New Leica M 240 follow-up in 2017 : The speculations.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Until a replacement for the M(240) is released, perhaps? Leica sold the M-E for quite a while with the M(240). For as long as people need video and tethering and keep buying the M(240), they'll produce it, I'd have thought.

Then again, I sorely doubt the demand will warrant it.

Until a replacement for the M(240) is released, perhaps? Leica sold the M-E for quite a while with the M(240). For as long as people need video and tethering and keep buying the M(240), they'll produce it, I'd have thought.

Then again, I sorely doubt the demand will warrant it.

Just like with the MP: As long as people want it, it will be made, or is this something else?

Just like with the MP: As long as people want it, it will be made, or is this something else?

I don't think so.

In the past, production ramped down as the new M was produced, stock was discounted and the new model replaced the old. Leica is specifically saying that if you want the Swiss Army Knife grip or video, buy the M(240), which suggests they will keep production going.

I have no idea how Leica maintains production lines for 8 different M cameras. I know they do things in batches, but producing MP, M7, M-A, M-D, M(262), Monochrom (246), M(240), M-P and M10, along with a la carte is quite a feat and shows considerable commitment to the M system. I know they do things in batches, but still.

I imagine for so long as they offer the Monochrom(246), M(262) and M-D they will also offer at least one variant of the M(240) as the marginal cost of continuing the M(240) would be minimal for so long as the others are available.

The next question will be how quickly will Leica move the other variants onto the M10 platform, and will they fill the gap left when they eventually discontinue the M(240).

As promised by the same people who told me, that the new M would be a " classic one " ready in November ( until something ruined the introduction party ): the M 240 will continue. But maybe that will be the same as with the M-E concept. A few years Leica will stretch it, but by then it's becoming an " old " type.

• Like 1

As promised by the same people who told me, that the new M would be a " classic one " ready in November ( until something ruined the introduction party ): the M 240 will continue. But maybe that will be the same as with the M-E concept. A few years Leica will stretch it, but by then it's becoming an " old " type.

Wel, if we consider the likely variants of the M10 (I would have thought only a Monochrom - there would be no point in the M(262 variant, and the M-D, I suspect, was a one-off), I doubt the M(240) will survive the release of the M10 Monochrom; less if demand isn't there.

Optimistically, we're at a fork in the road, not a sharp bend and a short, dead end driveway.   Clearly, the introductions over the last couple of years have muted any enthusiastic belief around the imminent introduction a fully digital rendition of the rangefinder. It's certainly possible the progression from 262 through M-D to the M10 indicates that they've decided that the singular path forward for the M is embracing the minimalist ethic, where the primary meme seems to be about reducing any sense of digital-ness in favor of a chemical free, film-like experience. I certainly understand the appeal of such a camera line.  It may also be true that they see the SL and Q as the only way to pursue success in the mainstream digital dog fight. But I believe that the primary advantage of RF is seeing beyond the capture and have long held that all things analog which can be made digital, ultimately will be. So I continue to hold out hope that the 240 will have its successors, ones which are now free to explore a different horizon given the 240 line need no longer wobble along trying to walk a fine line between the past and the future.

Edited by Tailwagger