New Leica SL Lenses & Roadmap!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Read the interview.

The normal parabolic nature of DOF range has been compressed ...... so the contrast/perceived sharpness drop off before and after the true focus point is steeper.

Hence the DOF profile at f2 looks the same as f1.4 ...... and the 3d modelling of the subject is enhanced...... 

I did read the interview. :huh:

I have a fair understanding of optics and what was said in the interview doesn't seem to be describing anything new. I'd like to know if that is the case.  

Is it just marketing speak to get people excited about nothing new? Or is it something new under the sun?

A set of spot diagrams as the image plane passes though best focus would be instructive. Like this: http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/telescopes/aberration_color.html With that we could judge for ourselves.

Wondering about this probably won't help my photography much, but I find it an interesting intellectual exercise nonetheless.

dgktkr

dgktkr

I look forward to the release of the 16mm-35mm Vario Elmar SL. Good new to see that it is highly likely to use the 82mm filter mount, same as the 24mm - 90mm Vario Elmarit SL. This way I can share my set of filters easily for landscape shots.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not count on the 4 mentioned lenses before spring 2018 earliest.

50 summilux was mentioned at the release of the SL camera system and still not around.

They hardly got the 90-280mm out, which, even on the chart above is listed as available since mid 2015.

You are probably new, otherwise you would know that the 90-280 was available since end of March/beginning of April. And even mere mortals like me got the lens by mid-year. (6 months after ordering)  And the lens was announced for mid-year - so it came  3 months earlier than announced.

Why tell this nonsense about delays, it is not even funny. Simply wait and see.

Edited by steppenw0lf

look at the post opening, the 90-280 shows in 2015. Looks like you ordered the lens in 2015 then. and you got it 6 months later - and were even one of the lucky ones.

I would not call this 'available in 2015'. Being able to place an order is not equal being available.But your view offer the world shall differ, you are probably happier in this believe :)

The 90-280 becames generaly available about 1 month ago. Shipping out a few sample to some high potential customer does not mean general available.

look at the post opening, the 90-280 shows in 2015. Looks like you ordered the lens in 2015 then. and you got it 6 months later - and were even one of the lucky ones.

I would not call this 'available in 2015'. Being able to place an order is not equal being available.But your view offer the world shall differ, you are probably happier in this believe :)

The 90-280 becames generaly available about 1 month ago. Shipping out a few sample to some high potential customer does not mean general available.

Where does "available in 2015" for the 90-280 come from? The red bar for that lens in the bar chart in post #1 clearly starts within the first quarter of 2016.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

rubbish.

The camera was only available from November 2015 and the 90-280 was always advertised as available in early 2016. 

I had my 90-280 on the 2nd April........ exactly the time I expected. 

Leica have become quite conservative in their release dates in recent years, and although production numbers are small the first invariably appear on time or earlier than indicated. 

Apart from the 50/2 apo ..... which was recalled and delayed 6 months due to performance issues and modifications I have sourced EVERY Leica product I wanted either at release or shortly after. You just have to be astute as to where you place an order and be prepared to ring around to find what you want. 

• Like 1

In the roadmap not the icon, but the red line is indicating the availability.

The 90-280 was planned for midyear, and came end of March 2016 (3 months earlier)

The 50 was first announced for end of 2016, but has been changed lately to beginning of 2017, and this is what the map currently shows.

But the red lines for the new lenses have a soft/unsharp beginning - this is maybe undesirable ... it leaves room for speculation.

Anyway, if we get our toys a bit earlier or later, what does it matter ?  (Probably most of us have already a lot of other gear we can use in the meantime.)

Edited by steppenw0lf

• 2 weeks later...

Are the SL 75f2 asph. and SL 90f2 asph. lenses AF versions of the M models or new designs?

They have to be new designs because the sensor-lens distance is different and the small and light AF element lenses. 

Edited by thighslapper

Are the SL 75f2 asph. and SL 90f2 asph. lenses AF versions of the M models or new designs?

These are completely new designs. According to Leica, these new Summicrons will outperform already incredible lenses like the 75 APO and 90 APO for the M. 

• 1 month later...

To sharp for my taste.

I prefer lenses like the Summiluxes M-75 and R-80 for portrait.

LOL! Something has to be complained about, eh? If the lenses aren't the sharpest, most incredible imagers around, everyone complains. If it looks like they might be, someone else complains.

I happen to like the look of some older lenses too; I'm just kind of astonished that people like to complain so much.

• Like 7

LOL! Something has to be complained about, eh? If the lenses aren't the sharpest, most incredible imagers around, everyone complains. If it looks like they might be, someone else complains.

I happen to like the look of some older lenses too; I'm just kind of astonished that people like to complain so much.

You are totally right. Some even like to complain about what they are the only ones to see as a complain.

[emoji6]

• Like 1

And no one has ever seen the summicron-SL 75 yet but some will have an issue it is already too sharp LOL

• 3 weeks later...

We have to wait for the 35mm til' 2018?

That's stupid...

On whose part is it "stupid"? Us as future users, we're stupid to wait? or is it Leica being stupid by not checking with users when we'd like to have the lens? or something else?