Leica M 240 Purchase Recommendation

Advertisement (gone after registration)

my first lens was a Summarit 35mm f2.4

but I bought a second one pretty fast

50 summilux.

The 35mm Summarit is a great lens though. Super light and compact. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

... and then you can live dangerously Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

If you are undecided about silver or black, take a card to visit each dealer and shoot a few tests with the same lens on each body.   My experience suggests that it is unlikely both bodies have the same RF calibration. So you might find that one body gives you actual images preferable over the other. That finding could be your deciding point.   Someone who lives near Frankfurt will likely say, oh send any body to Wetzlar and they can match it to your lens. True. But what if you can get it ri

I have a silver M-P 240. Most of my lenses are black. The combination looks great.

I have nevertheless decided to go for the Silver M240 as I guess it might look good with either the Silver or a Black lens. I have a Silver OM-D and a black lens on it looks absolutely gorgeous. 

Now coming to the lens, I might not have the funds right now to go for the Leica Summilux 35, but I could definitely afford the much cheaper Zeiss ZM 35mm lens. It is sort of limited, but I like the images that I could get with the Zeiss lens on a Leica M body.

The zeiss 35/2 is a superb lens. It is no slouch. Get it and enjoy it.

Pete

Yes, actually that would be my next question. How do I check the serial number against the Leica website? Could you point me to some sources where and how I should look for the serial number on the camera? I would go to the dealer and ask him for the serial number on the silver M240 and perhaps check that against Leica customer care. Is that how I do?

You can always mail to Leica if you want the serial nummer to be checked. They obliged me a few times.

But that silver M240 that I see with the meister-camera does not come with the Leica warranty! It is just a used one that comes with a limited 1 year dealer warranty!

If it doesn't break down in a year, I doesn't break down in two years, maybe it will break down in four years...

I will be going to the Wetzlar store this weekend and I was told that they have a total of 3 pieces of M240 in Silver. So what would be the criteria for me to pick one out of the three? I can already see that I will pick the one that has very little scratches on it. What else should I check for? Is there a way to find out the manufacturing date?

Edited by joesan

I will be going to the Wetzlar store this weekend and I was told that they have a total of 3 pieces of M240 in Silver. So what would be the criteria for me to pick one out of the three? I can already see that I will pick the one that has very little scratches on it. What else should I check for? Is there a way to find out the manufacturing date?

When the serial# starts with 4715 it's 3 years old.

I remember reading through some posts that the rangefinder could do out of calibration. How do I check for this in the camera while I'm at the Wetzlar store?

Don't , The camera in the store must be ok. You have warranty I assume?

I remember reading through some posts that the rangefinder could do out of calibration. How do I check for this in the camera while I'm at the Wetzlar store?

The M (Typ 240) can do live view. You can check on the screen or in the EVF whether the sharpness in the image is where it belongs. Bring along a rangefinder test chart.

The M (Typ 240) can do live view. You can check on the screen or in the EVF whether the sharpness in the image is where it belongs. Bring along a rangefinder test chart.

All the testing in the shop really has no use, when one doesn't have the experience with a former Leica M.

Buy the camera, enjoy the craftmanship. Use it and learn. If something breaks down, or is maladjusted, it always can be fixed. I have my Leica QM 240 ( demo by Leica ) now for three years. There was nothing wrong with it. With all my Leicas I had the same experience. They are great. When something is broken or wrong somewhere along the using period, it always can be fixed ( free of charge , during warrenty and sometimes outside warrantyperiod ) . If you don't trust to buy one from Leica Wetzlar, you just can forget it. Don't buy a Leica , or any camera because they are mechanical and everything mechanical will break down at a given moment.

Just relax and enjoy the experience of having and buying a wonderful camera.

Interesting thread with useful informations about demos sold in the beautiful (I have been there!) Wetzlar shop,  thanks to all who contribute.

Just a question: is there a web site where to look at which models (demos or refurbished) are available from that shop? I tried to navigate the site but didn't find it!

robert