60mm TL Macro announced

helged

Too rich for me anyway.

Plus it is the completely wrong direction size-wise. Like the 35/1.5, it looks huge.

I keep banging on about this I know, but there is no reason whatsoever for them to be so big, it is the one thing that annoys. You have a small, discreet, compact T, and then these two lenses are huge.

At least my M lenses are in keeping with the size of the camera.

Gary

• Like 3

Too rich for me anyway.

Plus it is the completely wrong direction size-wise. Like the 35/1.5, it looks huge.

I keep banging on about this I know, but there is no reason whatsoever for them to be so big, it is the one thing that annoys. You have a small, discreet, compact T, and then these two lenses are huge.

Gary

I guess they make them so big to justify the price! ;)

• Like 2

Too rich for me anyway.

Gary

I tried out the 35mm 1:1.4 and was very impressed. I quite liked the size. The huge manual focus ring was a delight. Anyway I bought a second hand but mint body and 2 lens kit and a 35mm - giving me a 3 lens kit - on the basis of my trials. I have not tested the 23mm nor the zoom but the T and 35mm is a true Leica combination. I will be looking at the macro lens with interest. I do like a macro lens and lenses in the 90 to 135 range. 

• Like 1

Here are all specs and some product images in the Leica Forum blog:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2016/09/leica-t-macro-leica-apo-macro-elmarit-tl-60mm-f2-8-asph/

This suggests a UK price of £1800. Pricy when compared to other brands but on the lower side for Leica. It will be a tough call as it will compete for my funds with the new Nikon 105 1:1.4 - different beasts for different systems but both likely to be desirable. I await independent tests of both. 

I don't understand the complaining about size. This is a macro lens. Macro lenses are always bulky to accommodate the extended range of the focusing system. The T body is neither particularly small nor particularly light either. It looks like a good fit to me.

And $3000 for a modern, state of the art, Leica macro lens ...? That's about par for the course. The macro 90 for the M is $3800...

Edited by ramarren

I think I'm the only one mentioning the size, not complaining, but mentioning, so let me add this.

My best benchmark is the Fuji system.

The Fuji XF35/1.4 is 65mm x 55mm (D x L).

The Leica 35/1.4 is 70mm x 77mm

The Fuji XF 60 macro is 64mm x 71mm.

The Leica 60TL Macro is 68mm x 89mm.

So, forgetting the diameter, the Leica 35mm is at least 20mm longer. The TL60mm is just under 20mm longer.

No big deal? Possibly, but it doesn't mean it "HAS" to be bigger/longer.

Cost I am not going to get into, it is either "I can afford/justify it, or not", simple as that. Cost however should be commensurate with quality, and I'd say you'd be hard pressed to dismiss the Fuji lenses as being lesser quality. But they are significantly cheaper.

Anyway, moot all this is, I'm happy with my lot, neither the 35 nor the 60 are on my shopping list.

It's very good to see though that many are flocking to them, so I am possibly a minority, vociferous minority at that. I'll shut up now though.

Gary

• Like 1

Considering that the Fuji 60mm Macro reproduction ratio is 1:2 whereas the Leica has a ratio of 1:1 (which is pretty impressive), the increase in size might be of minor concern for people looking to buy the APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL (what a name...).

Even when paired with the Fuji X 16mm macro extension tube (approx. the same length as the T-Macro), you'll only reach a ratio of 1:1,28.

I always wanted to try out a T, but never felt it was worth it because of the size (and choice) of lenses.

The 23mm is the only lens that I feel is acceptable in terms of size ... I'm generally a fan of pancake lenses, so that would be something I would be looking for in the T system.

Right now, neither the choices, nor the size convinces me that there is ANY need for the T as a second body.

My Setup right now is M9 and 35mm lux, as well as the wonderful Ricoh GR.

I am thinking about switching GR or at least trying out the X2 / X-E , but it seems that all Leica Cameras are getting larger instead of smaller. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm the only one mentioning the size, not complaining, but mentioning, so let me add this.

My best benchmark is the Fuji system.

The Fuji XF35/1.4 is 65mm x 55mm (D x L).

The Leica 35/1.4 is 70mm x 77mm

So, forgetting the diameter, the Leica 35mm is at least 20mm longer. The TL60mm is just under 20mm longer.

No big deal? Possibly, but it doesn't mean it "HAS" to be bigger/longer.

Cost I am not going to get into, it is either "I can afford/justify it, or not", simple as that. Cost however should be commensurate with quality, and I'd say you'd be hard pressed to dismiss the Fuji lenses as being lesser quality. But they are significantly cheaper.

Anyway, moot all this is, I'm happy with my lot, neither the 35 nor the 60 are on my shopping list.

It's very good to see though that many are flocking to them, so I am possibly a minority, vociferous minority at that. I'll shut up now though.

Gary

Gary,

better dont try out the 35, you would probably change your opinion ;)

I was concerned with its size at the beginning but I got used to it and the images stand out compared to the other lenses IMO.

I find it more compfortable to use a little larger lens on a slim body than the other way around ( M 240+ small lens) After using the T alot I now find my M type 240 body to heavy.

Tom

• Like 2