about the Elmarit 90mm

kengai

4 indeed, but all with a slightly different name :

- Elmarit 90mm (intro 1959, the only made also in Screw Mount)

- Tele Elmarit 90mm (intro 1964), the most compact, made only in Canada.

- Tele Elmarit- M 90mm (intro 1974), the lightest.

- Elmarit-M 90mm (intro 1990), the heaviest (expecially the chrome version)

In the Wiki section you can find all the relevant data about them.

Not surprisingly, the last is the best.. a lens of exceptional mix of sharpness / contrast , and with a very good resistance to flare,

Personally (I have 3 of the 4 versions, lack the 3rd one) , I have Always appreciated a lot also the old Tele Elmarit, very portable, very robust construction, very standard filter size (E39), and still a good performer, though definitely a step under the last.

The only problem of the last is that is really a massive lens considering its focal and aperture : its logical successor in Leica lineup is the Summarit, which is much more light though having a larger aperture, and probably with similar performance (I haven't it, but have the Summarit 75, which renders quite similar to the Elmarit M)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

@Luigi - you are correct that the 75 Summarit is very like the last 90 Elmarit (contrasty crisp sharpness) but with a tad less contrast and pinkness. However, the 90 Summarit is not just a longer version of the 75 - it is more like (and optically almost identical to) the last, compact non-ASPH 90 SUMMICRON. The Summarit family resemblance is very weak.

Personally - I have moved on from 90s and use a 75 Summicron, while also appreciating the 75 Summarit for similar results at a lower price. So I'll leave it to others to help the OP in his choice.

To illustrate IWC's point with which I agree. The Elmarit-M is a fantastic lens and for anyone who doesn't feel the need (either actual or for bragging rights) of the current Summicron, it's as good as it gets and for considerably less money. I've seen it here in Europe for around 800 Eur. I have the black which I find neither very heavy nor very large. I also like that it has a focus throw that's just right. It is a very pleasant lens.

Philip

Flickr

TTL Gold 200 Coolscan 9000

PS the bokeh of the 90 Elmarit has a much softer look and the transition between in and out of focus is much less abrupt. I found the 75 perhaps a tad sharper and the colouring I preferred ( less pink)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The only problem of the last is that is really a massive lens considering its focal and aperture........M)

Massive? Bigger than some, smaller than others, but that's hardly an accurate description unless you're under 4"3" tall.

The last version 90mm f2.8 elmarit-m is a star and relatively cheap in Leica currency. It makes a good partner to many other focal lengths for a versatile two or three lens option.

The last Elmarit 90/2.8 has almost the same weight as the Summicron 90/2 v3 (410 g in black), which is a bit too much compared to the "thin" Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 (225 g). Otherwise it is one of those very rare lenses with no significant flaw whatsoever. If i had not it already, i would probably prefer a Summarit 90/2.4 today but i find the buil-in hood of the Elmarit more handy. It is almost useless as a shade though but it is not alone by far.

I have the Elmar 90 Macro-Elmar - M. It is excellent, also for long distance.

How does it compare to the latest Tele-Elmarit?

Anyone who has both?

The "thin" Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 (62mm long, 225g) is a bit taller and slightly lighter than the 90/4 macro v1 (59mm long, 240g in black - i have no experience with v2). 90/4 macro v1 is more contrasty and has less flare than thin T-E. My copy of the latter has a bit of focus shift around f/5.6 but i don't feel it disturbing on my current cameras (A7s mod, M240, M8.2). Both great lenses, Mandler vs Karbe sort of. Veiling flare is my only gripe vs the thin T-E whilst i miss f/2.8 with the 90/4 macro in low light. Better have a 90/2 along with the latter if you can afford it. Otherwise a latest Elmarit 90/2.8 could be a good compromise in spite of its bulk, or better so perhaps a Summarit 90/2.4 or 90/2.5 but i have no experience with them.

late model Elmarit-M 90mm, sharp, great contrast, built in hood and fairly easy to find.

I'm not an expert, in that I did not have the luxury to test every style.
I'm trusting the advice of others and I read everything....and there are a lot of opinions on the Internet.....just search this forum for "best 90mm" ;-)
I drove myself crazy to select the best choice for me because I didn't want to have to re buy the focal length. In the end,I went for a late model Elmarit-M 90mm, sharp, built in hood and fairly easy to find.

The history lesson:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/90mm-lenses.htm
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-M

the Macro is also a good choice but its expensive...and only f/4
The 90mm Summarit is also a great choice. The color and contrast  are amazing.
In the case of the Elmarit-M 90mm, the latest model has the latest improvements (better at close focus) the "thin" is a great portrait lens but softer at close focus

Honestly what I learned ....depending how critical you are they are all great choices.

Hope this helps

I have the later Elmarit-M and it is fabulous... I converted it to six bit coding a year or so ago and it fits in with my system seamlessly.

Not expensive either, particularly used. You should be able to find one in mint condition for far less than you think.

One of those rare bargain lenses...

Edited by Bill Livingston

I have the later Elmarit-M and it is fabulous... I converted it to six bit coding a year or so ago and it fits in with my system seamlessly.

Not expensive either, particularly used. You should be able to find one in mint condition for far less than you think.

One of those rare bargain lenses...

Is there a need to convert telephotos?......or just so you know what lens you used in LR

The last Elmarit 90/2.8 has almost the same weight as the Summicron 90/2 v3 (410 g in black), which is a bit too much compared to the "thin" Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 (225 g).

That's why I sold my Elmarit-M and kept the V3 Summicron.  Optically I found precious little difference from f/2.8 beyond 2m, and the Cron has an extra stop which comes in handy.  The thin T-E is still my travel 90 despite needing to be mindful of possible flare when shooting into the light.

I should add that, despite my previous post about moving on from the 90mm length, I have reacquired the tiny 90 Tele-Elmarit-M. (see nearby post on lens weights) Due to a temporary back problem, I really needed to cut back on even the weight of a 75/135 combo. And found the 225g TEM for $400.

I can't absolutely recommend that version because of its idiosyncracies - but knowing it inside and out, I can work around them comfortably. Nice low-contrast sharpness.

Is there a need to convert telephotos?......or just so you know what lens you used in LR

Not really.. just for 'completeness' I suppose... and it just made me feel comfortable knowing I never had to reset the camera menu after changing lenses. The actual 'in camera' stuff is irrelevant, but I suppose it's nice to know the lens is in the metadata... not that I ever worry about it that much, although here have been a few occasions when I wanted to know and looked up the metadata on a photo... it happened the other day when someone asked and I had forgotten... but in practical terms? No.