For four years I have waited for this day which has not come

M28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica M10 aka M240 was announced 4 years ago and released about 3.5 years ago. I was disappointed that it was such a minor improvement on the M9 and yet the price escalated dramatically.

I was delighted at the arrival of the M APO-Summicron 50mm f2. and waited for a much improved iso camera that was not the M240 with a big sensor full of megapixels so that I could see wall sized photographs using my projector.

I have been waiting patiently for Photokina 2016 to see the new M and to order it. and what did I get?

I got offered a sofort

A glorified Polaroid camera.

WHY, WHY LEICA ? Why do you do this to me?

You used PHOTOKINA to announce a camera that was used primarily to photograph nudie shots that you never had to send to the labs for developing.

Champion move.

• Like 3

The Leica M10 aka M240 was announced 4 years ago and released about 3.5 years ago. I was disappointed that it was such a minor improvement on the M9 and yet the price escalated dramatically.

I thought the M has always been about the same price as the M9 hasn't it?

I guess it can't be over yet, right? It is only the second day...I imagine that they must have something up their sleeves, as an instant camera, a lens roadmap and a special edition are not enough. Especially since they say that this year they are supposed to be focused on professionals...

My hope is that they are waiting until Thursday or Friday to unveil their big announcement, whatever it is...

• Like 2

The low light on M240 slightly improved but far behind Nikon, pixels improved but far behind Nikon, the rangefinder greatly improved but hopefully can do better. Not really good video, expected way better. Heavier camera, thicker camera. Picture quality initially was criticised many people still like the m9 look more and some even prefer the M8 look better but like me did not appreciate lack of full frame. It was not much improved.

I was delighted at the arrival of the M APO-Summicron 50mm f2. and waited for a much improved iso camera that was not the M240 with a big sensor full of megapixels so that I could see wall sized photographs using my projector.

I have been waiting patiently for Photokina 2016 to see the new M and to order it. and what did I get?

I got offered a sofort

You used PHOTOKINA to announce a camera that was used primarily to photograph nudie shots that you never had to send to the labs for developing.

Champion move.

I share your disappointment about no new M but my 246 has live view, evf, can shoot video and usable iso up to 10.000 and, last but not least, no rottening sensor. I don't consider these to be minor improvements over the M9. Oh...and I don't want to hear about the M8 and those ricolous filters, that was the camera that made me walk away from Leica for a number of years. Edited by Giulio Zanni

I got offered a sofort

Champion move.

a. What is wrong with the M240? It is an optimally usuable camera with excellent results.

b. The change from the M9 was quite dramatic: Better build quality, better rangefinder, more reliable, better ISO performance, exceedingly extended versatility.

c.The price  is approximately the same as the M9 was. Any higher price in some parts of the world was  due to currency fluctuations.

The Leica M9P was 6000 Euro, the M240 is 6600 Euro. 10% difference...

What is the hurry to "upgrade"? If an upgrade it will be. Many of us are in no hurry at all to replace the M240. I strongly suspect that the successor will be more slanted to attract new users to the system than to get present owners to trade their cameras in.

You must have a pretty masochistic streak in you to have bought such a junk camera. I think that your are well off that there is no successor yet - you'll find it even worse.

• Like 9

Hmm let me backtrack a bit.

I was disappointed more than the camera was improved. The m240 is still a great camera and it held its value far far better than the M9 did. It's a good camera.

At the time however the other guys were doing better things , the red cameras were streaks ahead, the Nikon had major megapixels and the low light capability and the canon was just great at all round everything.

When the M9 came out it was better than the others.

I'm just a film photographer so what do I know, but it seems to me that the M240 was quite a big update on the M9.

I accept that there are outliers, and the OP may be one, who need absolute cutting edge everything in a camera, but Leica is not the the brand for that due to the longer product cycles.

The reference to red cameras is that to RED? I have difficulty understanding how the OP can expect a rangefinder camera to beat the competition in all the areas in which RED, Nikon and Canon and "all the other guys" excel.

Philip

• Like 3

I guess it can't be over yet, right? It is only the second day...I imagine that they must have something up their sleeves, as an instant camera, a lens roadmap and a special edition are not enough. Especially since they say that this year they are supposed to be focused on professionals...

My hope is that they are waiting until Thursday or Friday to unveil their big announcement, whatever it is...

No they don't. Don'tget your hopes up.

Leica has clearly decided that the Photokina is not the right place to release relevant new products. And they are right in that case. What sense does it make for a small manufacturer to try and get attention in the PR tsunami of the large corporations? Introductions throughout the year by way of the Internet are far more effective. They only need to maintain a presence on such a show.

• Like 3

The price increase in Australia was massively huge between m9 and m240

Australia is not the place where the camera is built and priced...

When the M9 came out it was better than the others.

Really? As I remember it was hammered for poor ISO performance, low DXO scores compared to cheaper brands, not the highest resolution on the market  and electronic unreliability...