Strange / Q reset itself?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I updated my beloved Q to 2.0 when it dropped.  I then used it a bit and all was well.

It sat for maybe a week with a battery in it.

I swapped a fresh battery in yesterday, turned it on - and it booted with a Leica logo screen.  It then went to the set the 'date/time' screen.  After doing that, it took me to the menus and I found that it had reset all of the settings that I had setup after the firmware upgrade (metering options, play screen options, etc.).

Everything seems to be functioning ok, but this has / had me scratching my head.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Did you change the memory card at the same time?

I had the same thing happen when I was messing with the photo numbering on the mem card (Just after upgrading to 2) while trying to reset the count back to my original total count number.

All good now and hasn't happened since.

Interesting.  No, I didn't swap the memory card at the same time.. just a fresh battery.  It was strange because it took a few seconds longer to boot up and then went to the date/time screen.. during the boot I knew something was odd because it didn't look or seem normal.  

Everything has been fine since.. I put it through some paces over the last couple of days..   Just weird.

Could it be that your initial battery was completely depleted, to the extent that even the camera internal capacitors (that maintain clock and settings while you are swapping batteries for instance) would have then be exhausted too, leading to a 'cold start'?

If this has happened then you may check your battery for signs of ageing (e. g. lasting less than the other one, etc.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back-button focus works on my camera.   I had to check after reading your post as I usually use manual focus and hadn't checked back-button since the software update.  Looking at the menu the Zoom/Lock-Button setting is AFL.

Thanks for that marchyman. I've now performed a factory reset, which I didn't do when I updated the firmware,  and everything is working as it should. I am greatly relieved because the camera was behaving oddly ( the shutter button randomly shot video instead of stills!) and it only took me 5 minutes to set it up again after the reset.