X film like B&W look.

This was from a series that I did on the fear of families of British Soldiers serving in Afghanistan.

This lady was worried sick about her son and prayed daily for his safe return.

I used the M8.2 with 28mm Elmarit V3 that gives a very nice 35mm equivalent.

Edited by paulmac

Another B&W documentary picture from the M8.2 and 15mm Voigtlander MK1 lens.

This was from a series that I did about the last residents of a now demolished street in Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

This lady and her granddaughter were amongst the last to be re-housed and leave the soon to be demolished street.

Happy Birthday!
Though my M8 and M9 are now geriatric by today's electronic standards, they still perform impressively for me.  These are a few from this year:

Nature and Noctilux: Grand Canyon and Noctilux @ f1.0, M9, Heliopan 8X ND

IR Affliction to IR Affection: Noctilux @ f1.0, M8, B+W 092 IR-695

Thanks for looking!

-rei

Congrats to Elie for managing this wonderful project about the 10th birthday of the beloved M8  

Really a true M camera, producing files with film alike appearance. A must for Classic M shooters in their accommodation to digital.

Long live M8 & M8.2

I haven't found other digital cameras producing this kind of files except the M9s & Ricoh GR

This was my fourth shot with a vintage lens. Perfect matching and great results.

When the M8 was announced I couldn't wait to get my hands on one, so I ordered one from a German dealer before they were available here in the USA. I had a rough start because my first camera died after two weeks. It was replaced and that one died after 10 days. My third one lasted less than a week. Still, I stuck with it because I really wanted to use my Leica glass on a good digital camera. Finally, Leica techs figured out that there was a faulty batch of transistors causing the "sudden death syndrome" and they put a new M8 in my hands that worked perfectly (once i got proper filters on all my lenses). One of my first assignments with the M8 was photographing Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama. We were in a very dark room and I was right next to him so I had to shoot available light. I wasn't about to fire a strobe right next to his face. I was plenty worried because I was forced to shoot at 2500 ISO, and the M8 had a very bad reputation for high ISO performance. The result was a batch of images that had lots of noise, but I actually didn't mind it because compared to other digital cameras, it looked more like film grain to me. Even looking at the images today, I still don't mind the noise. I've stuck with Leica digital cameras and Leica glass ever since and am really glad I did. My M8 is long gone, but several others have come after it. They just get better and better.

Happy Digital Birthday, Leica!