New Leica M 240 follow-up in 2017 : The speculations.

Paulus

Well Peter K, I apologise...

Nice source... "Verbs of Animal Communication in Contemporary French"... lol! I can't fault you for finding the most obscure possible reference!

However, this is actually an academic study on the above subject, written by an author in their second language. It will not be the first, nor the last academic paper or treatise with consistent and inaccurate spelling of a particular word.

I would find it far more compelling if there was a dictionary that you could point to... but in the absence of such a source, I will continue to believe that the word is spelled in the way shown by all the major dictionaries... and I am sure you will continue to accept the spelling you have used and then found... 

And it was a bit of a giggle on the way... which on a dull Christmas week, is fine....

If a word appears in a book, particularly in the title, then the word is validated. Here's another example: http://www.tipitin.com/shop/b-side-of-onomatopeic-music-by-yuri-suzuki

And another (from an Australian educational site): http://ildm34.global2.vic.edu.au/tag/onomatopeic/

So please would all the clever clogs who said I was wrong retract their statements.

• Like 1

It is time that Leica comes up with something about the new M... The members are getting bored and wearisome... :D:lol:

:D

(and thank you for your knowledge of our language that is sophisticated enough to understand the difference in choosing to use the word 'wearisome' rather than 'tiresome'...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: )

• Like 2

If a word appears in a book, particularly in the title, then the word is validated. Here's another example: http://www.tipitin.com/shop/b-side-of-onomatopeic-music-by-yuri-suzuki

And another (from an Australian educational site): http://ildm34.global2.vic.edu.au/tag/onomatopeic/

So please would all the clever clogs who said I was wrong retract their statements.

I disagree with your first statement... of course.... because something is incorrectly spelled in a book, it doesn't then legitimise that spelling... that is just nonsense...!

With regard to your last statement, have a look at my first reply to your reference... the very first line reads...?  

If a word appears in a book, particularly in the title, then the word is validated. Here's another example: http://www.tipitin.com/shop/b-side-of-onomatopeic-music-by-yuri-suzuki

You can't really be wrong on the question of the correct spelling of English words since English has no spelling authority, only records of common usage. That is one of the great strengths of the language, though I question the claims of authority of any body over any language.

• Like 1

Anyone read "The Surgeon of Crowthorne"?

A delightful beach read about the development of the OED. The underlying concept of the OED was to list the accepted usage of all English language words evidenced by published work (note "accepted usage"). The complete OED lists the authoritative contextual usage. Obviously, spelling mistakes in obscure books don't count, however consistently the word might be miss-spelt.

Anyway, the single biggest individual contributor was an anonymous man called the surgeon of Crowthorne. It turned out he was serving life in prison for murder. Great read. Other obscure facts - the editor of the 1980s revision to the OED, Bob Birchfield, was from New Zealand (he went to school with my father); apparently the simplified spelling preferred by Americans (dropping the u in colour and favour etc) was a conscious decision by the first editors of Webster's dictionary.

• Like 1

Anyone read "The Surgeon of Crowthorne"?

A delightful beach read about the development of the OED. The underlying concept of the OED was to list the accepted usage of all English language words evidenced by published work (note "accepted usage"). The complete OED lists the authoritative contextual usage. Obviously, spelling mistakes in obscure books don't count, however consistently the word might be miss-spelt.

Anyway, the single biggest individual contributor was an anonymous man called the surgeon of Crowthorne. It turned out he was serving life in prison for murder. Great read. Other obscure facts - the editor of the 1980s revision to the OED, Bob Birchfield, was from New Zealand (he went to school with my father); apparently the simplified spelling preferred by Americans (dropping the u in colour and favour etc) was a conscious decision by the first editors of Webster's dictionary.

I haven't read that book, but I was aware of the deliberate simplification of the spelling advocated by Webster.

It's interesting to me, though, that in many respects aside from this specific reform, and counter-intuitively for many people, American English is often more conservative than British English in that it has changed less over the centuries. That means that when Brits and others get snooty about "Americanisms" like vest or sidewalk and so on, they are overlooking the fact that these are usually far closer to their original (or at least older) meanings than the newer words we British prefer nowadays. Britishisms, if you like.

• Like 1