New Leica M 240 follow-up in 2017 : The speculations.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Where was the "party" announced?  I'm genuinely curious.

If there was a party announced, those who received the invitations were unusually quiet about it -

I don't know if the invitations were already sent. I only know that the evening/night will not take place 22/23 November anymore. Let's see what will happens next.

I don't know if the invitations were already sent.

I haven’t seen an invitation to a Leica party but having said that, Leica doesn’t always invite me to their parties anyway. I’m a nerd and nerds are no fun at parties; I can’t really blame them.

• Like 4

I haven’t seen an invitation to a Leica party but having said that, Leica doesn’t always invite me to their parties anyway. I’m a nerd and nerds are no fun at parties; I can’t really blame them.

But, if they'r releasing a new M, and having a party to celebrate that it might or might not be 3.8mm thinner (in some dimension), then there's a high chance that one of the editors of the magazine called Leica Fotographie International would be invited.  No matter how boring he might actually be at parties ...

I recall you saying earlier in the year that if Leica was releasing a new M, you would be given a copy to review for LFI.  That would be subject to an NDA; so if they had given you an M, you couldn't say so.  However, as you hadn't been given an M, there was no NDA, so there was no legal constraint from you saying you hadn't been given a new M.

Now, you know what's coming; are you able to say that you have not been given any information about a new M camera and you are not subject to an NDA; and, even better, can you say you are not aware of a new M?  The party's just a bonus, because none of us have been invited either, so when a party we haven't been invited to or told about gets canceled, it's kind of low grade news.  But if you say "no comment", it becomes rather more interesting.  Silence will probably have the same effect - that might even mean the new M is smaller by 3.8mm in some dimension.

I can hardly hold myself with the excitement!

Now, you know what's coming; are you able to say that you have not been given any information about a new M camera and you are not subject to an NDA; and, even better, can you say you are not aware of a new M?  The party's just a bonus, because none of us have been invited either, so when a party we haven't been invited to or told about gets canceled, it's kind of low grade news.  But if you say "no comment", it becomes rather more interesting.  Silence will probably have the same effect - that might even mean the new M is smaller by 3.8mm in some dimension.

Well, you know how it is – if I knew about a slimmer new M I wouldn’t tell and if I didn’t know there wouldn’t be anything I could tell. In any case this 3.8 mm figure bandied about is not correct, not exactly anyway.

• Like 1

Well, you know how it is – if I knew about a slimmer new M I wouldn’t tell and if I didn’t know there wouldn’t be anything I could tell. In any case this 3.8 mm figure bandied about is not correct, not exactly anyway.

But you could say "I don't know".

Apparently you do!

Which means there will be a new M at some stage; and it might, or might not be thinner, but it won't be 3.8mm!

Now there's a surprise ...

PS - okay, this gag has probably run for long enough, and Michael, you're a great sport!

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

And that you've said already, too, in the earlier thread.

To quote Lewis Carroll from ‘The Hunting of the Snark’: What I tell you three times is true.

Yes, there will be a new M, eventually.

• Like 1

^ keyword eventually mentioned! That's like saying "summer will come, eventually" in the middle of winter [emoji23]

For if no new M would be coming, eventually, it would mean Leica has killed the product line or gone out of business.

What a sneaky word to use [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by jlindstrom

So lets be clear about this - a party you didn't know about and weren't interested in and which nobody else had mentioned has been cancelled. And therefore we will have a new M next year which will be 3.8mm thinner? I mean, this has got to sound convincing, hasn't it?  :p

I'm just telling you what I have heard from two diffrent sources. What I don't know, I have also told you. I'm just telling you what I have been told. Not more, not less. I don't have to be convincing.

The problems with rumours is, that you cannot verifiy if it's true, untill the real thing is in your hands.

About the party: If this man says, there used to be a party, than I know he is right. He's a man to be taken very serious, as he has proved the last 20 years to me and he will be invited to it for sure.

As I said , the only thing I really do know, is that I hear more rumours, from people who are " near " Leica  than a few weeks ago.

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

It is quite simple really: Go to Leica’s website and look what is offered unter ‘M’. That’s what the M is as far as Leica earning money is concerned. These are the cameras that Leica can actually sell. Meanwhile they are also busy developing new stuff, but you cannot sell products still under development. Development means spending money, so Leica needs to sell the cameras they have which means they would rather talk about those than about something that isn’t ready. They will talk about it a lot once it is.

Btw, that is also the reason vendors sometimes publish roadmaps for lenses, but rarely for cameras. New lenses typically augment the already existing lenses while a new camera model usually replaces an existing one.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 2

Btw, that is also the reason vendors sometimes publish roadmaps for lenses, but rarely for cameras. New lenses typically augment the already existing lenses while a new camera model usually replaces an existing one.

Lens roadmaps also help one consider a new camera system purchase and whether it potentially serves user needs/preferences.  Too bad Leica hasn't done this, for example with the SL, unlike Fuji with the forthcoming GFX or Hasselblad, which indicates that a roadmap for 7-8 X1D lenses by end 2017 will be available in Q1 or Q2.

Jeff

It is a two-edged sword as Fuji, for example, has experienced: Some customers believe a roadmap to be set in stone and get upset when an expected shipping date slips or a lens turns out different from the original specs given in the roadmap. But yes, a roadmap for lenses is generally quite useful, especially for a new system. I wished Leica would adopt Fuji’s policy of regularly publishing updated roadmaps for lenses, at least for the SL/TL system.