New Leica M 240 follow-up in 2017 : The speculations.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oops, I forgot about this for the SL ...  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/264699-new-leica-sl-lenses-roadmap/

Better late than never....and perhaps influenced by Fuji/Hasselblad.

But I agree that Leica would do well to do this for all systems as early on as practical.  The S system is an example, however, where customers would have been disappointed if a roadmap had indicated T/S lenses, tele lenses, etc, that were once anticipated.  And the lenses that did appear were often delayed extensively (and even now are experiencing AF problems).  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I'm just telling you what I have heard from two diffrent sources. What I don't know, I have also told you. I'm just telling you what I have been told. Not more, not less. I don't have to be convincing.

The problems with rumours is, that you cannot verifiy if it's true, untill the real thing is in your hands.

About the party: If this man says, there used to be a party, than I know he is right. He's a man to be taken very serious, as he has proved the last 20 years to me and he will be invited to it for sure.

As I said , the only thing I really do know, is that I hear more rumours, from people who are " near " Leica  than a few weeks ago.

As Donald Rumsfeld said wisely :) some time ago...

"....there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns- the ones we don't know we don't know...."

Edited by jmahto

smilies are not always understood around here it seems !

online forums are not the best in conveying emotions... anyway, I found that quote quite apt to this discussion where we have no clue what is coming but that doesn't stop us from posting. :)

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

I'm not sure profound is right - the idea is certainly true, and important, but the way he strangled the English language to make the point provided way more entertainment than the significance of the ideal.

I don't subscribe to shooting the messenger, nor to I hold to the view that all the words which come out of the mouths of fools are to be discounted.  But, the word salad and the fool of a man who made the statement fitted well together.  The idea of identifying what we don't know, and being prepared for what we can't identify is central to risk management - it is a concept I use all the time.

Rumsfeld's clumsy expression of it is something I use for pure entertainment.

• Like 2

I'm not sure profound is right - the idea is certainly true, and important, but the way he strangled the English language to make the point provided way more entertainment than the significance of the ideal.

I don't subscribe to shooting the messenger, nor to I hold to the view that all the words which come out of the mouths of fools are to be discounted.  But, the word salad and the fool of a man who made the statement fitted well together.  The idea of identifying what we don't know, and being prepared for what we can't identify is central to risk management - it is a concept I use all the time.

Rumsfeld's clumsy expression of it is something I use for pure entertainment.

Yes, it was pure entertainment. It will be amusing if someone takes philosophy lessons from his rambling.

• Like 1

Hi Jayant,

I know many years have passed, but the names Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush & Blair still offend me in the deepest possible way.  For some reason, I feel unable to be sanguine about them - so many lives are in ruins as a result of their unbearable conceit and dishonesty.  Singlehandedly (or should that be quattrohandedly?) they have made the world a more dangerous place.  That they have not been held truly accountable for what they have done brings shame on us all.

Cheers

John

PS - Oh dear, we're a long way off topic.  Mods, feel free to delete this post.  Speculating about what Leica will do to its inevitable next M camera is so much more diverting ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 6

Hi Jayant,

I know many years have passed, but the names Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush & Blair still offend me in the deepest possible way.  For some reason, I feel unable to be sanguine about them - so many lives are in ruins as a result of their unbearable conceit and dishonesty.  Singlehandedly (or should that be quattrohandedly?) they have made the world a more dangerous place.  That they have not been held truly accountable for what they have done brings shame on us all.

Cheers

John

PS - Oh dear, we're a long way off topic.  Mods, feel free to delete this post.  Speculating about what Leica will do to its inevitable next M camera is so much more diverting ...

Weren't they all just continuing the destructive path Henry Kissinger started?

• Like 1

Weren't they all just continuing the destructive path Henry Kissinger started?

If you equate that Gang of Four with Kissinger, where do you stop?  The German justification for invading Poland in 1939?  Various English invasions?  Ghengis Khan?

The point about that rather strange cabal that coalesced around Bush2 is that he was absent at the wheel and it seems to have been confirmed that Blair had committed the UK to support whatever Bush decided to do, regardless of the justification. To say, in the current environment, that was wrong would be a colossal understatement.  That the UK Parliament supinely went along with it was a tragedy.

We all seem to be suffering from a lack of intelligent, courageous and moral leadership.

The trouble was, he left out the most important one, unknown knowns, ie. things that are known or knowable that the deciders don't want anyone else to know about . 

I thought that an unknown known was something that you declare to be a fact but actually haven't a clue about.

Like 90% of the posts on internet forums really.

• Like 2

There are varying views in retrospect. Blair may well have been misled. His, perhaps, misled perception might have influenced Westminster. Other countries were possibly misled into the Iraq invasion as well. It wasn't just the UK.

Bush was the man at the helm ... even if he wasn't there. That is the way justice is served in the Royal Navy in exactly the same way that it is served in the RNZN. If the Skipper is asleep when his or her ship hits a rock then the fault is the Skipper's. The Skipper is in charge of the ship whatever happens. Bush was the Skipper. He is ultimately responsible for forging info on WMD etc.

So, what has this to do with Leica?

If we want to continue this discussion - with the usual restrictions on divisive politics- I will have to split the thread and move the non-Leica part to the Bar. I would prefer the thread to return to the M240 and whatever comes next. Less work for me.

• Like 2

If we want to continue this discussion - with the usual restrictions on divisive politics- I will have to split the thread and move the non-Leica part to the Bar. I would prefer the thread to return to the M240 and whatever comes next. Less work for me.

Quite right - we're on page 10 of a very important discussion about whether or not Leica will release a new M camera in 2017.  As mentioned before, I think Leica will release a new M. At some stage.  And it will take M lenses, so it won't be autofocus, it won't have leaf shutters and it won't be medium format.  I think it will also look like an M camera, and will make modest improvements on the M(240).

It is all, otherwise, unknown!

• Like 1