New Leica M 240 follow-up in 2017 : The speculations.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Regarding the raw converter I am still not convinced it is Leica task to built heir own. But I am of the opinion that they should feel obliged to provide the required camera profiles for Lightroom an capture one to deliver consistent colours across the different cameras they produce!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I agree about the profiles, and if my memory is correct, there were some problems with C1 regarding this very subject, but I could be mistaken. As for the converter, they don't have to build their own, but they have to provide one, imho. And it's not even difficult, they already have the camera jpg engine, which can be the base of a simple software that does exactly what the jpg engine does.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hasselblad is a medium format camera. The problems with high MP sensors handheld have to do with pixel size, not directly with pixel number. A medium format sensor can hold a larger number of pixels as a 24x36 one for a given pixel size.   In general the larger the pixel (thus the lower the MP count) the better the image quality will be. So there is an optimum that balances resolution vs. acuity. At the moment that is someplace between 20 and 30 MP for a 24x36 sensor. Possible it will shift u

First, welcome!    From my own perspective, I'm not sure by any reasonable measure that they are not already there with the 240 and its siblings.  A brief scan of this forum would yield dozens upon dozens of personal wish lists and proposed improvements. And I would never suggest that the current M is perfect as it is, nor would I be unhappy if many of these suggestions were addressed by the upcoming generation. But while it is undeniable that there are many more advanced cameras, devices that

My M9 is 100% no regrets purchase. I will use the camera as much as I can and I've got no plans for selling it or buying another one. And I'm not alone for sure.     Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Because all the manufacturers do and always did since day one. To my knowledge Leica is currently the only brand that does not provide a raw converter with their cameras. It is no big deal, I already have a favorite converter, but it's a matter of principle.

I don't know what the principle is. This isn't the only area in which Leica goes its own way.

And since there's no such thing as a free gift, if they bundled software again we'd be pay for it one way or another. So I'm happy to choose and buy my own. 

Back in the dark ages, you only got your shots converted if you bought Kodachrome or Polaroid film. Whatever camera you used, with every other film type, you were left with a latent image that had to be processed at your own expense.

Now Leica gives you jpgs (equivalent to 6x4 snaps) for free! 

What not to like?

I don't know what the principle is. This isn't the only area in which Leica goes its own way.

And since there's no such thing as a free gift, if they bundled software again we'd be pay for it one way or another. So I'm happy to choose and buy my own.

I somewhat agree. I never liked Lightroom especially the catalog part, and that is why I almost never use it. I wish Leica would have stayed with C1, even a lite version. But I still want Leica to provide a bundled conversion software

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the optical viewfinder, but to be honest it is inherently flawed. Focus conifrmation (better than the calibration currently offered), movable focus point, and parallax errors in framing are really a bit archaic. As I say, I love the optical viewfinder, but in this day and age, uncertainty about what you're framing and whether or not it is in focus is getting a bit old.

One of the things that makes a rangefinder great is (manual) focusing by having overlapping pictures. Lens aperture is irrelevant. Whereas focus peaking relies on contrast and wide open lenses, using a range finder does not. Now even a purely electronic, EVF based, camera could do with an electronic rangefinder setup and color in the parts of the image that are perfectly overlapping. Then it would still be an M.

Because all the manufacturers do and always did since day one. To my knowledge Leica is currently the only brand that does not provide a raw converter with their cameras. It is no big deal, I already have a favorite converter, but it's a matter of principle.

Leica uses an Adobe DNG there is already a free converter "Adobe DNG Converter"

Leica could give you a link to it free with each camera.

Seriously doesn't all digital photography benefit from a little tweaking in Post?

You need some post sofware and their are plenty of choices already out there.

No need for Leica to waste resources on that.....post software is part of the cost of enjoying photography

.....or it should be.

Everything is relative but from perspective of a DSLR or RF camera owner & user software to "develop" RAW files is cheap; Adobe Creative Cloud - includes ACR & full Photoshop I pay £8.80/month (in UK) which is less than a packet of cigarettes.  If you are still smoker reducing one packet a month will do you some good.   I believe it is even cheaper in USA, not sure what it cost in rest of Europe or it might cost in UK post Brexit.

Tried Lightroom which came with M camera but find ACR & PS fast & straightforward.  I do my own file managment

Everything is relative but from perspective of a DSLR or RF camera owner & user software to "develop" RAW files is cheap; Adobe Creative Cloud - includes ACR & full Photoshop I pay £8.80/month (in UK) which is less than a packet of cigarettes.  If you are still smoker reducing one packet a month will do you some good.   I believe it is even cheaper in USA, not sure what it cost in rest of Europe or it might cost in UK post Brexit.

Tried Lightroom which came with M camera but find ACR & PS fast & straightforward.  I do my own file managment

I would agree....I too use ACR & PS but evey year since Lightroom 3 I keep wanting to switch my workflow to use and enjoy using LR

Maybe this year it will take ?   I remain hopeful

One of the things that makes a rangefinder great is (manual) focusing by having overlapping pictures. Lens aperture is irrelevant. Whereas focus peaking relies on contrast and wide open lenses, using a range finder does not. Now even a purely electronic, EVF based, camera could do with an electronic rangefinder setup and color in the parts of the image that are perfectly overlapping. Then it would still be an M.

I'm sure there are plenty of technical solutions, of which an EVF is but one. However, in the SL, it is a very good one.

Back to the new M

New sensitive sensor: 50-120000 asa.

Mechanical Messsucher/Viewfinder as we already know and like.

Body like the M-P .

Developement of an external  electronic viewfinder in Leica style. Very small and very nice.

Available in March 2017

Is that your wish or did you hear this from some new source? The ISO range seems tempting, but not sure how sure it fares beyond 6400!

Read this whole thread and amongst the things that people seem to be thinking is the old "numbers game" as in a 50MP sensor in a new M would bring it up to the standards of a Canon 5DSr for instance,

Has anyone ever looked critical at hand held photos taken on a 5DSr and wondered why for a set f: stop and focal length of the lens used, why there is not normal depth of field?

And additionally why the images are not sharp edge to edge at that combination?

Why do the images have all sorts of artifacts and distortions?

I can say that a 24MP M240 is is an extremely good device for brilliant hand held photographic results……..exactly what a M camera was designed to do over sixty years ago.

If you want to strap a 50MP 5DSr too a massive tripod, with an Arca Swiss head, and all of the other associated hardware restrictions associated with high image quality, then go ahead, but it is NOT a portable hand held image producing photographic instrument.

May as well by a Medium Format camera and just accept that it is the way to go for ultimate high resolution imaging……using the best processor (Capture One BTW).

Chose your device carefully, but a bigger number camera may not get you what you want, it may in fact buy you all sorts of problems that you didn't want  

My personal observation,

YMMV

Edited by 4X5B&W

Read this whole thread and amongst the things that people seem to be thinking is the old "numbers game" as in a 50MP sensor in a new M would bring it up to the standards of a Canon 5DSr for instance,

Has anyone ever looked critical at hand held photos taken on a 5DSr and wondered why for a set f: stop and focal length of the lens used, why there is not normal depth of field?

And additionally why the images are not sharp edge to edge at that combination?

Why do the images have all sorts of artifacts and distortions?

I can say that a 24MP M240 is is an extremely good device for brilliant hand held photographic results……..exactly what a M camera was designed to do over sixty years ago.

If you want to strap a 50MP 5DSr too a massive tripod, with an Arca Swiss head, and all of the other associated hardware restrictions associated with high image quality, then go ahead, but it is NOT a portable hand held image producing photographic instrument.

May as well by a Medium Format camera and just accept that it is the way to go for ultimate high resolution imaging……using the best processor (Capture One BTW).

Chose your device carefully, but a bigger number camera may not get you what you want, it may in fact buy you all sorts of problems that you didn't want

My personal observation,

YMMV

If handheld pictures are sharp in native 24mp then they will be sharp in downsized (50 to 24mp) pic as well. The blur may show up in 50mp size and if it bothers someone then they can use tripod.

What I am saying is that a 50mp (or more) sized camera can be used as 24mp camera and it gives option of higher resolution to careful shooters. Best of both worlds.

The only negatives of a 50mp (or more) camer is slower in camera processing (affecting fps) and extra file size.

As for me I do not want a slower camera. I will buy higher mp camera only if the processor is also improved so that camera speed is same or faster.

To be honest, I don't care about MP. For my usage, anything from 12 MP upwards is fine. But I also wouldn't mind if the sensor was 50 or 80 or 160 MP, I know for a fact it doesn't affect IQ at all, and might even improve IQ after downsizing. Fujichrome Velvia 50 can resolve 160 lpmm. We're still not there yet.

But all (as far as I know) Leica cameras deliver DNG format raw files and DNG is a public standard so it is very easy for any raw software manufacter to support that format and thus supporting all Leica cameras at once. If Leica had used their own proprietary raw format then they would have needed to have their own converter but now it isn't necessary. Personnally I would like to see Leica supply their own camera profiles for the major raw converters. 

Leica uses an Adobe DNG there is already a free converter "Adobe DNG Converter"

That software is for converting properietary raw to DNG and is kind of pointless if you already have DNG files.