New Leica SL Lenses & Roadmap!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the 3 zooms, the SL provided an alternative to using M primes.

Now that the SL primes are becoming available, do those buying primes find they’re just replicating what they have in M mount? I realise that I have 3 M mount 50s, the 50 Summilux-SL and the 35 Summilux-TL, and worse, the 16-35 SL and 11-23 TL zooms. Don’t get me wrong, I like these lenses, but I wonder why I’m just duplicating across systems, rather than selectng different focal lengths.

The SL primes don’t actually give me the option yet, but a nice wide, the 35mm and a nice medium telephoto (180?), would be additions I don’t have in the other systems.

The SL primes do not replace the M primes for me as I'm keeping both SL & M systems. Although I would like to acquire the SL35 when it comes, no desire to replace my M35FLE as it has a place in my M10.

My M50Noc and M21Lux will still be employed occationally on my SL as these are not lenses I use them frequently.

I have bought but sold very few Leica lenses, especially the M lenses as I see their use and value. On the other hand, I do not keep the Leica digital camera bodies long as these are often superseded by newer technology and conveniences.

• Like 1

Now that the SL primes are becoming available, do those buying primes find they’re just replicating what they have in M mount?

Not really. I swapped a 90AA towards a 90SL, and it's a world of difference in terms of resolution  - and I had long considered the 90AA to be the gold standard in that respect. I don't miss not being able to use it on my M bodies, as the focal length was becoming a pain in the ass to focus on an M, even with a viewfinder magnifier. I use a 90 primarily for portraits, and the 90SL (especially with the SL's face/eye detection AF) makes those shots a breeze. You can concentrate on framing, facial expressions, etc., instead of fretting about having the eyes in focus.

• Like 2

It's the 35 Summicron, and is only listed for the second half of this year. I've been told this month, but we'll see.

I missed that detail regarding F2 somehow. I’m guessing summilux lenses are probably out for the SL long term?

I use my 21/3.4 and 50/0.95 on my SL. Adding the 35 with AF would be nice. Just waiting to see if I can deal with the size.

Not really. I swapped a 90AA towards a 90SL, and it's a world of difference in terms of resolution  - and I had long considered the 90AA to be the gold standard in that respect. I don't miss not being able to use it on my M bodies, as the focal length was becoming a pain in the ass to focus on an M, even with a viewfinder magnifier. I use a 90 primarily for portraits, and the 90SL (especially with the SL's face/eye detection AF) makes those shots a breeze. You can concentrate on framing, facial expressions, etc., instead of fretting about having the eyes in focus.

absolutely agree!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I rather agree with you, Vieri.  I used to upgrade my digital bodies every 6m-1y, but have stuck with the SL because it is good enough (or, rather, others are not sufficiently better -- my A7RII stays at home).  I have added SL lenses which have each been rather pleasing. Also, my days of adapting my Leica (M) lenses to Sony are over.  Perhaps it is because the EVF is more of a benefit than OIS.  But, actually, the SL lenses seem to require much less post-processing fiddling that even the M lenses (which are prone to aberration, even if they have rendering to die for).   

Indeed, now that digital technology is more mature, if you use non-Leica equipment there is no need to upgrade bodies every generation - unless the new one offers something that you really, really need. What Leica does, is spreading their major upgrades of professional cameras / and thus generations / over a longer timespan (I am not considering the M-P versions, the M special versions and so on). Leica's roughly 4 year upgrade cycle start making much, much more sense than every other manufacturer outputting a new body every 6 months / 1 year / even 2 years' updates of camera bodies now feels somehow just small, evolutionary updates rather than serious leaps in tech.

Best regards,

Vieri

Edited by Vieri
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It seems Leica as yet again updated the timeline for the SL lenses on their website. The new 35 mm and 50 mm Summicrons are now scheduled for a 2019 release ("First half of 2019"). This is really disappointing as I think the speed of lens releases is really rather slow. Is there any reasoning for it?

• Like 1

It seems Leica as yet again updated the timeline for the SL lenses on their website. The new 35 mm and 50 mm Summicrons are now scheduled for a 2019 release ("First half of 2019"). This is really disappointing as I think the speed of lens releases is really rather slow. Is there any reasoning for it?

Perhaps the usual 'Limited Edition' cameras to be announced at Photokina have priority?

dunk 

• Like 1

That makes me feel better that I just got the 50SL Lux recently.  I still hope they would announce a SL 35 Lux in the future as well.

oh man I've been softening up the missus for the 35mm as an xmas present all year dammit

Perhaps the usual 'Limited Edition' cameras to be announced at Photokina have priority?

That's unlikely since most limited editions just use different finishes.

Perhaps the 75 and 90 have been more popular than expected, and they've been too busy making those to get enough 50s and 35s ready for launch?

• 2 weeks later...

Could you elaborate a little more on the differences between the two lenses/two cameras? I don't plan to ditch my Ms, but I am considering buying into the SL system. The first lens on my radar is the 90mm and I've been interested in the differences, if any, between the 90AA and the 90SL. 

Could you elaborate a little more on the differences between the two lenses/two cameras? I don't plan to ditch my Ms, but I am considering buying into the SL system. The first lens on my radar is the 90mm and I've been interested in the differences, if any, between the 90AA and the 90SL.

Just much better resolution, in terms of resolving fine details and skin tones (and variability in skin tones). It's a bit like what happened a few years ago when all the US TV stations switched to HD cameras, and all the news presenters had to trowel on the makeup to avoid looking seedy. The 90AA is unforgiving of lines, blemishes, etc. in your subject's face, the 90SL even more so. The 90SL also controls flare really well - if you take a look at my snap of Milos (post #61 at https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/287664-sl-50-lux-75-cron-or-twiddle-thumbs-for-sl-50-cron/page-4), he's in shade while the background is sunlit; the light pouring in on the left side of his face doesn't cause any problems. The 90AA is no slouch in this regard, either.

The 90AA produces excellent results on the SL, but I was drawn to the autofocus of the 90SL, as it is much easier to keep the subject's eyes in focus, especially with the lens wide open. I'm not ditching any of my M cameras, I just don't shoot as many portraits with them now (though I still have a 90 Elmar-C for travel, etc.).

• Like 1

Just much better resolution, in terms of resolving fine details and skin tones (and variability in skin tones). It's a bit like what happened a few years ago when all the US TV stations switched to HD cameras, and all the news presenters had to trowel on the makeup to avoid looking seedy. The 90AA is unforgiving of lines, blemishes, etc. in your subject's face, the 90SL even more so. The 90SL also controls flare really well - if you take a look at my snap of Milos (post #61 at https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/287664-sl-50-lux-75-cron-or-twiddle-thumbs-for-sl-50-cron/page-4), he's in shade while the background is sunlit; the light pouring in on the left side of his face doesn't cause any problems. The 90AA is no slouch in this regard, either.

The 90AA produces excellent results on the SL, but I was drawn to the autofocus of the 90SL, as it is much easier to keep the subject's eyes in focus, especially with the lens wide open. I'm not ditching any of my M cameras, I just don't shoot as many portraits with them now (though I still have a 90 Elmar-C for travel, etc.).

I appreciate the information. I think I'll probably wait out for the SL2 and then buy the 90SL as a first or second lens. Thanks. 

Just much better resolution, in terms of resolving fine details and skin tones (and variability in skin tones).

+1. Bang on explanation, in my view ....indeed I agree it’s a mix of both resolution, acuity, and tonality. For large prints, which I do, it makes a noticeable difference. I’ve recently put my M gear (including M240, 50 APO) up for sale as a result, given image quality off the M is eclipsed now by the SL Summicrons in particular, IMHO. Those SL Summicron lenses are superb within the overall SL chain. I’ve tried the M10 + 50 APO, and used for years the M240 + 50 APO. The SL Summicrons were visibly better, in my personal opinion. The M series is really cute in its smallness and tactile manual concept .....but it’s design of smallness also produces compromises, in my view, and a true ground-up digital platform with larger-sized glass does have its benefits in my view in terms of image quality. The other calalyst for me moving all into the SL is the “alliance”, and the different palates of sensor that we hopefully will be able to choose from .......

• Like 2

+1. Bang on explanation, in my view ....indeed I agree it’s a mix of both resolution, acuity, and tonality. For large prints, which I do, it makes a noticeable difference. I’ve recently put my M gear (including M240, 50 APO) up for sale as a result, given image quality off the M is eclipsed now by the SL Summicrons in particular, IMHO. Those SL Summicron lenses are superb within the overall SL chain. I’ve tried the M10 + 50 APO, and used for years the M240 + 50 APO. The SL Summicrons were visibly better, in my personal opinion. The M series is really cute in its smallness and tactile manual concept .....but it’s design of smallness also produces compromises, in my view, and a true ground-up digital platform with larger-sized glass does have its benefits in my view in terms of image quality. The other calalyst for me moving all into the SL is the “alliance”, and the different palates of sensor that we hopefully will be able to choose from .......

Yikes. Now you've got me second guessing my Ms.