New Leica SL Lenses & Roadmap!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It should not boggle your mind given they will produce what they believe will sell. You just stated you don’t intend to buy native lenses and instead will use M lenses.

That will contribute to a slower roll-out of native lenses.

I personally consider the 35mm prime essential for each system. Maybe it's just me. It still boggles my mind. I see the 35/1.4 is on your road map and they will sell a few if that is true. I did say I had no plans but I also said if there was one native lens it would be a 35 lux.

It's an entirely new system. The rollout will of course be slow. Slow especially for Leica who is not Sony. It just seems a 35 prime would have been produced by now.

I personally consider the 35mm prime essential for each system. Maybe it's just me. It still boggles my mind. I see the 35/1.4 is on your road map and they will sell a few if that is true. I did say I had no plans but I also said if there was one native lens it would be a 35 lux.

It's an entirely new system. The rollout will of course be slow. Slow especially for Leica who is not Sony. It just seems a 35 prime would have been produced by now.

I think we see this the same way but with different lenses. I consider a fast 50 the key lens for a system and only have owned two 35s (M Lux, Sony RX1).

At this price point Leica needs SL body owners to buy the native lenses to justify building out the system. They need to listen to current and prospective owners to create the roadmap but that’s difficult because we all have different priorities.

I have purchased all three native zooms and the native 50 Lux. I’m pleased with much of the roadmap. I’d like teleconverters and a macro at this point. Many here are looking for smaller and lighter primes that I don’t think will ever exist outside the M system.

• Like 2

Of course you have valid and great points. Pointing out lenses support the bodies is a good one. The other thing I’m missing may be not all Leica users are M shooters.

I see the SL as an EVF gateway for my wide angle lenses that dont have supported frame lines and fast lenses that can give trouble focusing through the optical VF on the M. I suspect I’m in the minority concerning my soon to be usage with the M.

Edited by 6bit
  • Like 1

Considering the cost it is just as well Leica have released the lenses in instalments as it would be prohibitively expensive to get everything all at once (£30k) ...... and then you would be left with the dilemma of what you can afford and when. 

At least this way with the 'drip feed' you can amass a system over time without causing marital strife or financial embarrassment........  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Over the years I have had 15mm lenses, Zeiss Hologon and Voigtlander Super Heliar. Great fun for the first few days but not long afterwards, they start gathering dust on a shelf. I toyed with the idea of buying a Zeiss ZM Distagon 15mm/2.8 but in the end went for the 18mm SEM. Even that I have not used a whole lot and when I am packing for a trip and all the lenses, bodies and other bits have to go in hand luggage to be lifted into overhead bins on aircraft, more and more the 18mm gets left out. I actually think all of the foregoing lenses are better on film than they are on digital, where you really have to set up DNG correction masks for them to reduce vignetting (extreme on the Hologon) and Italian Flag. 

I did buy the 11-23 for my CL and a very good lens it is too. However, the only time I really use it is on a trip to older cities where its 17-35mm EFOV works beautifully. I do have the 18mm SEM on my M7 at the moment but that is because I recently acquired an 18mm Leica VF. I did have a Zeiss 18mm finder but sold that to a friend for his 18mm ZM Distagon (which he uses on a ZM Ikon) for the same price as I paid for the nominally S/H Leica finder, which was boxed and actually seems new to me. I actually think the Zeiss finder is marginally brighter than the Leica with a finer bright line frame. 

Wilson

• Like 1

SEM 18 better for film? Weird, it was developed in digital era, just a few months before the M9 launch...  :unsure:

I meant just the CV 15/4,5 and the Hologon both 15 and 16mm/f8. The 18 SEM being a retrofocal and post digital design (as you say), does not have the same steep angles from its exit pupil to the imaging medium of the other two, thereby avoiding most of the Italian flag generation in the microlenses of a digital sensor. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I find myself pining for a fast 21mm lens in the last couple of months. At least an f2.0. That would be large but it's useful for some types of events and commercial work where I need to handhold in tight places.

Edited by lx1713

I find myself pining for a fast 21mm lens in the last couple of months. At least an f2.0. That would be large but it's useful for some types of events and commercial work where I need to handhold in tight places.

If you can live with manual focus we already have Summilux 21mm M lens to choose from, works well on SL.

• Like 1

After reading the entire post and trying to re think purchasing another Leica particularly the SL I'm cold again. I was hoping the last firmware release would have address some of my concerns. And I now thanks to hearing all of your views have formed my own opinion as to the SL fitting into my regiment and work flow mandates the need for two bodies and several lenses of any system I use.

The off on fix for the J stick lock shows the problem erratic behavior still exists and has not/or is not able to be fixed. this is a poor showing of firmware fixes for a long awaited release.

It should have contained at least 25 line items to address many of the major complaints plaguing the SL body. WHY cant LEICA show some love? Fix the buffering so it can shoot 10FPS for appx 30 frames but after a few sec it slows down to 2FPS, slow start up, poor images at high ISO, poor AF tracking.

The SL is a great idea but the big size, big weight, big lenses, big price and the non compatibility UHS 2 with both card slots having the same speed make it a non starter for most. If and When a SL 2 is released with all the limitations lifted and the same EX. EVF the great white horse will ride again....until then LEICA = live with what we give you and don't ask for more.

After reading the entire post and trying to re think purchasing another Leica particularly the SL I'm cold again. I was hoping the last firmware release would have address some of my concerns. And I now thanks to hearing all of your views have formed my own opinion as to the SL fitting into my regiment and work flow mandates the need for two bodies and several lenses of any system I use.

The off on fix for the J stick lock shows the problem erratic behavior still exists and has not/or is not able to be fixed. this is a poor showing of firmware fixes for a long awaited release.

It should have contained at least 25 line items to address many of the major complaints plaguing the SL body. WHY cant LEICA show some love? Fix the buffering so it can shoot 10FPS for appx 30 frames but after a few sec it slows down to 2FPS, slow start up, poor images at high ISO, poor AF tracking.

The SL is a great idea but the big size, big weight, big lenses, big price and the non compatibility UHS 2 with both card slots having the same speed make it a non starter for most. If and When a SL 2 is released with all the limitations lifted and the same EX. EVF the great white horse will ride again....until then LEICA = live with what we give you and don't ask for more.

..... err ..... have you actually used the camera ? 

I do not recognise the '25 line items to address the major complaints plaguing the SL body' ....... nor any of the things you state .... apart from poor AF tracking, but that is a result of contrast detection AF which afflicts all cameras using it...... and I've no idea what your beef is about the SD card slots. Both are plenty fast enough. 

If there are specific technical requirements related to your particular needs that the SL lacks then fair enough, forget it, but looking at specifications on paper and looking selectively for grumbles on the web is no way to choose a camera .....

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Totally disagree with you here. I am happily using the Leica SL for 2.5 years now, I have two of them and use them day-in, day-out for all my work. So, while I agree with you that I am not speaking for "most", the SL has definitely been a "yes starter" at least for me, as well as a "yes keeper": in fact, since I am using digital, the Leica SL is the camera I have been using for the longest stretch of time without upgrading / side grading / or changing it for anything else. I even got a S007 a few months after getting the SL, and sold it to get a second SL body. Go figure  :)

Here you'll find my reasoning in equipment choice, and my reasons to get the SL over anything else on the market today:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2018/04/choosing-the-best-camera-system-for-landscape-photography.html

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri

• Like 4

I rather agree with you, Vieri.  I used to upgrade my digital bodies every 6m-1y, but have stuck with the SL because it is good enough (or, rather, others are not sufficiently better -- my A7RII stays at home).  I have added SL lenses which have each been rather pleasing. Also, my days of adapting my Leica (M) lenses to Sony are over.  Perhaps it is because the EVF is more of a benefit than OIS.  But, actually, the SL lenses seem to require much less post-processing fiddling that even the M lenses (which are prone to aberration, even if they have rendering to die for).   

With the 3 zooms, the SL provided an alternative to using M primes.

Now that the SL primes are becoming available, do those buying primes find they’re just replicating what they have in M mount? I realise that I have 3 M mount 50s, the 50 Summilux-SL and the 35 Summilux-TL, and worse, the 16-35 SL and 11-23 TL zooms. Don’t get me wrong, I like these lenses, but I wonder why I’m just duplicating across systems, rather than selectng different focal lengths.

The SL primes don’t actually give me the option yet, but a nice wide, the 35mm and a nice medium telephoto (180?), would be additions I don’t have in the other systems.

With the 3 zooms, the SL provided an alternative to using M primes.

Now that the SL primes are becoming available, do those buying primes find they’re just replicating what they have in M mount? I realise that I have 3 M mount 50s, the 50 Summilux-SL and the 35 Summilux-TL, and worse, the 16-35 SL and 11-23 TL zooms. Don’t get me wrong, I like these lenses, but I wonder why I’m just duplicating across systems, rather than selectng different focal lengths.

The SL primes don’t actually give me the option yet, but a nice wide, the 35mm and a nice medium telephoto (180?), would be additions I don’t have in the other systems.

Well yes, I recently moved over to the SL from the M10 due to my deteriorating eyesight, and I was planning on replacing my M lenses with SL primes as they were released.

The first SL lens I bought was the 75-SL which was fantastic optically, but coming from the M system, I wasn't quite happy with the size and weight.

Late last month, I went on vacation with my family and decided to take my X-Pro2 with a small zoom and a couple of primes.

The experience of shooting with a smaller system was liberating, bringing back the enjoyment I had shooting with the M.

So I decided to reshuffle my SL kit.

Sold - WATE, 35 FLE, 50/0.95 Noctilux, 75/2-SL

Kept - 90/2.8 Elmarit

Bought - 24-90-SL, CV 21/1.8, CV 40/1.2

I came out with $15,000 of freed up cash and I really have no intention of adding more lenses for the foreseeable future.

I bought the zoom for the occasional event photography, but for every other situation I'm going with small/light (<400 grams) MF primes.

The CV 40/1.2 Nokton is fantastic by the way. With a MFD of 50cm, it's a great walk-around lens, replacing both my 35 FLE and 50 Noctilux.

• Like 1