For four years I have waited for this day which has not come

M28

Looks like this will be the announcement of two limited edition Q cameras.

http://leicarumors.com/2016/09/24/leica-q-indonesia-edition-2016-camera.aspx/

Mike.

That's not what Rumors is indicating.....different posts that they have not linked together, even in the comments section.

It's interesting that the event is called a 'preview'....might not be a release at all.

Jeff

Didn't the R-system get it's continuation in the SL, 1+ years ago? A new M will come, but things takes time in Leica-land.

I beg to differ. The R system got discontinued. Full stop. Subsequent developments, which allow for the use of R lenses, are not native but at the very least require adaptors - be it on the M or on the SL. Lack of native R mount hardly qualifies as continuation.

I beg to differ. The R system got discontinued. Full stop. Subsequent developments, which allow for the use of R lenses, are not native but at the very least require adaptors - be it on the M or on the SL. Lack of native R mount hardly qualifies as continuation.

You are correct; R is and remains discontinued ;) . From some user's perspective, the SL is a great platform for the (still) excellent R-optics. So SL may be used as a modern, workable alternative to the R-system. This is, at least, how I see it.

• Like 2

As an FYI, after 3 years (or so) the M240 IMHO is still lens dependent. i.e. the lens makes a bigger difference then the sensor

No doubt the M260 will have more pixels, ISO and DR + some cool feature - but in the final analysis it'll be much less of an upgrade then the M240 was to the M9, or the M9 to the M8.

As digital gets better we are now entering an incremental world of IQ where other factors (e.g. usability, joy, etc.) take priority over anyone's definition of straight IQ.

Which is why the M240/262 could easily be my last digital camera. Except it won't as its inevitable I'll get the M260 at some point :o  But will I really need it ???

rgds

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was at Photokina last Friday, at the leica booth.

i was wearing one of my mechanical watches and...by chance one of the Leica guys was wearing exctly the same watch. 

We talked a lot on the virtues and pains of these particular brand of mechanical watches and then i shot THE question: 

"when will we see the next M ? You know my eyes are getting old and with my M9 i have focusing problems.."

"Soon" he answered

"what do you mean with soon? Weeks, months or years?"

"weeks" was his answer - but no more details.

another point:

i was talking about buyig a Leica T for my wife and was complaining about the cost of the external viewfinder.

the same guy said: "yeah, but i can assure you that you will use it with the next M".

This could mean that the next M might not have an integrated EVF but will still use the external one,

i do not know how trustworthy this answers are, but i just wanted to share them with you.

regards

franco

PS: sorry for my poor English.

• Like 7

Good news about a new M.

The second comment about the EVF could mean several things:

- the new M will use the old external EVF (ROTFLMAO).

- the new M will use the current T's EVF.(LMAO).

- the new M and a new T2 (?) will both use the same, new, EVF (the best of the three possibilities).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

be assured t

Good news about a new M.

- the new M and a new T2 (?) will both use the same, new, EVF (the best of the three possibilities).

Be reassured that, as before, whatever EVF the next M uses, it will be outdated technology on release ;-)

• Like 1

Good news about a new M.

It means the new M will use the T's EVF which is very good, although not market leading

The EVF on the M is a frame tool for ultra wide or telephoto lenses. It is not meant to supplant the optical mechanical rangefinder for 28-135mm which is the main event

Those who want an EVF CSC camera know where they can find one.

Given that Leica spend 3 years designing the new M (and you can be assured if the M260 is about to be released they are already designing the M280)

More interesting is that the EVF for the T is tiltable and has built in GPS.

Finally IMHO it makes sense for Leica to make a splash announcing the new M and T in a separate conference after Photokina

• Like 2

Oh, please, don't let a new M use the T EVF! Not unless is redesigned. As much of a T fan as I am, hate the look of EVF on the T. I use it but ......

And just how do we go from the 262 to the 260 as the new M? This numbering system is haywire.

Edited by billinghambaglady

As digital gets better we are now entering an incremental world of IQ where other factors (e.g. usability, joy, etc.) take priority over anyone's definition of straight IQ.

Exactly. An analogy is the development of inkjet printers. The revolution that took place some 5+ years ago - possibly materialised with the EPSON 2200 ("Ultra-high quality archival inkjet printing has truly arrived!") desktop printer - has now moved to more incremental improvements.

Which is why the M240/262 could easily be my last digital camera. Except it won't as its inevitable I'll get the M260 at some point :o  But will I really need it ???

Yes. And likely not. (answering for myself...).

• Like 1

Oh, please, don't let a new M use the T EVF! Not unless is redesigned. As much of a T fan as I am, hate the look of EVF on the T. I use it but ......

And just how do we go from the 262 to the 260 as the new M? This numbering system is haywire.

The new M has to start as a minimum of Typ 263.

So what happened to the Typ 241-245 and 247-261? Are they all stored in a vault at Wetzlar, never to be released? What innovations might they have included?