New Leica SL Lenses & Roadmap!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 90-280 is too short for serious safari use, Wilson. Leica needs to release a 1.4x Apoextender SL, and a 2.0x one as well.

Not really. I just stick one of my kids out front on the Lion bait seat and the animals come close enough to use a wide angle  :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 7

Not me. I rarely use anything for regular use on the SL than the 24-90. The only M lenses I ever use on it are the 50/.95 Noctilux for evening and night, where it works beautifully on the SL and very occasionally, the 18 SEM. If I get the 16-35, I may well sell the 18 SEM. I would not then really use it enough on my M's to warrant the cost. I also have the 90-280 but unless I was away on a safari, I cannot see it being much used. It is too heavy to pack for a trip unless you are fairly sure it is going to be well used. I am not into taking pictures of birds and really am much more of a wide angle than tele user. 

Wilson

Like you the 24-90mm & 90-280mm are my main lenses on my SL. I do enjoy using my Noctilux & 21lux on my SL occasionally as I find both M lenses easier to be used on SL than rangefinder M. I have been toying the 90-280mm lens on fast moving subjects trying to understand the AF tracking capability of the SL and was pleasently surprised on the improvements offered by Leica through FW3.0 after having owned the SL for some 1.5 years.

The soon to be released 16-35 wide SL lens would be what I look forward to own.

• Like 2

But the 16-35 is, undoubtedly for many, a very versatile wide angle focal range. Add the upcoming Sigma Art 14mm f1.8, and astrophotography is covered (at least according to the near coma-free Sigma rumours).

There are different oppinions, depending on what you need: the standard zoom is best at wide angle, so I keep it, togehter with my M-Super Elmar 21mm and buy just the Sigma Art 14mm, which should be fine for many tasks, not only astrophotography.

I see no point to buy the forthcoming 16-35mm, when I just miss 16-18mm. The standard zoom is even faster at comparable focal length, and has IOS, ... so what?

Edited by saxo
  • Like 1

There are different oppinions, depending on what you need: the standard zoom is best at wide angle, so I keep it, togehter with my M-Super Elmar 21mm and buy just the Sigma Art 14mm, which should be fine for many tasks, not only astrophotography.

I see no point to buy the forthcoming 16-35mm, when I just miss 16-18mm. The standard zoom is even faster at comparable focal length, and has IOS, ... so what?

Flexibility.

As a side note: The Sigma 14mm f1.8, with preorders starting on June 22, is rumoured at US$1599.

• Like 1

I see this lens is available in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mount, but not L mount (presumably a volume and licensing issue). Which mount offers most reliable performance?

..... time will tell ...... Novoflex Adapter Canon implementation is variable in performance with the Sigma lenses ...... hardly anyone has the Nikon Adapter and so there is minimal info (me and a couple of others   ... and my Sigma portfolio consists of 1 lens .... and I suspect that will be it). 

The thing that puts me off this and the zoom w/a equivalent is the very protuberant front element and inability to use filters ...... which for serious landscape use makes it a no-go .......  :(

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's a bit silly, really. The two zooms cover 24-280 very nicely in a relatively compact package, and I have the 21 Summilux-M to go a bit wider.

It would be nice to have a wider option - something around 15mm. Sold my Distagon as I got fed up with the red edge. I tend not to use ultra wides for landscapes here. I prefer the M mount Summiluxes as I can use my filters and the image quality is so good. For the landscapes I do, I tend not to get enough foreground interest to warrant using an ultra-wide.

Something to work on, I guess.

• Like 1

I see this lens is available in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mount, but not L mount (presumably a volume and licensing issue). Which mount offers most reliable performance?

I aim for the Nikon mount, time will tell whether the combo works...

• Like 2

I aim for the Nikon mount, time will tell whether the combo works...

Hi Helged,

I noticed you use Nikon mount electronic aperture lenses, assume you utilise AF via Novoflex AF adaptor.

Would you be able to share your experience and list lenses you use and AF performance.

Maybe we need a new thread, Nikon/Third party AF lenses via Novoflex AF adopter, there was EOS lens thread recently.

• Like 1

I bought the Voigtlander 10mm and the Elmarit-M 28mm a few weeks ago.  I will probably also be buying the Voigtlander 15mm and re-buying (sigh) the SEM 21mm.

I find it very frustrating that there still is no date yet for 21mm and 28mm SL primes (assuming that these focal lenghts will become available at some point in the future).

As far as the 16-35mm zoom goes it should have been the 3rd lens... but even then the overlap with the 24-90mm zoom would have been too much for me personally...

After that I am probably done... I quite honestly don't see much SL primes in my future: too expensive, too heavy and way way way too late...

Edited by JorisV

It's not clear to me that AF is needed at the wide angle focal lengths.  Not that I don't bother to focus, e.g. a 21 mm, but because the scenes that a wide angle gives you are usually composed in some depth, and the best point of focus is not an eye or a face, so AF is not a particularly good guide.  Hence the M and some R lenses do just fine on the SL.  

scott

• Like 1

It's not clear to me that AF is needed at the wide angle focal lengths.  Not that I don't bother to focus, e.g. a 21 mm, but because the scenes that a wide angle gives you are usually composed in some depth, and the best point of focus is not an eye or a face, so AF is not a particularly good guide.  Hence the M and some R lenses do just fine on the SL.  

scott

Scott with the WA SL zoom going up to 35mm, AF would be needed. 

Wilson

Scott with the WA SL zoom going up to 35mm, AF would be needed.

Wilson

The 16-35mm is going to be F4. Great for landscape but not shallow DOF subjects.

I once owned the 21sem. Such a wonderful compact lens producing sharp and great color rendering. So I thought it must be even better to have a 21lux which I can do wide but yet shallow DOF shots. Indeed the 21lux is great but I still do miss the pics out of 21sem. So I waiting for the 16-35mm to become available. Hopefully I can find the same feel of 21sem in 26-35mm

• 1 month later...

An internet search for the 16-35 specs were unsuccessful.  After an evening finding a wealth of photos on instagram there was one that could be used for extrapolation.  The image shows the 35, 70, 90, 16-35 and 50mm SL lens lined up on a window frame.  The 16-35 will be 128.43mm length or height and 83.46mm maximum width.  Comparing this to S lenses it almost matches up perfectly to the 30mm.  Without doing any measurements the 70mm S lens looks similar in length to my 30mm as the 35, 70, 90 look to the 16-35, the width will be substantially less.  Leicas website show the 35, 70 and 90 to be different sizes but windowsill image show them to be similar, Leica also did this with the 30 and 35mm S lenses, using similar barrels.   To get an idea of what the 16-35 would be to carry, it would not be much longer than the 70mm S mounted with the S-L adapter.  When doing this I found the combination to be quite easy to handle.  The 70mm is rather lightweight and is a nice combination on the SL, the 16-35mm will be heavier, so I added a weight to the 1/4-20 thread on the adapter bringing the lens up to 3 lbs (1364g).  At 3 lbs it is getting rather heavy for field use.  Looking at specs for the 24-90 it is 2lbs 8 oz or 1140g, the same weight as the 30mm S lens.  I am guessing the 16-35mm will not be 3 lbs, but closer to the 24-90 or 30mm S.  After running through this exercise my 18mm SEM is looking real good on the SL.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLxDivrAFVs/?hl=en&taken-by=steffen.skopp

. Leicas website show the 35, 70 and 90 to be different sizes but windowsill image show them to be similar, Leica also did this with the 30 and 35mm S lenses, using similar barrels. ]

The SL 35/75/90 Summicrons share the same outer lens barrel, as well as various internal components, as Karbe explains...

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/09/setting-a-new-standard-with-leica-sl-lenses-a-discussion-with-peter-karbe-at-photokina-2016/

Jeff

If they had that advanced a prototype of the 16-35 out 10 months ago (Instagram dated Oct 20, 2016), you have to wonder why it is not released yet. If it is just for marketing reasons and not wanting to bring out a lens during summer holiday season in the northern hemisphere, that would be a bit irritating. I am photographing a number of events over the next few weeks, where the 16-35 would have been a very useful addition to the 24-90. 

Wilson

• Like 1

When asked Steffen said: "Back than ( 10weeks ago) I made a test for close distance" .  I wonder too what are the requirements that makes the process take the time it does.  

This reminds me that I need to finish Erwin Puts book Leica Lens Saga, the answer must be in there.  

This reminds me that I need to finish Erwin Puts book Leica Lens Saga, the answer must be in there.

In his latest blog post, he calls the SL lenses disappointing...

http://www.imx.nl/photo/blog/files/fe9e50fb902a8e94f8055c0a0ad49494-79.html

I emailed him for clarification, and he replied...

"Size versus performance and performance versus other lenses.Indeed specifications and lots of Panasonic influence." (E. Puts).

Jeff