New Leica M 240 follow-up in 2017 : The speculations.

Paulus

If handheld pictures are sharp in native 24mp then they will be sharp in downsized (50 to 24mp) pic as well. The blur may show up in 50mp size and if it bothers someone then they can use tripod.

What I am saying is that a 50mp (or more) sized camera can be used as 24mp camera and it gives option of higher resolution to careful shooters. Best of both worlds.

The only negatives of a 50mp (or more) camer is slower in camera processing (affecting fps) and extra file size.

As for me I do not want a slower camera. I will buy higher mp camera only if the processor is also improved so that camera speed is same or faster.

Hi jmahto,

My comments re: image quality from Canon 5DSr cameras in particular (from their 50MP files) and having distortion with artifacts relates to any large file image I have seen (usually promoting the fabulous image quality they are extolling) comes from primarily wide angle lenses and often zoom lenses (and usually their Flagship best of the best L lenses).

None of these images from Raw files compare to what is available from hand held images from an M240 using ASPH lens and in many cases Mandler series lenses (that I also own and love).

Bottom line is the combined design and manufacture of the M series system of bodies and lenses is superior to anything available for MY  type of shooting……IMHO.

If I want the best image quality for my own work……this is what I use, definitely NOT hand holdable - (not my photo as you can see, I hope Ming doesn't mind me using his image of my rig)  :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by 4X5B&W

Ah, found an image of my actual rig,

Mint Hasselblad 553 ELX body $300, mint diopter focusing hood $150, mint Zeiss 50mm lens $800, 9 year old refurbed P45 digital back (to new standards by Phase One manufacturing including warranty), and associated tripod and geared head). Hey all proven quality gear here guys available at VERY attractive prices. Total cost probably about the same as a new Canon 5DSr body alone!

There are plenty of great choices out there for people who don't mind working off a tripod.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by 4X5B&W
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Because I don't believe in a new M 240 follow up in this year, we have to adjust.

Personally I think it will be March before anything is goin to happen.

On the orther hand. The M 240, because still being a great camera , who will really mis his follow-up.

The M6 lasted for decades. Will the M 240 still be there in the next decade? 

Another advantage: we don't need a faster computer. :);)

I just heard, that the presentation party of the new M 22/23 November 2016 has been cancelled.

There seems to be some delay. The new M camera is due, but it will be next year hopefully around Februari.

As far as some people " close to the fireplace " say, it will be a smaller camera ( 3,8 mm ). I alway thought it was a road Leica did not want to go, but according to sorces, there is a way and Leica will go that way.

The viewfinder wil still be a " Messsucher" . If there will be a new EVF and in what way is unknown.

One thing is certain: there are more " rumours " coming , or one might say:  Leica is letting the rumours happen.

I mean 3,8mm smaller ( thickness )  than the M 240. :)

If that's the case, the body will have about the size of the M6/MP ( Honestly, I cannot believe it untill I feel it...)

Less 3.8mm could be a reason for a delay perhaps, digital body slimmer than current Ms would be some feat to achieve. 

Less 3.8mm could be a reason for a delay perhaps, digital body slimmer than current Ms would be some feat to achieve. 

I think there was another reason, I doubt that they cancel " the party " a few weeks before the date, because they suddenly had to design  body 3,8mm thinner.

• Like 1

I just heard, that the presentation party of the new M 22/23 November 2016 has been cancelled.

There seems to be some delay. The new M camera is due, but it will be next year hopefully around Februari.

As far as some people " close to the fireplace " say, it will be a smaller camera ( 3,8 mm ). I alway thought it was a road Leica did not want to go, but according to sorces, there is a way and Leica will go that way.

The viewfinder wil still be a " Messsucher" . If there will be a new EVF and in what way is unknown.

One thing is certain: there are more " rumours " coming , or one might say:  Leica is letting the rumours happen.

This is one of the things I'm not happy about with Leica.

At this stage, they could tell us what to expect. 

I do feel that they sometimes fail to treat a very loyal customer base with the respect they deserve. Not that that owe us respect in any deferential sense, simply that it would make for a better, more satisfying commercial relationship.

Edited by Peter H

I think there was another reason, I doubt that they cancel " the party " a few weeks before the date, because they suddenly had to design  body 3,8mm thinner.

That is not what I said, but maybe they have to rethink and design it back to old digital M thickness - all extra 3.8mm. Just to make it clear for you, such major design decisions would not be left to a very last moment.

• Like 1

Where was the "party" announced?  I'm genuinely curious.

I'm not doubting that you've been told what you've been told, Paulus.  It's just that I have been variously assured by many that there would be a new M at Photokina and various other things, none of which have come to fruition.  This is nothing more than prurient interest on my part as I'm genuinely intrigued at what is coming next - it will give us a clear and interesting idea of the direction of the company.

People who should know, and who have direct links to the company, have consistently said no new M this year.  If there was a party announced, those who received the invitations were unusually quiet about it - Steve Huff normally is so delighted to be invited he posts a photo of the invitation and can hardly contain himself.  There's also usually a good number of people here who get invited ...

It's just that I have been variously assured by many that there would be a new M at Photokina and various other things, none of which have come to fruition.

Not by me to be sure. In fact I had said (a couple of times I think) there would be no new M at photokina.

• Like 3

They will tell when they can deliver. Which is the prudent thing to do.

I'm not sure if I have told this story before - excuse me if I have.

I have a relationship with a paragliding manufacturer based in Korea - the owner has a lot in common with Leica.  Small industry, everyone very keen and over-examining every tea leaf and potential development, and making recommendations/wish-lists of what the next big thing will be.  He has in the past been very open about what he is working on and what might come next.  This has had three very direct consequences:

(1)  he builds expectations among his buyers (it's tempting to call them followers, this guy is so good), and if there's a delay they can't handle the disappointment (think Steve Huff after too much sugar).

(2)  he is such a perfectionist he has completely scrapped a tested design when it is ready for production because he has a better idea - months of research and testing down the drain).  He is driving his test pilots crazy at the moment because he has just started again on his flagship consumer glider.

(3)  his frustrated customers then go off and buy a glider from someone else because their dream new glider is taking too long.

Does any of this sound familiar?  I expect the Leica R&D team is permanently designing and making test mules, most of them not getting past the initial review.  When a camera gets the green light, it goes to production, but the R&D team just keep on working to improve the next M - there will always be another M, and Leica will always be working on improving it.

The current M, from whichever year since 1954 has always been a fabulous camera - even the once despised M5 now has a dedicated fanbase.  The next M will come when it comes, and the current M will still be a very good camera.  Telling you what's coming and when simply creates a noose around Leica's neck.  We can see that they have consistently stumbled with product releases since the M8.  It's always worse if they feel pressured into releasing a product before it is genuinely ready.

To be fair, they're getting better.  The SL release has been pretty smooth - exemplary, by Leica standards.  No one knew this was coming until word started to slip out at the last minute ...

PS - Ah, Michael - your slip is showing!  So, a new M this year.  Interesting.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

I have no idea. I did not ask. Where a canelled party should be was at that moment not interesting to me, but if you reason like this, it could be. Also how big it was.

Edited by Paulus

This is one of the things I'm not happy about with Leica.

At this stage, they could tell us what to expect. 

It means affecting the current sales. No company would like to take a hit on current quarter sales due to future product.

• Like 3

I'm not doubting that you've been told what you've been told, Paulus.  It's just that I have been variously assured by many that there would be a new M at Photokina and various other things, none of which have come to fruition.  This is nothing more than prurient interest on my part as I'm genuinely intrigued at what is coming next - it will give us a clear and interesting idea of the direction of the company.

People who should know, and who have direct links to the company, have consistently said no new M this year.  If there was a party announced, those who received the invitations were unusually quiet about it - Steve Huff normally is so delighted to be invited he posts a photo of the invitation and can hardly contain himself.  There's also usually a good number of people here who get invited ...

I don't know if Steve Huff is invited for every party?

• Like 1

I don't know if Steve Huff is invited for every party?

Actually, I think he has only been invited to one (might be wrong).  He got seriously bent out of shape that Leica wouldn't give him a camera to try out and he didn't get invited to at least one of the launches.  Tossed his toys out of the cot.

• Like 1