New Leica M 240 follow-up in 2017 : The speculations.

Paulus

For me, a person who has used Leicas and other cameras since 1965, the M9 is more than adequate. If Leica could make another M with a better sensor and no other features I would buy one, perhaps two. OH! And bring back the USB connector!

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Peter,

There are three very related expressions.  You have the Ah!  The Ah Ha!  And, of course the Ha Ha!

They are all expressions of that cognitive leap.  That point at which you understand something without your mind having quite connected all of the dots.  

We have the Ah!  Religious.  The proverbial leap of faith.  Then there is the Ah Ha!.  Eureka.  That point in science when a discovery is made but maybe not quite yet understood at the conscious level.  And then there is the Ha Ha!  Humor.  Much like the previous two, this is the moment you get the joke before the totality of the cleverness has set in. I believe this is the one you struggle with?  :D 

The Ha! is just the short version of the Ha Ha!  The verbal equivalent of the emoji  :D.  Feel free to interchange these wherever I use them.

Rick

Oh, no.  Ha! is not truncated Ha Ha!  It's more "I told you so!" or "So there!"

Why must you people from the other side of the Ocean always try to change the way we use language!

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

Why must you people from the other side of the Ocean always try to change the way we use language!

John,

We use it both ways.  When someone sends a message that is funny we might write Ha!  As in, that was Funny!

We also say Ha! As in, so there.

Wait a minute, I thought I was ignoring you?  Ha!

Rick

You people? Just one I hope...

• Like 1

Onomatopoeic and onomatopeic are alternative and perfectly valid variants to the spelling. Please take the time to look it up.

Wrong again....from US dictionaries.

Two options from Merriam-Webster....onomatopoeic and onomatopoetic.

Bam, Bam!

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Unfortunately Peter, even in British English the correct way to spell onomatopoeia is with an 'o' either side of the 'p', regardless of the derivation.

It even appears to reject your spelling in Google... so I'm not sure how anyone can 'look it up'?

...sometimes Peter, its just best to stop digging...!  :p

Wrong again....from US dictionaries.

Two options from Merriam-Webster....onomatopoeic and onomatopoetic.

Bam, Bam!

Jeff

"Onomatopoetic" is a very rare form, in British English anyway. But correct, certainly.

Does it have a noun form equivalent to onomatopoeia? I imagine not. It is an adjective that varies more from the common root than "onomatopoeic" which probably accounts for its relative rarity along with its extra syllable and greater scope for misinterpretation, given that very few people are consciously aware of the origin of the "poetic/poeic" source.

Neither can be onomatopoeic by any stretch of the imagination, which is a shame.

Well, I'm ten miles from Cambridge, not in the US and, much as I hate to admit it, the Oxford English Dictionary was my first port of call, followed by the Cambridge Dictionary. Even checked Collins... same answer.

All agree with the earlier posters, as do I...

BTW... I can't find any source that would consider the derivation to your spelling of onomatopoeia in any way similar to your example of fetal from foetal...

tic

I would let this go Peter... unless of course you can point to a source to support your argument, in which case we will all apologise profusely and come out of this little exchange with the benefit of more knowledge of our own language and the lesson of not to jump on someone quite so quickly in the future...

Peter: I would agree that both are acceptable spellings... but that wasn't the spelling Peter was taken to task over...!

"Onomatopoeic and onomatopeic are alternative and perfectly valid variants to the spelling. Please take the time to look it up."

Edited by Bill Livingston