Should I buy a Q?

pebbles

Once I owned a M9 (later on a M 240 and now a SL). And the 28 mm was the most used lens by me. A Q I have never owned. But anyway, if you are not sure that you can live only with one lens, you should better take the M 9 - provided, you do not need an AF because of eyes ( as I do) or other reasons. For my M 9 I had the 28 mm, the 18 mm, the 50 mm and the 90mm (Macro). The lens I used on second place after the 28 mm was the 18 mm - but this requires a seperate finder with the M 9. which makes it expensive.If you  go for a second hand M 240 you do not need that  because of the Live View. Or you use the EVF 2 (mine from Olympus  was always on the camera, I did not use a flash).

Edited by HeinzX

Does anyone own an M9 and a Q ? if so which one do they use most and why ? i just can't decide whether I could live with a 28mm lens all the time.

The Q at 35mm and 16Mp isn't too different to an M9 with any 35mm lens and 18Mp. Of course, the Q is autofocus, and manual, and macro, and light, and easy to use.

Unless you can see the image difference, I can't.

• Like 2

Does anyone own an M9 and a Q ? if so which one do they use most and why ? i just can't decide whether I could live with a 28mm lens all the time.

I had an M9....then 240...now 246. Had a 28mm Summicron all this time, even with M6, but never liked it on the M. Still don't and is on the chopping block. But I took the Q plunge knowing this. Much better on the Q. And the focal length just takes getting used to. Step further into your subject. However, the day they make a 50mm version I will be first in line! But I will keep the current one. Very sweet camera. I find it hard not to pick it up.

Edited by billinghambaglady

I've never owned any M, my film days were Rolleiflex then Canon EOS.  The Q was love at first site because I use it as an "assisted manual" camera.  Manual focus often (especially with this insanely great EVF) but the autofocus is near perfect.  Having aperture on one dial, shutter on another, exposure compensation on the thumbwheel -- perfect for my hands.

28MM is also perfect for what I shoot.  Never looked back.  Never had wide angle on the Rolleis.  

I mostly shoot with a 20 year old Canon EF 17~35 f2.8L and mostly somewhere around 28MM.

The SL is just too much of an investment when my 20 year old "L" glass is so good.  But maybe with an adapter for EF lenses...

The Q is what I carry with my everywhere, everyday.  Sometimes I carry it in a messenger bag with my 6D, 17~35L, 28~105L... all I'll ever need!

The Q is what I reach for first.  After a shoot, I often just use my iPhone to get the GPS info for Lightroom (I keep things by locations).

Confession:  I've been known to set my Q into 50mm mode, then use it to compose a normal image and accurately measure light as ISO100, then transfer my settings to a Rollie with monochrome ISO 100 film.  Yes, still carry an addiction to film and medium format with 80mm Schneider glass!

• Like 6

I own a M9-P and Q. I carry the Q everywhere, so it naturally gets the most use. However, I carry both on weekends or when I travel. I feel they compliment each other very well. The 50 lux stays glued to my M9-P nowadays.

Edited by Mr.Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I came to my Q when some eye sight problems became an obstacle in using my M-240. Had little or no problems in adapting to the 28mm, which is a wonderful little lens.  Have read also that the sensor in the Q (which is not the same as the M9 or M-240) paints a lot like the M9.  Initially I used the manual focus on the Q most of the time due to its ease of use with magnification & peaking, but then started to really appreciate the extremely fast AF on the Q.  I also don't use the 35mm or 50mm set up in the Q, but do admit to cropping when the result is just a bit too wide for the best composition.  It is the best all around camera I have ever owned & its size & weight make it easy to have with you all the time.

• Like 1

I have a couple of M's,  and am finding that the Q more and more is my default camera because it is lighter, more portable,  with good files and -- important occasionally -- close-up capability.   My only reservation is that the "drawing" of the lens at the edges can be slightly weird -- odd-shaped heads -- as a result of optical correction.  Higher ISO capability, too,  and the autofocus and the focus peaking are excellent.    In short,  highly recommended if you like 28 mm,  the practical focal length of the Iphone.  On the M's I prefer to user slightly older lenses because I don't like the look of the latest ones -- too saturated and kodachromey.  When I put the 28 Summicron on the 9,  as opposed to a V4 Elmarit,  I can tell the difference instantly on the rear screen. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went from analog (M6TTL with 50mm Summicron and 28mm Elmarit) to digital via the Q. Too much time spent scanning on my (excellent) Plustek 7600. It took me a couple of months to really appreciate the versatility of the Q. Light, fast, very essential, easy to carry everywhere, and sturdy. I like a lot the crop capability. In an instant I switch from 28 to 35 or 50, often to take the same shot with different perspectives. And the quality is the same. Autofocus is always precise and fast. Manual focus is a pleasure.

I am not a professional, just an occasional but motivated photographer. This camera is what I was looking for. If it had interchangeable lens it would be perfect, but it is already near perfect imo. Btw, it makes great videos, too.

For me, it has a couple of minor issues, such as the wi-fi capability through the iPhone app that I was never able to set up correctly (it is also slow), and the lack of GPS, but no big deal really.

Yes I do. They live in the same bag now and I love the combo. The M9 now has. 50mm lens almost all the time. I use the Q quite a bit because of the 28mm focal that I love. The M9 is pulled when I start starving for magic, "I starve for that magic on a daily basics:-)" and also when I'm doing serious portraiture works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by XVarior

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I just sold my Q. I just didn't like the POV and the files were so so...........If Leica ever come out with a 35 or 50mm Q then I might consider one but, even then I probably would not

I just sold my Q. I just didn't like the POV and the files were so so...........If Leica ever come out with a 35 or 50mm Q then I might consider one but, even then I probably would not

Oh well, Leica can't please everybody with any one of their cameras. Everybody has a different story. I got tired of doing darkroom work so I moved to the Q from M6 and M7 with 28, 35, 50, and 75mm lenses. Funny, I don't miss the Ms that much, at least I don't miss all the film work. I hate scanning even more than darkroom work so don't suggest that, LOL. 

I'm sure the Q sold quickly. All of my Leica gear sold much faster and for better prices than any of my large format or medium format gear. 

I'm getting used to being really close when I take shots on the street. 35mm was always my favorite focal length but 28mm is special in its own way. I would definitely buy a 50mm Q to go along with this camera. 

I have both the M240 and the Q. 

They are for different purposes in my opinion. 

Take today for an example, I'm flying domestic with only hand-luggage to a different city to celebrate a birthday,

I'm gonna take photographs all night tonight, so I just put the Q and a SF40 flash in a small Ona Bowery and threw it in my backpack.

Its lightweight and compact, and a very versatile travel companion.

The Q is perfect for occasions like that, it got all i need for fast paced low-light situations where the M would be much harder to work with. (especially after a few beers, yay AF)

I'm also going to stay for the weekend and do some sightseeing tomorrow and Sunday, and i know the Q will cover my needs at the party and probably 85% of the rest of the situations over the weekend.

When travelling i also use the Q most of the time, even if i brought the M, it depends if I'm out with the purpose of taking pictures, or if i just have my camera with me.

I usually prefer the M when i'm in situations where i have the time and where i'm in that "M mindset" or obviously in situations requiring a different focal length than 28. 

As a combo the M with a 50mm together with the Q also makes a great "2 body - 28+50" kit. 

I'd say just go for it, its much more flexible than an M, and if 28 work for you it's great.

Be aware that the experience is not the same as the M though, the rangefinder is unique and even though the Q is similar in tactile layout it's just a different shooting experience, not better or worse, just different. 

i'd say they get about the same amount of use for me, probably i use the M a bit more in a long perspective, but it's not like one is collecting dust because i have the other. 

• Like 2

So would I but the guys from Leica took away all my hope at the Photokina, absolutely no chance for a Q with 50mm or a longer lens...

Did you get a quote from someone that they were not considering a 50mm Q? They said in an interview somewhere that they were open to other focal lengths if they could make the lenses small enough. 

Maybe we could start a poll and figure out how many people would plunk down the money for a 50mm Q.

Edited by LarryLeica

Did you get a quote from someone that they were not considering a 50mm Q? They said in an interview somewhere that they were open to other focal lengths if they could make the lenses small enough. 

Maybe we could start a poll and figure out how many people would plunk down the money for a 50mm Q.

Since 40mm seems to be a focal length that can be produced relatively small for FF (Canon Pancake, C-Summicron etc.) it should be possible for Leica to do the same on a Q.

40mm might be to close for them to the 28mm they already have   and it is a focal length not very often used on M's, but I think it would have been absolutely perfect.

40mm is closest to our eyesight .. it was used on the CL, which was supposed to explicitly not compete with the Ms of that time and following those decisions, would have made a lot of sense on the Q. 

For me, 35mm is my most used focal length, 28mm works alright on my GR, but it's a snapshot and selfie focal length for me... (I used to carry the GR around when partying, all the time .. fun little camera) 

As a companion to the existing Q a 50mm or indeed 60mm would make more sense ... I would've bought the Q in a heartbeat basically if it was anything other than a 28 ...   21, 24, 35, 40 would've been wonderful ... longer I feel would too limiting for my style of photography (as a one off carry all day camera)

• Like 1

My Q goes everywhere with me (unless on a specific shoot when I don't need it) and I now carry the X-Pro2 with either the 35/1.4 or 56/1.2. I no longer have a Leica M but if I did I would certainly buy the Q if the finances were available. I find 28mm and 50mm to be the perfect combination of lenses for general photography. Most of the time for street work I find I use the Q more of the time

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2