Threatening Letter from LFI

Edward Louis Marit

I have subscribed to LFI for over 15 years and I have never received a belligerent letter or email from them about me owing them money or renewing my subscription.  No letters or emails starting 6 months before my renewal is due - just an email letting me know that my subscription expires with the next issue.

Even though there is a handful of M users who are apparently "too sophisticated" or "too advanced" as photographers for LFI and look down on the publication with scorn, IMHO it is a great magazine for Leica users/owners.  The main focus of its subject matter (documentary, photojournalism) may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the portfolios presented are almost always excellent and the magazine itself is edited and printed to very high standards. 

Yes - LFI showcases Leica photographers and products, and presents the benefits and advantages of shooting with Leica cameras and lenses.  News flash:  LFI is a magazine all about Leica cameras and Leica photography - what did you think was going to happen??  🙄

It would be great if LFI could get the glitches worked out of their billing procedures; they are not doing themselves any favors in dealing with subscribers the way they have been.  If they are carrying bad debts, they should take that up with the bad debtors and not attempt to collect money to amortize bad debt from the rest of us who pay promptly. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My LFI sub comes up for renewal in May and after quite a few years have decided to cancel.

I get far too many hobby related magazines often tied in with membership subs, and with the last two LFI's still unopened I guess I could live without it, besides much of the style of photography covered is not my thing, plus I can read about new Leica gear elsewhere. The money saved pays my new local new council charge for collecting garden waste! 

I have read about people's problems on the forum in the past with LFI subs and have taken the precaution of cancelling via the web site before renewal falls due. 

Within 30 minutes I have received a reply thanking me for my custom and hoping I will re-subscribe in the future. 

I will keep it on file should any problems occur later! 

• 2 months later...

I received several nasty grams from LFI concerning subscription cost that was overdue. I sent an email to Germany and provided them with the CC number I used to renew. Still the nasty threats of legal action by LFI hung over my head. Finally I received an email from LFI apologizing for the mixup and confusion. I'm always interested to see the works of new photographers, using their Leicas.