Leica M 240 Purchase Recommendation

joesan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes! I'm from Germany!

Ah - that makes life a lot easier. I see a very nice M240 here. And they are utterly reliable:

https://www.meister-camera.com/en/sh_leica_m/72

And even nicer and IMO dead cheap:

The beginner set, basically you get a free lens. (1735 Euro off on the set) and the real Leica M experience without distractions like an LCD.

https://www.meister-camera.com/en/product/6546/leica-m-beginner-set

I have a silver M-P 240. Most of my lenses are black. The combination looks great.

I completely agree with this! My OM-D EM 5 is silver and I have a black 12-40 lens and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Here is a linke to check that, but it is for micro four thirds: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html

Edited by joesan

Ah - that makes life a lot easier. I see a very nice M240 here. And they are utterly reliable:

https://www.meister-camera.com/en/sh_leica_m/72

And even nicer and IMO dead cheap:

The beginner set

https://www.meister-camera.com/en/product/6546/leica-m-beginner-set

But that silver M240 that I see with the meister-camera does not come with the Leica warranty! It is just a used one that comes with a limited 1 year dealer warranty!

Edited by joesan

Give them a telephone call. You cannot check from the website. One thing you'll learn when entering the Leica world: the optimal way to deal with the company is on a personal level, Leica does not operate like a large company, they deal individually with individuals as best they can. It has its drawbacks, but more advantages.

Actually Wetzlar is not far off from where I stay. I drove to the Wetzlar store two weeks ago and they told me that they have a M240 in Silver (a demo model) that would cost somewhere around 4.8k with the standard 2 year Leica warranty. I haven't taken a look at the camera yet, but what is your impression on it? The M240 in Silver offer that I got from the dealer nearby told me that the demo pieces from Leica store Wetzlar could actually have taken some beating as it would have been handled by many visitors during the trade fairs. Should I consider the Wetzlar store than the dealer? 

That is nonsense. The demo cameras in the Leica factory store are usually  cameras with some defect that caused QC to put them into the production process again to rectify. According to DIN certification these cannot be sold as new cameras, although they are.

• Like 2

That is nonsense. The demo cameras in the Leica factory store are usually  cameras with some defect that caused QC to put them into the production process again to rectify. According to DIN certification these cannot be sold as new cameras, although they are.

So should I stay away from the Wetzlar store demo models?

No, on the contrary. Personally I would prefer one. They are a good price for a camera that is 100 % and double-checked.

Perfect! Then I think I would better get it from the Wetzlar store, but the problem is - where to dump my Nikon D3200 and the 105 Macro. The Wetzlar store would not take my DSLR and if I go for used lenses for my M240, then I would need to offer my DSLR on ebay and it would take ages to get them sold off. If not, then I could perhaps sell it to the dealer nearby and go for a new M lens! Let me see what I end up with! But thanks to all the suggestions. It helped me a got!

Yeah...my 240 is a demo model as well. I got it from Meister camera in Hamburg. 

Got it for 5.200Euros and it looks like a new one...ever the guy at meister camera was irritated. 

He told me, that sometimes they get to sell demo models which look like brand new ones. 

My demo model has a 2 year warranty from the day I bought it :) 

Uhm...mine wasnt on the website, just give them a call or a mail. That's how I got mine...

http://www.leica-store-muenchen.de/de/gebraucht/gebrauchtkameras/kategorie/leica-m/produkt/leica-m240-chrom-2.html

This one looks pretty good...but no 2 year warranty from Leica I guess

Yeah...my 240 is a demo model as well. I got it from Meister camera in Hamburg. 

Got it for 5.200Euros and it looks like a new one...ever the guy at meister camera was irritated. 

He told me, that sometimes they get to sell demo models which look like brand new ones. 

My demo model has a 2 year warranty from the day I bought it :)

Uhm...mine wasnt on the website, just give them a call or a mail. That's how I got mine...

http://www.leica-store-muenchen.de/de/gebraucht/gebrauchtkameras/kategorie/leica-m/produkt/leica-m240-chrom-2.html

This one looks pretty good...but no 2 year warranty from Leica I guess

The Leica store at Wetzlar told me that the demo models are sold at a discount of 25% from the original price. Given the hefty price tag of a Leica M, a 25% off looks big!

I have made up my mind to visit the Wetzlar store probably next week and get a Silver M240. Hamburg is too far from where I live and I would personally like to visit the store, have a look at the camera, check for wear and tear and then decide.

• Like 2

The Leica store at Wetzlar told me that the demo models are sold at a discount of 25% from the original price. Given the hefty price tag of a Leica M, a 25% off looks big!

I have made up my mind to visit the Wetzlar store probably next week and get a Silver M240. Hamburg is too far from where I live and I would personally like to visit the store, have a look at the camera, check for wear and tear and then decide.

If you don't want to splash out on a new Leica lens have a look at some of the older designs. I'm constantly impressed by the imaging qualty of lenses such as the old 50 f2.8 Elmar and f2 Summitar both collapsible and both from the 1950s (I think). Also the 35 f2.8 Summaron. They'd look great on your silver M too.

For example, take a look through this Summitar thread.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

I am prepared to contribute to the Leica Forum for this obvious advert outside of the buy and sell section. I've done it before as the moderators and Andrea will attest, and paid generously.

I have a black Leica M Summilux 50mm f/1.4 that I wish to sell, and I have a chrome Voigtlander 50 mm f/1.5 that I wish to sell.

Offers accepted in euros. The Voigtlander around €600, the Summilux around €2000. Insured postage to Germany around €40 for the Voigtlander, around €80 for the Summilux.

Any new user of Leica cameras might baulk at lens prices. The simple fact is that Leica lenses are made from Corning glass who are the best glass manufacturers in the world.

Leica then ground the glass to make perfect lenses.

My understanding is that Voigtlander use a cheaper source of glass but the quality is nearly as good.

Anyone starting out with an M body needs to find their feet when it comes to lenses. I have learnt that I like the 6-bit modern lenses. Each to their own.

Please let me know if anything here interests you. BTW, the Summilux used to be my favourite lens until I discovered the Summicron APO 50mm f/2. That is another story.

Best of luck with your new purchase of a camera body from Wetzlar.

I would get back to you should I need any M lenses. As for now, I have decided to get the Zeiss 35mm f2 lens and I will probably stick with only this lens on my M. I have a Olympus OM-D EM5-Mark II already covering up the 24-80 FF equivalent spectrum, so I would not be investing on any other focal length other than the 35mm on my Leica M.

With what I know now... and after a couple of years or so getting used to my M (yes, it has taken that long... and no, I am not new to photography), I would now buy the same camera I have, M240P.

Buying new would be preferable for the reasons stated above - and I am sure there will be some very interesting deals going on soon - but possibly an ex-dem direct from Wetzlar. However, I think that is the easy part of the decision. The most difficult, particularly to those new to Leica, is that first lens.

Its so tempting having accepted spending a small fortune on the body to try to find a way of keeping the overall cost down. Resist the temptation. You would be better buying a cheaper body if funds don't allow you to stretch that bit further.

One thing I am certain of, if I was only ever going to buy one lens for my M, it would be Leica lens... Probably a 35, and so that would narrow it down to just one if I wanted to experience everything I hoped for in experiencing Leica M in one, single lens system...

I would absolutely certainly buy a Summilux 35 ASPH FLE to go with my M. No doubt whatsoever. It has everything I associate with Leica and Leica photography... fast, small (its all relative!), superb optical performance but with real character.

It would be the perfect single lens M system and one I should have bought when I started out...

Again, probably used, but mint and fully checked out - Wetzlar again, for a refurbished one possibly?

No question though... M240P and Summilux 35 FLE would be my combination of choice of I was starting out again... Lesson learned.

And by buying ex-dem or refurbished direct from Leica, you will have something of real value, with a good pedigree which you can sell on in a year or two if you find it doesn't suit you and the Summilux 35 FLE will, in particular, hold its value.

So, without doubt, if you want a genuine Leica M experience, once in your life, I strongly suggest it should be with a Leica lens*... otherwise why bother? 

*(If on the other hand you plan to end up with a multitude of different lenses, then obviously Voightlander, Zeiss and a few others all have their advocates and all produce images that appeal for different reasons - and some are absolutely superb in performance... so it makes sense in a system... but if you only wanted to use ONE lens???).

Edited by Bill Livingston

Welcome to the forum! 

For me, the color choice is simple: I always pick black if there's any option. Done. :-)

Regards what the dealers are saying about the specific cameras, the only things that matter are a) what is the condition of the specific camera you are considering, and B) what does the provided warranty cover. 

I buy new whenever I can, which hasn't been always, and generally whatever I buy comes from a reputable dealer whom I've known for a long, long time. I've not had any issues with the equipment I've bought from the dealer, and his service has been such that I'm sure if any issues developed, he'd help me to the extent of what he could do. Whenever I call to ask about something, he asks me how I'm getting on with the last equipment I bought from him, and whether I need anything taken care of. This is what I consider to be a good dealer and a good relationship with the dealer. Anything else is just a transfer of money for goods, which I could do at a big box store with any sealed new goods. 

I have nevertheless decided to go for the Silver M240 as I guess it might look good with either the Silver or a Black lens. I have a Silver OM-D and a black lens on it looks absolutely gorgeous. 

Now coming to the lens, I might not have the funds right now to go for the Leica Summilux 35, but I could definitely afford the much cheaper Zeiss ZM 35mm lens. It is sort of limited, but I like the images that I could get with the Zeiss lens on a Leica M body.