Summilux 35 FLE 11663 w/ Fuji x100 hood?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This might have already been covered somewhere.....but here it is:

Since getting the Summilux 35 ASPH FLE (11663), I have been troubled by the inconvenience of switching between shooting with and without the lens hood. 

In fact I like the lens without the hood, which is shorter. But in very sunny days I really also want to have the lens hood attached.

I'm not one of those gutty ppl who can do without a protective filter. hence the problem: Whenever I remove the lens hood, I feel I should attach the thread protector, which can only be done by removing the filter first, as the thread protector has a lip that prevents it from being screwed into place if the filter is attached already. 

The other day I chanced upon a strange solution, as I looked at my fuji x100 and wondered if its lens hood adapter will actually fit the 11663's exposed outer thread. 

Well, it does fit. so I have been using it since, as it can be screwed into place with the filter attached to the lens.

Sometimes I just use the x100's hood instead, which can be attached and removed easily.

You can also flip it and attach it the other way around, which to me looks a bit better:

Granted it doesn't look as nice as the Leica thread protector that comes with the lens, but it is indeed more convenient.

Oh and...slightly increased finder blockage with the x100's hood, but the difference seems quite negligible. 

Edited by Rus

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FumihitoTF
      Hello. I have the Elmarit 28mm f2.8 asph. But it is a 11606. I am embarrassed to say that I am a geek and prefer the 11677 hood. Some Leica users say that the 11606 is more compact and better, or that the 11677 has better image quality, but I don't know. I'm a nerd who chooses cameras based on looks, so the 11677 hood looks shiny to me, because the 11606 hood is plastic! Will there be a new metal hood for the 11606? If not, I'll have to get the 11677 after I give up the 11606. I know it seems a bit silly but LOL I'll wait for your reply.
    • By Al Brown
      This awesome 21mm lens with f/1.4 f-stop totally deserves its own thread.

The popularity of fast wide M lenses among Leica photographers seems to drop as soon as one drifts away from the optical viewfinder lines of the eternal 28mm / 35mm / 50mm trinity. Leica even went as far as to discontinue its entire 24mm M line of lenses at some point in 2020, including the precious Summilux 24.
      Yet for reportage, conventions, events, concerts, wedding receptions and people photography, a fast wide angle is usually priceless. What the Summilux 21 f/1.4 offers over other slower (f/1.8 to f/3.4) lenses from the 21mm scuderia (there are not many for the M, although Voigtlander and TTArtisan offer direct competition with same or very similar f-stop) is the incredible separation of the subject from the background, an amazing feature for a wide angle lens. The 21 lux is of course a Karbe masterpiece, Erwin Puts even said in one of his articles that "If you compare the 1.4/21 with the 0.95/50mm you see comparable quality."

Please post your images and share your experience with the 21 lux - everything from series VIII/8 filters and other adapted filter solutions to your experience with this light beast in the field and on assignments, preferrably wide open. This is NOT a SEM thread, but a comparison between the two is OK.
    • By IMAGEPOWER
      However, whereas the Canon F-1 Olive Drab retired long ago, the new Leica Reporter will be used...

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Al Brown
      We already have a very extensive 'Mandler Magic' topic, but as much I am keen on Mandler's signature look and his contribution to the "Leica glow", there is another very distinguished gentleman in the 'House of Leica' that as a leader of Leica's optical design team since 2002 gave us a bunch of new high performance M-Lenses and pushed the terms FLE, ASPH and APO towards modern Leica perfection. He was the guy that had the balls to say Dr. Mandler's 75mm Summilux 1.4 was his *least* favorite design and went on to "Make Summilux great again" - all the way down to 21mm.
      Show us some of the "clinical look" of the Peter Karbe magic and do tell what lens he designed is your favorite...