Focus lock problem with flash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, does anyone have an explanation, or better yet, a solution, for this:

I a seeing some strange focus behavior with the Q in combination with a flash unit (Nikon SB-800). In short, with the flash switched on and using auto focus, the focus will not lock when keeping the shutter release half way pressed.

To be more precise:

1. Switch on the flash
  2. Auto focus on a subject and keep shutter release half pressed
  3. Change composition while keeping the shutter release halfway pressed
  4. Press shutter release all the way
  5. Unexpected: The Q now refocuses before taking the shot !
  6. Leave the flash on the Q but switch it off
  7. Repeat step 2 through 4
  8. Now it works as expected; no refocussing. Focus is still on the target set in step 2.

The flash is in Manual. So is the Q exposure. Q is in AFs setting. Flash settings: "Flash mode: On", "Flash exp. comp: 0", "Flash sync: Start of exp", though I have tried changing these and some settings on the flash, but to no avail...

Anyone?

Edited by Bart van Hofwegen

Bart,

I just attempted to operate my Canon 600 EX-RT in the manner you describe. I do not see the refocus operation like you do. It operates as I would expect and does not change the focus point. I've also used a Canon MR-14 EX Ring flash extensively on the Q and have never experienced your issue. Always the flash is in manual mode. Perhaps it's associated with the Nikon system. Don't know. Good luck.

• Like 1

One additional input. I've learned that the Canon flash does not perfectly fit the Q hotshoe. I have to ensure it's pushed forward as much as I can and I check that regularly. I cannot lock the flash in place because the mechanical lock does not quite fit the Q.

• Like 1

One additional input. I've learned that the Canon flash does not perfectly fit the Q hotshoe. I have to ensure it's pushed forward as much as I can and I check that regularly. I cannot lock the flash in place because the mechanical lock does not quite fit the Q.

Thanks! The Nikon seems to fit fine and locks fine too. Thanks for trying, at least I now know that not every flash induces this behavior. I will try to alter a couple of other settings on the flash, but I find it strange that the flash should interfere with the focus lock... Exposure, maybe, but focus? Unfortunately, I have no other flash available right now to try.

EDIT: I now have tried taking the flash off and putting it on, firmly, several times, no change. All flash modes that work with the Q (A/GN/M) have this behavior. Setting the flash to TTL however does not fire the flash, but the focus lock again behaves as normal. So there is indeed some interaction with the flash unit when it is set to fire.

Another thing is that "Auto review" does not work when the flash is on. I usually have this off but I had used it now to be able delete the test shots easily. To my surprise, there is no review, or really, really briefly only. Switch the flash off and the review works as expected.]

When I set "Zoom-Lock button" on the Q to "AFL", auto focus does work as expected, even with the flash, but AF is only activated using that button, the shutter release is not activating focus anymore. That could be a workaround but it would be very hard to get used to, since I normally do not use it that way and I find the button not that easy to use really.

Edited by Bart van Hofwegen
  • Like 1

My Leica Q behaves like you describes, the focus changes before the picture is taken.

The Nikon SB5000 does not work, so I used the Nikon Version of Nissin Di7000. This woks in manual mode.

What I am looking for is a Trigger for unleashed flashing. My visit on the Photokina yesterday at the Leica, the Metz and the Yongnuo Booths where very disappointing. Unlaeshed flashing seems to be out of fashion.

Photokina 2016: http://gvad.de/?p=16179

Edited by gvadf
  • Like 1

My Leica Q behaves like you describes, the focus changes before the picture is taken.

The Nikon SB5000 does not work, so I used the Nikon Version of Nissin Di7000. This woks in manual mode.

What I am looking for is a Trigger for unleashed flashing. My visit on the Photokina yesterday at the Leica, the Metz and the Yongnuo Booths where very disappointing. Unlaeshed flashing seems to be out of fashion.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. If by unleashed you mean off-camera and without a wire, you may like this solution, I have read reports on this forum that it works on the Q:

http://www.lightpixlabs.com/pages/flashq

• Like 1

I use the flash Q. For the price, it's great. But I got 2 issues with it.

1. There is no lock to keep the transmitter on the hot shoe. It can inadvertently dislodge from the hot shoe.

2. Sometimes I need to reseat the transmitter for the flash to fire when I press the shutter button. I notice that I have to do this when I turn the camera back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by elephant
  • Like 1

I use the flash Q. For the price, it's great. ( ... )

Nice to have a direct report on the pros and cons, thanks. Before I buy this however, I would like to know if the Q shows the same strange auto focus lock behavior I described in my two posts above with the FlashQ, so if you would be so kind to test that and report back, I would be very grateful.

In short: with the flash on the Q and switched on, AF on AFs, pressing and holding the shutter release halfway locks the focus, but when subsequently pressing all the way (from the halfway position) to take the shot, the Q refocuses. So focus and reframe is impossible in this case. But please see my previous posts for more details.

Thanks in advance!

For anyone who may be interested: I have found a solution for the focus lock problem with the Q in combination with my Nikon SB-800 speedlight:

The LumoPro LP907 Hot shoe adapter. http://lumopro.com/index.php/universal-hot-shoe-adapter.html#.V-0fENwSOPw

A rather smallish and cheap lightweight cube that fits between the Leica Q and the flash and only passes through the central contact. Does the job, and provides 3.5mm + PC connectors for cabling extra flashes as well !

This adds a little height to the flash but that is actually rather nice most of the time.

• 6 months later...

Hello, I'm observing the exact same issue (see my thread) but I'm not using any flash. Do you guys observed the same issue ?

Thanks you

No, sorry, my problem was specifically related to the Nikon flash interfering with the Q (and solved with an adapter). Without the flash, I never have this problem.

• 1 month later...

Rather later on now - several months - I am having the same annoying problem (with a series of 100 photos of various sized still objects) the OP describes and no-one has replied to (except to confirm.) I bought the Q specifically for this project but it is FAR easier to use my Leica X1! (with it's it's own flash.) 

I am using the Leica S24D flash (with a Nikon cord - which is irrelevant to the problem.) 

I will explore what seems to be called the thumb button or the zoom lock above but not being able to use the half press of the shutter to lock focus is bizarre (or is there a logic to this here?)

ps I have just had to delete 10 photos in a row all mis-focussed (by the helpful urge of the Q to re-focus.) Quite odd to hear the X1 focus stuttering away as it does BUT doing it right at least lol

Yes I have tried manual focus but for various reasons it is impractical in this instance atm

Rather later on now - several months - I am having the same annoying problem (with a series of 100 photos of various sized still objects) the OP describes and no-one has replied to (except to confirm.)

I have already replied with a solution actually. I had the problem with a Nikon flash, they have several pins that are of no use to the Leica and interfere with the camera in a way that seems to produce the odd focus behavior.

I am using the Leica S24D flash (with a Nikon cord - which is irrelevant to the problem.)

Although it may seem odd that the Leica flash introduces the same problem as the Nikon, I think in your case it might be related to the Nikon cord, that has the same set of extra pins as a Nikon flash does. So maybe it is not only not irrelevant, but actually the cause. Have you tried the Leica flash directly on the camera, without the cord?

I use a Nikon cord (I have it for using the Nikon flash on Nikon camera's) but added an extra adapter that only connects the center pin (which is all you need) and that solved the problem. The adapter I use is the LumoPro LP907 Hot shoe adapter. http://lumopro.com/i...ml#.V-0fENwSOPw

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question that I think may be related...

I can fire an off camera flash just fine using a yongnuo e3-rt trigger that I have left over from my Canon days (but oddly enough I can only seem to fire one flash, not multiple that will fire with the test button). Seems like the flashQ may be a better solution to this, I have one coming in the mail, we'll see...

What I'm more concerned with is that I can't seem to find a way to disable exposure preview when I half press the shutter. There doesn't seem to be any menu entry for this option...

If I am photographing a night scene and want to manually underexpose the image to use the flash as fill, I can set the thumb button to be AFL and then compose and fire using the shutter. This works but will take some getting used to and still shows me an underexposed preview if I half press out of habit. 

Edited by zakzavada

I've tried every combination that I can think of with Canon flashes on the Q. The radio wireless flash mode does not work for me. I have been successful using a Canon MR14-ex II to fire 600 ex-RT flashes using the optical wireless mode. Never could get the radio wireless to work using the Canon ST-E3-RT. I like using multiple flashes going off simultaneously to stop the wings of hummingbirds. I use 5 flashes total and the system works. I use only manual power settings. No ETTL. Good luck.