Any reason to own two lenses of the same focal length?

lylezanca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of friendly advice and opinion.

I currently have a Leica M-A and like to stick to the "One Camera, One Lens" method of keeping my work consistent and always improving. When people talk about this, one lens usually refers to focal length, not exactly one lens. After lots of trial and error I learned that I see in 50mm, so I prefer using that focal length for all of my shooting.

However, I currently own a 50mm Summicron-M and a 50mm Elmar-M (both newest versions, both brass chrome). I can't decide if I should sell one, and if so which one, or keep both. The summicron is quite a bit heavier than the Elmar, although I wouldn't classify either as light since they are both the chrome versions. The Elmar obviously have a size advantage, but the annoyance of uneven aperture settings and the collapsible function can sometimes get annoying as it doesn't lock collapsed and can just slide out if positioned in such a way.

I'm having a hard time deciding if it makes sense to keep both, and if not, which one to keep. I currently justify ownership of both by saying the Elmar, while limited, is more suitable for when I'm not out specifically to be shooting, but walking to work or just running errands. The smaller size is nice when I'm not focused specifically on shooting. I'll use the Summicron when I'm going out to shoot, as its usability is substantially better, at the cost of its size and weight, but when I'm

shooting the camera is in my hand and not really packed away or even hanging from

my neck.

Let me know your thoughts everyone, interested to hear some opinions on the subject of owning multiple lenses of the same focal length.

Thank you!

Don't ask how many 50mm lenses I have in M mount! They all have their own character, and if I'm shooing an M2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 9 I like to use a lens from the same period. I consider these "functional art" - not just tools to get an image, and I enjoy the variety in using them.

• Like 2

I have two 35s, one is the f/1.4 ASPH FLE and the other is the f/2 pre-ASPH.

They differ in size, a lot!

I mainly shoot film now and can see the differences clearly, plus the extra stop is handy.

I'm about to get the f/1.4 50 ASPH, even though I have the f/2 (latest).

I see Leica glass, especially if purchased second hand, as a sound investment.

I purchased the 35f/2 for sub £400 in 2003 and now its worth around £1300, on a good sunny day ;-)

Moreover, I should add the immense joy it has given me over the years in terms of image quality. 

Edited by ShivaYash
  • Like 1

I am far down that road. I wouldn't really buy Leica lenses as an investment. It s easy to buy used gear, but not as easy to sell when you have to deal with brokers or eBay. One of the problems with owning too much gear is that you have to carry insurance for all of it, which can really add up. If you buy the 50lux, you definitely do not need the 50cron unless it is the aspherical.

• Like 2

To look at the question: "Is there something wrong with owning more than one of any given focal length lens?", I'd have to say, "No." There are many reasons you might have multiples of a focal length—different rendering qualities, different size and weight, having one each for a couple of different bodies, etc. If you can't decide whether to keep both yet, and don't need to sell one for some specific reason, just hang onto them and see which one you choose most of the time. 

50mm is a versatile focal length. I have a couple of 50mm lenses in LTM, adapted to M mount: a Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH and a Color Skopar 50/2.5. The Nokton50 is a bit bulky and slightly soft wide open, like an older 'Lux 50; the CS50 is delightfully compact but works best on film. It doesn't bother me to have both since I leave the CS50 on the M4-2 most of the time and the Nokton gets swapped between the digital bodies.

However, I consider selling one or both, then moving to a coded Summicron 50/2; it would work better on the M-D as well as just fine on the other bodies.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can see no reason to not own more than one 50mm lens. 

Every 50mm lens has a different fingerprint.  The subtleties of the way a lens renders is lost probably 99.99% of the masses who are not photographers, the majority of photographers and even a lot of Leica M shooters can't see it - but it is there.  

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of friendly advice and opinion.

I currently have a Leica M-A and like to stick to the "One Camera, One Lens" method of keeping my work consistent and always improving. When people talk about this, one lens usually refers to focal length, not exactly one lens. After lots of trial and error I learned that I see in 50mm, so I prefer using that focal length for all of my shooting.

Let me know your thoughts everyone, interested to hear some opinions on the subject of owning multiple lenses of the same focal length.

Thank you!

Like you, find 50mm is my focal length. I have two lenses I use most, the older Summicron v4 and Noctilux 1.0 v1, but also have Summilux. Don't have the Elmar. Also have two 35mm and a 28. Of all my M lenses, if we're to pick one, would be the Summicron 50. It sings on the m246. But I will never give up my old Noctilux because it's just so different and beautiful. But it weighs a ton! If we're me, I would keep both your Elmar and Summicron. If one day you decide not really using one or the other, then time to part with it. I have several I am waiting to trade in....

Over the years, I've thought about this issue as well. Nevertheless, there can be a myriad of reasons to own more than one version of a given focal length lens - if you're an active photographer, if not, than the number of reasons diminishes. Personally, if I was you, I wouldn't get rid of either unless you find you are not using one, or need the money. Just the old man's voice of experience of too many poor decisions in acquiring and subsequently disposing of less used photo gear.

I am far down that road. I wouldn't really buy Leica lenses as an investment. It s easy to buy used gear, but not as easy to sell when you have to deal with brokers or eBay. One of the problems with owning too much gear is that you have to carry insurance for all of it, which can really add up. If you buy the 50lux, you definitely do not need the 50cron unless it is the aspherical.

There is a weight difference to consider... I'll be keeping both 50s.

I am currently selling two 50's one Elmar-M and mkIV summicron

I am keeping two 50's in part for the size but mostly because of how they render

If you have Lightroom recognising the lenses be worth having a look and assessment of what you like about each for me the Elmar is a little more characterful than the summicron on the M9

If the Elmar and Summicron are not discernibly different and you can live with the weight and size I'd sell the Elmar if you can't then keep it ! I'd not be tempted to only have an f2.8 but hey if you can live without f2 then maybe the summicron could go

Id sell the summicron and look for a Noctilux !

My favorite  lens is the 35mm summilux asph. 

It is rather large and heavy on my M9 though, that's why I keep the 40mm Rokkor around. At least that's what I tell/ told myself. 

Basically I have not used that lens, because while it makes the combination a bit smaller, it doesn't make it pocketable or anything. 

The 100/200g difference doesn't make that much of a difference in my opinion. While I understand that it's sometimes hard to sell something you do like, even if you don't use it as much, I would probably not keep it.

Then again, it all depends on if you need the money right now.... + if it's really weight you want to save, you could always buy a black summicron or silver summarit ... whatever the case there are tons of people who own and use different lenses (of the same focal length) for different purposes, just as you seemingly do.

Yes!!

I have a 50 f1, and a 50 Apo. Chalk and Cheese doesn't begin to describe it.  Oh, and a MATE too, forgot that one.  They are all my babies, and all so unique in the way that they draw.  I have also had many other Leica 50s over the years, from an early collapsible Summicron to a 50 Summilux Asph. 

Lots of reasons to own as many 50s as you wish. It's a wonderful focal length. And no reason to justify your choice, or reasons, to anyone.

(But PS, imho, the 50 Summilux Asph is the King, on a cost basis!)

Focal length is only one aspect of a lens. There are many others, each of them can be a reason to keep a lens of the same focal length e.g.:

- weight

- size

- collapsibility

- filter size

- rendering - microcontrast, detail

- glass 'color' some are greenisch, others blue,  others more towards the red spectrum. 

- aperture… fast or not

- with finger tab or without 

- integrated shade or not

Don’t worry about having just two 50mm Leica lenses. I do not consider myself a rich man.

But even then I  do not have a problem owning so many 50mm Leica lenses that it would be impossible to tell you now how many I have without taking them out the closet and counting them. Even the question of how many 50mm Summicron lenses, would be a hard one to answer right away.

All I know, is that they are all different and every one of them has its strong points. Even the cheap old 50mm Elmar F3.5 LTM is so light and small, that it earns its place quite easily among its more expensive  brothers. Selling even one of them would need some careful consideration.

For the moment it will probably be a better investment than money on a savings account anyway, so I will keep them until I need to sell them for the money.

OTOH, if need be, one could live with only one 50mm, of course. I would have to think very long and hard between the 50 Summicron IV and 50 Summilux if I could only keep one 50mm.

• Like 1

35 V4 lives on my M8,  35 ASPH is for the M9.

My 50 Rigid is MINT and takes wonderful pic.  I could never replace it, intact I have never seen one factory fresh like mine.  50 2.8 original is near mint and takes wonderful pics also.  Second versions one chrome and one black.  Nice images.  `69 50 Summicron is near mint and pics are pleasant.

50 1.4 ASPH is fantasic,  but no better stopped down.  50 3.5 red Scale is unique.   50 1.5 Summarit is near mint and lived life with a uv filter.  Hood was expensive.  Images are very unique.  

Had two 75 1.4 and both had focus shift.   Sent for resale.   75 2. APO is really nice and I am keeping it.

90 macro is the best Elmar 90 I ever used.   Also have a 2.8 iso one for bellows.

A few 135 floating around also.  Best used on Nikon or viso flex

So that is why I have multiple copies.   It helped I worked near the largest Leica dealer in the USA in 1980`s.  I could try anything I wanted.

It appears that I'm the odd one out, but I just can't seem to justify keeping two lenses of the same focal length*. I always second guess myself or only ever use one of them, and the differences in "character" are far outweighed by usability^.

For example, I use the 35mm pre-asph summilux as my main lens. I used to have the 2.5/35 CV colour-skopar. They're both similar size, and by f/2.8 they're very similar (the colour-skopar has higher contrast, but there's a slider for that!). I couldn't see a time when I would rather take the colour-skopar so I sold it, it was just gathering dust. I like the size and aperture tabs of the pre-asph, so would be unlikely to get a newer larger 35mm summilux. 

*Now I'm just about to send my main lens in for some adjustments, and it would be nice to have a backup.

^A specific lens for a specific project is where I might get a lens for it's "character".

There is a weight difference to consider... I'll be keeping both 50s.

I acknowledge the weight issue, but if you keep the Elmar and the lux, there is absolutely no reason to keep the non-Apo. I actually have a similar dilemma. I own a Noctilux f1, a lux aspherical, and a 50Ao. I'm considering selling the 50lux aspherical because it is right in the middle between the Apo and the Noctilux as far as, well everything!