New Leica SL Lenses & Roadmap!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi “mediafotografie”!

They are very nice images from SL Apo 90 f2.

Please post some portrait from this len if possible, eps. at f2.

Many thanks!

Hi pongph,

thank you - I haven't ask for permission to show them here, so you get some with PM!

I don't like many of the modern Leica lenses (50 Summilux ASPH or 50 APO Summicron onwards) for portraits. They are just too sharp and harsh.

that's true notably with the two new Apo-Summcrons-SL, sharpness is unearthy. But I think it's easier to unsharpen these pictures than to sharpen softer pictures.

;)

Edited by mediafotografie
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I think there's a valid argument for the 16-35 in a combo with the 50 (16-35, 50, 90-280) personally I agree with you. I now have the 12-24 Art and it's very good on the SL. Probably not quite as good as the Canon 11-24 but my real estate clients aren't complaining.

I'm looking for a 12-24mm lens. This fits better to my other two SL-zooms (24-90 and 90-280).

I'm happy with the 14mm Art lens from Sigma. So I'm thinking about the nearly distortion free 12-24mm Art lens. Can you recommend it? Are there any serious color shifts in the edges?

Thanks for your advice!

Martin

Edited by saxo
  • Like 1

I'm looking for a 12-24mm lens. This fits better to my other two SL-zooms (24-90 and 90-280).

I'm happy with the 14mm Art lens from Sigma. So I'm thinking about the nearly distortion free 12-24mm Art lens. Can you recommend it? Are there any serious color shifts in the edges?

Thanks for your advice!

Martin

Optic are excellent. No colour shifts. Vignetting not significant.

However, I was having issues with my lens locking down aperture on the SL. And sometimes it would lock at f22 and I couldn't open it up. I was about to get rid of it or try another adaptor.

Since fw3.1 I have not had a single issue. I don't want to say it's fixed yet as I have to do more testing but *maybe* I recommend this lens. Others have not had my issues which is why I thought it might be the adaptor. 

Gordon

A better zoom trio for my use would have been something like 21-35, 35-90 and 90-180.... each lighter and more compact. And on the ‘more elegantly’ designed SL 2 that Dr. Kaufmann discussed with LuLa. I would be an immediate customer and stop thinking about the X1D or its successor.

Jeff

Works perfectly with both Marumi +3 and +5 macro lenses. You will need a 77-82mm step ring. Image quality is faultless, plus you retain OIS and there is no aperture penalty. 

I posted quite a few examples a good while back in the SL images thread ....... not that long after the camera was released.

To be honest the quality and convenience is so good I really don't see the point of a dedicated macro lens ...... particularly as a Marumi going to cost you <100 euros instead of >4000 ..... :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper

Works perfectly with both Marumi +3 and +5 macro lenses. You will need a 77-82mm step ring. Image quality is faultless, plus you retain OIS and there is no aperture penalty. 

I posted quite a few examples a good while back in the SL images thread ....... not that long after the camera was released.

To be honest the quality and convenience is so good I really don't see the point of a dedicated macro lens ...... particularly as a Marumi going to cost you <100 euros instead of >4000 ..... :rolleyes:

Agreed … the 'must buy a macro lens' brigade should consider buying good quality supplementary achromatic close up lenses before spending big ££ on dedicated macro lenses. Unlikely that many would notice any significant difference in the results. Too much emphasis is placed on 'macro lenses' and we've been brainwashed / conditioned into thinking they are 'must have' optics.  In fact the lads and lassies on the Photomacrography Forum  tend to use non-macro lenses (e.g. Nikon 'infinity' microscope lenses) for most of their macro imaging … with the exception of the Canon MP-E 65mm which is one of the very few dedicated high magnification (1x to 5x mag) true macro optics. 

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=a4eca4ff16d6cd540fdab9becbda041d   … and some of their images have been achieved partly with the assistance of simple Raynox 150 and 250 supplementary c/u lenses (3 element achromats) 

Also, it's interesting to note that very few true macro enthusiasts use e.g. Leica/Leitz Photar lenses and Zeiss Luminars nowadays … because Nikon infinity microscope lenses have proved to be very much better when used with tube lenses for photomacrography. Hence the once 'de rigueur' Leitz /Leica Photars remain unsold on dealers' shelves for months. 

And with mirrorless cameras, AF macro lenses are not a necessity … for those who insist on using marque macro lenses, a good s/h manual focus macro lens costing £50 to £300  plus the cost of a simple adapter will give just as good results as a modern AF macro lens costing considerably more.  This argument applies particularly to legacy manual focus 200mm macro lenses offering 1:1 imaging. Close-up photography is more about technique and subject illumination than shoving the latest AF macro lens onto a camera. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Has anybody tried the SL 90 with a close-up lens for macro ?

Good or bad experiences ?

Caissa asked about APO Summicron L - 90mm with E67 filter thread, i think you are referring to 24-90mm zoom lens with E82 filter thread.

Hi,

thanks for your reply, thighslapper, but I am looking for experiences with the NEW 90mm lens (SL 90).

I know how it is with the 90-280 - the results are not great (only usable around the short end). And the 24-90 is not my lens.

I have already many 90mm lenses.

The question is how much is the new 90mm offering at this tremendous price.

If I could use it for macro with decent results, then I could probably better accept the price (almost 5000$ for a simple 90mm).

As this lens has 67mm filter thread this is certainly not what you have tested some months/years ago.  :)

Maybe sooner or later somebody with the new lens can test it ?

Generally I would prefer a real macro lens (especially at that price).

With a close-up lens the quality is usually acceptable in the center (my experience with the Canon 500D close-up lens), but rather poor towards the edges of the image. Until now I have not really seen any counter-examples (with high quaiity across the whole field).

So yes, I know it is "usable", but I fear that it is not on Leica level.

So I would rather use a manual "macro" than this AF lens with disappointing results.

This is all speculation - but maybe somebody has the same question and a means to test it with the SL 90 (or SL 75) lens.

sorry .... didn't read closely enough.

I've just tried with the 75/2 and I would have thought the 90/2 would be similar. 

A +5 marumi gives you a working distance of 10-15cm from the lens. DOF is zilch, even at f18. Image quality seems fine with my limited tests today ..... these are 'forget-me-nots' with a total width of about 1cm @ f18

(approx 2500x2500 px crop). The 24-90 works well as a macro zoom and is very flexible ..... I would have thought the 75/2 or 90/2 would be pretty limited in functionality in comparison, even if the image quality is acceptable. Long zooms never work well with most macro lens add ons, the 90-280 is just about ok up to 110mm and beyond that gets very soft ..... although some report the Raynox lenses perform better at longer focal lengths than Marumis. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 7

New lenses to come in 2017

Leica APO-Summicron-SL 75mm f/2 ASPH. (Summer 2017)
Leica APO-Summicron-SL 90mm f/2 ASPH. (Fall 2017)
Leica Summicron-SL 35mm f/2 ASPH. (Spring 2018)
Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH (Winter 2017)

attachicon.gifObjektivroadmap_Leica_SL.JPG

I think, It is time now to open a special sub-stream for SL-lenses like M-lenses

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, a new lens roadmap is expected at/around June 14:

https://leicarumors.com/2018/05/28/new-leica-mirrorless-camera-to-be-announced-in-june-leica-c-m.aspx/

I would love to see a long(er) lens, say 400mm or 500mm f4, or at least extenders to the 90-280.

Edited by helged
  • Like 1