Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm on the Leica SL reviewed

Vieri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just published a review of the Leica Super-Elmar-S on the Leica SL, adding as a bonus a comparison with the Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL at 24mm. Enjoy!

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/09/leica-super-elmar-s-24mm-vs-leica-vario-elmarit-sl-review.html

Best,

Vieri

• Like 9

Another nice review, Vieri! Thank you.  :)

I might do something similar comparing the Vario-Elmar-SL @24mm with the Elmarit-R 24mm, which I find a much underrated lens in the R lens catalog. It poses a significantly smaller, lighter package than the zoom and adds easy accessibility to all kinds of less expensive filter setups. I know from some informal testing a while back that the R24 compares well against the modern Elmar-M 24/3.8 ASPH on the SL. 

The SL gives us all manner of interesting lens options... 

Thanks you, Vieri

Awesome comparison of two lenses of superior quality.

For me, te most significant fact of your analysis is the bluish cast of the 24-90 zoom. All of my Leica lenses are have a neutral tone.

Regards

Forgive my intrepidity, but isn't a minor color cast easily changeable with a small adjustment to the color temperature setting?

Another nice review, Vieri! Thank you.  :)

I might do something similar comparing the Vario-Elmar-SL @24mm with the Elmarit-R 24mm, which I find a much underrated lens in the R lens catalog. It poses a significantly smaller, lighter package than the zoom and adds easy accessibility to all kinds of less expensive filter setups. I know from some informal testing a while back that the R24 compares well against the modern Elmar-M 24/3.8 ASPH on the SL. 

The SL gives us all manner of interesting lens options... 

Thank you Godfrey, I am glad you enjoyed it :D I'd love to see your comparison with the 24mm R! You are right about the SL allowing us to use all kind of lenses, to me it's one of the main strengths of the camera / system, together with the amazing IQ.

Thanks you, Vieri

Awesome comparison of two lenses of superior quality.

For me, te most significant fact of your analysis is the bluish cast of the 24-90 zoom. All of my Leica lenses are have a neutral tone.

Regards

Thank you Muscardino, I am glad you liked the review :D Don't worry about the bluish tint I mentioned, it is there in comparison with the colour rendition of the Super-Elmar-S but you can get rid of it in one second when setting your white balance. The Vario-Elmarit is a perfectly neutral lens without any colour casts :)

Forgive my intrepidity, but isn't a minor color cast easily changeable with a small adjustment to the color temperature setting?

Indeed :) Even if I expressively said that it was only in relation to the Super-Elmar's colour rendition, and that it isn't relevant if you use the VE on its own, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough that it's definitely not a problem by any means :)

Best,

Vieri 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the review. Very interesting.

There's one thing I don't quite understand. In one sentence you have diffraction cutting in at f8 and the next at f11. Diffraction is a function of the aperture vs the sensor size so I don't quite understand how it can be different for the same scene in different parts of the frame.

Gordon

Thanks for the review. Very interesting.

There's one thing I don't quite understand. In one sentence you have diffraction cutting in at f8 and the next at f11. Diffraction is a function of the aperture vs the sensor size so I don't quite understand how it can be different for the same scene in different parts of the frame.

Gordon

Thank you Gordon, I am glad you found tithe review interesting.

As far as diffraction, you are of course exactly right in defining it a function of aperture vs sensor size, I believe your puzzlement is caused by the different phrasing I used: in one sentence I say "from f/11 onwards" diffraction kicks in, in the following "best aperture is f/8, after which diffraction kicks in" meaning the aperture after f/8, or - again - f/11. Sorry for the confusion, I hope is clearer now :D

Best,

Vieri

• Like 1

I've had my S to SL adaptor for a few weeks now. The more I think about it the more I think Leica missed a huge opportunity by not offering a T/S version. S lenses are optically superb and the image circle is big enough. Eventually some would add an S body as well. Manual focus would be fine. I like the adaptor we have but think Leica should have released two (1 AF and 1 T/S).

The 24 would be a stellar T/S lens. And imagine the 30-90 as a ZOOM T/S lens.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography

I've had my S to SL adaptor for a few weeks now. The more I think about it the more I think Leica missed a huge opportunity by not offering a T/S version. S lenses are optically superb and the image circle is big enough. Eventually some would add an S body as well. Manual focus would be fine. I like the adaptor we have but think Leica should have released two (1 AF and 1 T/S).

The 24 would be a stellar T/S lens. And imagine the 30-90 as a ZOOM T/S lens.

Gordon

Gordon,

a T/S adapter would be great. I think there is room enough in the adapter for such solution - perhaps if not Leica themselves, someone else could do it (Novoflex?). The only thing is, since you'll have to be able to control the diaphragm electronically you'll need to figure a way to limit movements as not to damage cables etc. Other than that, I am pretty sure it is feasible - perhaps we can hope :)

Best,

Vieri