For four years I have waited for this day which has not come

M28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm pleased that the new M wasn't released although there are a number of improvements I'd like to see.

No retail pressure/GAS.

I can just hang onto my Monochrome v1 and M240, and enjoy using what I have.

Unless I decide to venture into medium format  :rolleyes:

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 5

It seems to me that nothing major has been released by Leica at Photokina for several years. The two biggest releases recently of the Q and SL were not done at Photokina. Think about all of the publicity they received for both of those cameras by releasing them on their own and away from the hype of that show. It just seems as if things are "too" quiet right now and makes me think that something big is on the way...

• Like 3

The low light on M240 slightly improved but far behind Nikon, pixels improved but far behind Nikon, the rangefinder greatly improved but hopefully can do better. Not really good video, expected way better. Heavier camera, thicker camera. Picture quality initially was criticised many people still like the m9 look more and some even prefer the M8 look better but like me did not appreciate lack of full frame. It was not much improved.

I couldn't care less how "far behind Nikon" the M typ 240/246/262 might be. I have a Nikon D750, I have M-P typ 240, I have M-D typ 262, and SL typ 601. The three Leicas make photos that are so much nicer than the D750, and work so much more the way I want, that I haven't touched the D750 in almost a year.

So much bellyaching because Leica decided to give the kids a little fun and produced an Instax instant film camera. Sheesh. Frankly, if you can't make world class photographs with any of Leica's current Ms, the problem is not with the camera. 

• Like 15

The release of the Sofort was ok with me. I've actually thought of buying one! I think my grown daughters would love me snapping shots of the grandkids and then seeing them  instantaneously. 

Yet I am waiting expectantly for the next M!

Edited by Jeffry Abt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually, Nikon is still quite behind Leica in developing a digital rangefinder camera and a system of rangefinder lenses.

And the M240 had a dramatically improved shutter sound over the noisy shutter of the M9.  And there was no price increase at all.  

And then there was the significant price drop with the introduction of the M262 version.

• Like 2

What is the hurry to "upgrade"? If an upgrade it will be. Many of us are in no hurry at all to replace the M240. I strongly suspect that the successor will be more slanted to attract new users to the system than to get present owners to trade their cameras in.

BRAVO!!!

• Like 1

Consumer product purchasing is a life of unremitting disappointment interspersed with tiny periods of joy.

Waiting for the next Leica model which will be better ... usually ..... and often not by much ...... is futile.

You either need the camera that is available now, in which case, buy it, or sit patiently dreaming of some mythical wundercamera that may never appear .... or be superseded almost immediately by the competition. 

Such is life. Don't blame Leica. 

You can tell by what Leica has done with the T, Q and SL what is likely to be in the next M ....... and for it to remain an 'M' the changes are not going to be ground-breaking ..... just incremental. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Death, broken hearts, and empty bottles are legitimate causes for grief and despair. Not cameras, not with the embarrassment of photographic riches that surrounds us.

Yet I, too, sometimes feel that disappointment. I think this comes from the highly pleasurable illusion that art should be easy, and that the right camera or lens can make it so. But reality is entirely different. The history of photography is one of overcoming technical limitations through ingenuity and determination. The history of all art, really. So, I take a moment to re-frame my mental context by admiring the work -- and respecting the tribulations -- of other photographers. This inspires me, in Tennyson's words, "to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

All the best,

Jon

Lyrics from an old song that fit your grief:

Gloom despair and agony on me.....

Deep dark depression excessive misery.......

It it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.......

Gloom despair and agony on me.

The Internet is killing the importance of the 'Big Event' method of marketing. In addition I think Leica, not being in a race to the bottom (or, the length of the feature list), can announce at a time and place of their choosing, as befits a company as unique as they say they and their products are. I don't care. I'll keep shooting my Ms, a camera so perfect at its introduction it has been EoL for sixty years, and going.

BR549,

s-a

I like you M28. Good sense of humour. 

Jon Pop also raises some good points. I agree in a sense. And I'm still searching for a digital camera that would be perfect for my own needs, rather than push the limits of technological specifications in relation to the competition. 

However, M28 touched on a very relevant and saddening point: Leica's marketing team has really let itself down. Again. 

Leica's Photokina marketing message: Leica will be focusing on the professional. 

Interesting...

Reality:  Leica releases as its only camera what is (essentially) a rebadged fuji instax at twice the price. 

Colossal disappointment...

Previously I would have given the 2016 marketing failure award to Nikon for featuring a Fuji X100 on one of its posters, and handing out an award to a blatant photoshopping fraud. But now I think Leica just took the biscuit with its sortof camera release, usage of canon cameras to shoot its sortof commercials, and relationship with Huawei that was bold but poorly communicated. 

• Like 2

Colossal disappointment...

Previously I would have given the 2016 marketing failure award to Nikon for featuring a Fuji X100 on one of its posters, and handing out an award to a blatant photoshopping fraud. But now I think Leica just took the biscuit with its sortof camera release, usage of canon cameras to shoot its sortof commercials, and relationship with Huawei that was bold but poorly communicated. 

Actually ...... as posted elsewhere, Leica rarely release headline products at Photokina, and with all the big guns there it is likely anything would be swamped by their competitors products anyway. 

..... and there is no point announcing something 9 months before you can release it .... and when it has only been half tested ........ as it just ends up annoying people who wait endlessly ..... as Leica have found out to their cost in the past. 

Being low volume producers they have their own specific issues that make product release rather more risky and difficult compared to the big brands.

Edited by thighslapper

The Leica M10 aka M240 was announced 4 years ago and released about 3.5 years ago. I was disappointed that it was such a minor improvement on the M9 and yet the price escalated dramatically.

I was delighted at the arrival of the M APO-Summicron 50mm f2. and waited for a much improved iso camera that was not the M240 with a big sensor full of megapixels so that I could see wall sized photographs using my projector.

M9 price at introduction - $US6995.

M(240) price at introduction - $US6950.

M240 cost $50 LESS than M9 at intro. Now, it's possible that at the end of the M9 run, the price was dropped through rebates or otherwise in a "clearance sale." Just as the M240 is currently listed as $6595 ($400 price break) at the big US stores.

"Much improved iso camera....full of megapixels" - better study some physics; there is a mutual incompatability between more (i.e. smaller area) pixels and improved ISO performance. Check out the ISO performance of the Canon 5DRS or Nikon D810 or Sony A7RII - compared to the regular Canon 5DIII, Nikon D5, and Sony A7s. You want improved ISO? Stick with ~20 Mpixels (or only 12, in the case of the Sony 7s).

As to Leica vs Nikon technology.... the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Nikon's first aperture-priority AE SLR - Nikkormat EL, 1972; first AP AE professional SLR, F3, 1982.

Leica's first aperture-priority AE M rangefinder - M7, 2002

You want 2016 Nikon tech in a Leica M? Just buy your new M in 2036-2046. ;)

As to the Sofort - Leica's been re-badging other people's consumer cameras for decades. The C11 APS camera, or the many FujiLeica and PanaLeica digitals. Precisely because it allows them to avoid expending much R&D money or brain-power on that end of the market. Leaving more for developing the next M - whenever it appears.

• Like 5

Personally, I'm not disappointed at all. While its true there are certainly aspects of the 240 family that are deserving of a refresh, the good news is that my M is the same camera today that it was two days ago, and so remains my favorite tool of all time for making photographs.  If there's any emotion at all, its more like relief. No need to decide if a new next gen M is worth the $$$, no decision making around keep the 240 as a backup, another year's budget can be devoted to expanding my lens collection, a lifetime investment rather than a three to five year one in a new body and, of course, if another year passes, the next gen will hopefully be that much more capable than the last making the value proposition far stronger.

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1

The Leica M10 aka M240 was announced 4 years ago and released about 3.5 years ago. I was disappointed that it was such a minor improvement on the M9 and yet the price escalated dramatically.

I was delighted at the arrival of the M APO-Summicron 50mm f2. and waited for a much improved iso camera that was not the M240 with a big sensor full of megapixels so that I could see wall sized photographs using my projector.

So your two big complaints are ISO limits and the number of pixels?

I do a lot of night photography - like really in the dark. What limit do you actually run into with your photography that couldn't be fixed with a Noctilux or even a Summilux? What I actually find is that I can't see to focus and must use tricks like use a flashlight to focus when I don't have enough light to take a picture at f/1.4 ISO3200 and 1/15s (the best that I can do handheld with a 50mm). In the cases when you can't get the shot in low light, is it really the camera's fault? Are you really limited by ISO or are you limited by your ability as a photographer? When I ask myself that question, most of the time I find that it really isn't the camera it is me. e.g.  https://goo.gl/photos/sRjXBBZkYX5hrwPm7 where my illumination was a single flashing LED.

There are no projectors that I'm aware of which can directly display on a wall at the resolution of that the M240 takes pictures at. If you are seeing pixels, then they are the fault of the projector not the fault of the camera. At work to visualize very high resolution data we need to use things like https://str.llnl.gov/str/October04/Ahern.html So what is the problem that you are actually having with the 24MP M240?

Printing things out wall sized, that may be a different matter. However, there are algorithms built into post processing programs that make even images captured on a smart phone suitable for billboards. It comes down to using the right technique rather than a limitation of the camera.

• Like 1

I upgraded from M9 to M240.  I do not find the IQ or ISO noise that much improved.  I do not see any improvement in clarity or accuracy or reliability of the rangefinder.  I learned to live without the frameline lever.  I detest the LED-lit frame line display.  I have never used the video mode or Live View on the LCD, and only rarely the EVF (although I have come to appreciate not having to lug a Visoflex when traveling).  I find that although it's not really bigger or much heavier than the M9, the little thumb wheel on the rear of the top plate changed my grip hand position enough that the camera feels much thicker and heavier. 

All that said, not having that assinine whirr after every shot was worth the entire price of admission.  Finally on the 3rd try Leica got a digital M to be as quiet as an entry-level consumer-grade Canikon DSLR and almost as quiet as a film M.   At this point Leica would really need to wow me to get me to upgrade further.  And any hybrid electronic tinkering with the rangefinder would cement my insistence on remaining at the M240. 

• Like 2