Similar M9 picture quality with Leica compact?

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a Fuji X100s when they came out and sold it 12m later as I hardly used it, and always took my M9 with me. It fitted in my pocket, but add keys, wallet mobile etc, might as well have a small ban n pop the M in!

It's really true that none of these are really "pocketable" like say a Contax T would be.  That said, I did find when I had the Fuji, I was more willing to pack it in my bicycle seat bag than I am with my M.

• Like 1

It's really true that none of these are really "pocketable" like say a Contax T would be.  That said, I did find when I had the Fuji, I was more willing to pack it in my bicycle seat bag than I am with my M.

As lovely as the X100 and (especially) the Q are, you're right they are not pocketable. However, the GR really is tiny, and astonishingly sharp for such a tiny thing.

• 11 months later...

I own M-E for enough time to reply with confidence here. To me "M9 quality" is how CCD sensor is rendering in color and BW with Leica lens. I can't see it in FUJI. It is different. IMO. The M9 quality which is in CCD rendering and Leica lens is visible in Panasonic Lumix P&S cameras with x3 zoom Leica lenses were f2.8 at the wide side. I know where are Leica labeled cameras like these as well. They were made around 2008-2011. CCD sensors in them. 

Oldish thread reappearing after hibernation... :p  Since I last opened my beak here (post # 3), my Leica X1 has retired, as has my Ricoh GR.  Instead, I managed to buy a mint X2 with full 2 year guarantee a couple of months ago, and this one has immediately advanced to the rank of preferred camera for me.  Colours are great, as is the general "drawing" of the pics. High ISO quality is markedly better than the M9, so much that it more than makes up for the slower lens (2.8 instead of the 2.0 for my Summicron 35 ASPH).  AF is every bit as fast as my own RF focussing ability nowadays.  Without intense pixel peeping, the results is on a par with the M9; it takes a peep in the EXIF info for me to see what was shot with which camera.