Where has all the 120 TMax 100 gone...?

EoinC

• 1 month later...

Yesterday i received my regular "Your T-Max is back-ordered..." from B&H. It's gone on so long now that I think I may be sad when the order is fulfilled, and the messages stop coming - I'll feel like I've lost a robotic friend.

However, I think the relationship is safe for a while yet...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Freestyle now no longer even shows T-Max 100 120 in their regular catalog pages (i.e. filtered for Kodak > 120 > B&W). You can find their 120 T-max 100 page through a Google search - and it now just reads "Product not currently available" - no longer giving any expected arrival date. :(

I may have to email Kodak Alaris and see if they have any statement.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Freestyle now no longer even shows T-Max 100 120 in their regular catalog pages (i.e. filtered for Kodak > 120 > B&W). You can find their 120 T-max 100 page through a Google search - and it now just reads "Product not currently available" - no longer giving any expected arrival date. :(

I may have to email Kodak Alaris and see if they have any statement.

Thank you for the update, I have just checked the usual suspects here in the UK and no stock is listed, some say no date available, it will be interesting to see what Kodak say.

I did find one which seems to have stock you may want to pursue as it came up in my UK search for some reason known only to Google:

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/photographic/kodak.aspx#74160

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally got the time and email address to contact the film guys at Kodak/Alaris about the future of TMax 100 in 120 format. Their response:

Thanks for the inquiry. There is a technical problem related to the unique attributes of T-Max 100 and the 120 film backing paper that we are actively working to resolve.  The testing is pretty rigorous, and you can appreciate that we would rather err on the side of protecting our B&W film customers.  We fully intend to resume sales of T-Max 100 film in 120 format, and I’m hopeful that it will be before year end, but unfortunately I can’t promise you a date.

I guess the good news is that this doesn't appear to be a "stealth discontinuation."

It does make me wonder what is unique about TMax 100 - chemically or physically - that makes it more troublesome than the 400-speed B&W Kodak 120 films (or Ektar, or Portra 160/400).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Alert and bump....

Suddenly I am seeing TMax 100 120 listed again as '"In Stock" at Freestyle, Unique, B&H, Amazon, etc. - all places that had it listed as out of stock or discontinued for the past year. With luck the drought is over  - whoopee!

it is now Sunday here, but I will be checking with my local dealers tomrrow.....

• Like 1

Got my first box. No worthwhile images yet, just tests. No imprints, no "chrysanthemum-blossom" pattern, looks good.

The backing paper now has a transparent glossy "barrier" coating on the back. Opening the first roll's foil packaging, I thought "Thai food?" - the coating smells like lemon-grass. ;)

• Like 2