Dust (and weather) sealing

bencoyote

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another year another dusty Burning Man. Always with me no matter the conditions, day night, clear dusty. No case, no lens cap, just a lens pen, a handful of microfiber cloths and a UV filter that I planned to throw away. The one precaution that I took was that I intentionally didn't change lenses. 

No problems what so ever. Not even sensor dust. For example, I was regularly in conditions like this and am still coughing up dust:

https://goo.gl/photos/wTKtGydZWKJaK1Ri9 

I ran into a pro who had his D810 wrapped in a neoprene case and who was evidently a leica shooter for his personal work. He was impressed with the fact that I brought my M-P. I told him no problems so far. He was having trouble with focus in the deep night, I told him that I had trouble with that too and then we compared shots. I realized that his version of deep darkness and mine were different. I was talking about not being able to see my subject well enough to focus because she was only illuminated by one flashing LED. For example:

https://goo.gl/photos/dVBZvqA55XhXnGdC7

He was struggling with some night shots that I could easily make handheld. I came away thinking, "hmm MF wins when the light is REALLY low - I wonder what I could do with a noctilux?" He was a real pro though working for an Italian newspaper IIRC, not an amateur hack just having fun like me. A lot of his shots were really good.

• 3 weeks later...

Another year another dusty Burning Man. Always with me no matter the conditions, day night, clear dusty. No case, no lens cap, just a lens pen, a handful of microfiber cloths and a UV filter that I planned to throw away. The one precaution that I took was that I intentionally didn't change lenses. 

No problems what so ever. Not even sensor dust. For example, I was regularly in conditions like this and am still coughing up dust:

https://goo.gl/photos/wTKtGydZWKJaK1Ri9 

As a coda it turns out that I didn't get off scott free after all. I'm fairly certain that this wasn't the case when I first returned home but very fine dust seems to have found its way into the rangefinder. I thought possibly cleaning around the hot shoe may have introduced the dust but it seems to have a clear distribution from the bottom left of the rangefinder window. Anyway, I guess it is time for a CLA.

• 2 weeks later...