Need selling advice

berkinet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First post here, so please let me know if this is the wrong place for this post.

Several years ago I helped a friend out by buying his camera gear to save him from hocking it. I offered to let him have it back anytime he wanted at the price I paid.  Long story short, he is now completely out of photography I now have 4 M bodies and 7 lenses.  I dropped out of film years ago and have no interest to start again.

Anyway, last year I decided I needed to do something with all that glass and sprung for a "T" body and an M adapter. The combination certainly has its drawbacks, like focus, and other issues best discussed on the T forum. But, the point of this post is I do like the camera and would like to get a T lens or lenses for it. Probably starting with the Vario-Elmar 18-56.  In order to do that I would like to sell some of my existing lenses, especially where I have 2 of the same focal length.  What I would like to hear from you is which of these lenses would you suggest I sell? Note, the issue is as more ending up with a sensible set of quality lenses than it is raising money for the new lens(s).

Thanks,  Richard

mm  speed Name        Serial #  Year

25   ƒ3.5 Canon            156**

35   ƒ2.8 Summaron       1665***  1959

50   ƒ1.5 Summarit       1499***  1957

50   ƒ2.0 Summicron (II) 2350***  1969

90   ƒ2.8 Elmarit        2428***  1970

135  ƒ2.8 Elmarit (II)   2063***  1964

135  ƒ4 Tele-Elmar       2383***  1969

I have the eyes for the35mm Summaron and the 135 Elmarit

First post here, so please let me know if this is the wrong place for this post.

Several years ago I helped a friend out by buying his camera gear to save him from hocking it. I offered to let him have it back anytime he wanted at the price I paid.  Long story short, he is now completely out of photography I now have 4 M bodies and 7 lenses.  I dropped out of film years ago and have no interest to start again.

Anyway, last year I decided I needed to do something with all that glass and sprung for a "T" body and an M adapter. The combination certainly has its drawbacks, like focus, and other issues best discussed on the T forum. But, the point of this post is I do like the camera and would like to get a T lens or lenses for it. Probably starting with the Vario-Elmar 18-56.  In order to do that I would like to sell some of my existing lenses, especially where I have 2 of the same focal length.  What I would like to hear from you is which of these lenses would you suggest I sell? Note, the issue is as more ending up with a sensible set of quality lenses than it is raising money for the new lens(s).

Thanks,  Richard

mm  speed Name        Serial #  Year

25   ƒ3.5 Canon            156**

35   ƒ2.8 Summaron       1665***  1959

50   ƒ1.5 Summarit       1499***  1957

50   ƒ2.0 Summicron (II) 2350***  1969

90   ƒ2.8 Elmarit        2428***  1970

135  ƒ2.8 Elmarit (II)   2063***  1964

135  ƒ4 Tele-Elmar       2383***  1969

I have the eyes for the35mm Summaron and the 135 Elmarit

Another idea, sell the T and buy a s/h M9 body instead. After a while you can decide which of the lenses are surplus to your needs and sell those too.

• Like 1

I think it does depend on what type of photography you do. as for camera body I second earleygallery's idea of getting a used M9 or ME body and try the lenses out. The 35 summaron is a fine lens.but if u end up getting a full-frame body then perhaps keep the 50 summicron?

Edited by Rus

But, the point of this post is I do like the camera and would like to get a T lens or lenses for it. Probably starting with the Vario-Elmar 18-56.  In order to do that I would like to sell some of my existing lenses, especially where I have 2 of the same focal length.  What I would like to hear from you is which of these lenses would you suggest I sell? 

I have a T body myself and understand where you are coming from but .....

Given the crop factor and your lens list I would say that obviously one of the 135s should go. Which is up to you but neither will raise vast amounts of cash - I'd sell the f/2.8 due to size myself. After that its trickier. Logically the 50 Summicron whilst one of the 'better' performers on your list would be replaced and the Summarit will have very different characteristics to the 18-56 so may be better to retain. 50 Summicrons are higher priced so will raise more than the Summarit too. That would leave you with a decent system in terms of M (though I'm not familiar with the 25 Canon) and raise a fair amount towards the 18-56 which would replace the 50 disposed.

The real problem that you have is that posting here will suggest that all your lenses have their place and that none should go (For example as a minimum I'd retain 35/50/90 if I really had to cull the set you have hard, but if I were this heavy handed I'd keep the 50 Summicron ..... see what I mean?).

And all that said I'd struggle to part with an M lens for a T lens anyway :o .

Edited by pgk

Get an M. I love my T also, but not so much with T lenses. Just depends on your needs. If you are really after auto focus, sell all and get a Q.

I do not own a T, so at first sight buying a M9 or M240 is appealing. The OP seems to ask for conveniance of zoom and AF. If that is the case, why not sell 3 or 4 M film bodies and keep the lenses, then buy the M9 and a T zoom lens?

Focussing with the M will be as easy as on your M film bodies, and results will be better than what you can get with the T.

Thanks for all the replies. In particular to @pgk who provided a framework for thinking about my choices.

As for the suggestions to get an M9 body. One of the things I like about the T is the overall simplicity and relatively small size of the camera. But, perhaps selling some of the bodies to finance an M9 is not a bad idea.  Then use the T with the zoom as a basic travel camera. 

I also very much appreciate @jaapv's comment on nostalgia. While I will probably never place another roll of film into an M3, there is something wonderful about just holding the camera and feeling the shutter clunk. Something akin to a steam engine - beautiful mechanics. I fear that holding the M9 will just leave me missing the M3.

You asked for advice, so here you go - if it were me, this is what I'd do.

Sell everything on ebay, except for one film M if you want to shoot film.  You will get more money out of it than if you trade it in.  Take the proceeds of the sales and whatever pieces of kit doesn't sell (I would try auctioning the slow movers twice, just to try to sell them rather than trade them) and head to your friendly neighborhood Leica dealer.  If you can wait till after Photokina 2016 is over (it runs September 20-25), there may be a lot of M-P 240s on the used market if Leica introduces a successor to the M-P 240 at Photokina.  When the latest and the greatest becomes available, a lot of people will trade in their current M 240s and/or Monochrom cameras to be on the cutting edge of the M system.

If you are seriously in love with B&W and want a digital M, get a Monochrom typ 246.  If you are more of a color shooter or like to do both, get a M-P 240.  Look for demo models and used models rated at 9 to 9+ (with 10 being new in the box) to make your money stretch farther.  You might also look for a used Monochrom version 1, with the 18 mp CCD sensor; it is a bit dated but is still a viable camera.  If you want to shoot only film, pick out the best of the four M film bodies you already have and keep it; you are now set for a body. 

Lenses:  Again, look for demo or 9 to 9+ used to stretch your dollars.  A used 50 Summicron (non APO) will sell for around $1000, a little over twice that for new.  That would be a good place to start.  Other lenses to look for would be 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit (new version with metal hood), 50mm f/2.4 Summarit (new) 35mm/2.4 Summarit (new).  Also look for any of the Summicron lenses on the used market.

The above would get you set up for as little financial bloodletting as possible and give you a two lens kit that would cover the majority of your lens needs within the M system.  I find that over 90% of the time I am shooting with a 28/2.8, a 35/2, or a 50mm.

Last of all, I would spend $259 and get a Billingham Hadley Pro to carry your M kit.

This is what I would do but your mileage may vary.  Hope this helps you make some good decisions about how to proceed.

Edited by Carlos Danger

I agree, the M bodies will have the most value, thus enabling you to get the most "new" gear.

I also agree with jaapv the M9 is incredibly simple. It's basically an M6/ M7 with a screen and ISO Dial (which I hardly ever touch).

The M8 would also be a good option as it's a crop sensor (so the lenses will behave more similar to the T ... I know, different crop factor ...) and it's pretty cheap.

Usually you don't really lose much money if you buy them used here in the forum or on ebay. 

With both cameras you won't need to learn much and you'll be able to try out all the lenses and can decide relatively quickly which ones you don't like (to use).

If, at some point you would like to get something more automatic, the T would be still an option, + you already know which lenses you like and would like to keep.