Long Lens on S

nunnzzzz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all - any experiences with 400mm and longer lenses on the S, and/or experiences with 400+mm medium format lenses that can be used on the S?

The 280mm f4 APO R + 1.4x APO converter with the Lei-ko R-to-S adapter works fine; so 300mm is thus covered. But what about longer lenses? Bulk and size are - for this request - of secondary importance.

Thanks... 

Leica APO-Telyt-R system?  Igor Camera in USA has the complete setup for sale. I've been happy with him as dealer.

Dear all - any experiences with 400mm and longer lenses on the S, and/or experiences with 400+mm medium format lenses that can be used on the S?

The 280mm f4 APO R + 1.4x APO converter with the Lei-ko R-to-S adapter works fine; so 300mm is thus covered. But what about longer lenses? Bulk and size are - for this request - of secondary importance.

Thanks... 

• Like 1

The modular system.... Will it focus to infinity on the S (with the Lei-ko adapter)? Possibly with the 1.4x or 2.0x focus modules?

I see that the reddot-people tested a mechanically adjusted ('shaved') version of the 400mm module that worked well, but mechanically adjusted lenses are not for me...

Edited by helged

It does not, I have both heads and the 1.4x and 2x focussing units. I have had the 1.4x modified by Leica to work with the S to infinity, everything is altered to its extreme and came back with lots of warnings, and will get the 2x done sometime....

Much appreciated input! Do you use the Lei-ko adapter; or did Leica add the S-mount onto your 1.4x focus module?

If you don't mind weight and size, consider the Pentax 67 400mm f4 ED(IF) lens.  This lens is hightly regarded by the Pentax 67 community, including the 1.4x and 2x tele extenders.  I recently obtained this lens from Japan for my Leica S (006).  The lens is sharp with increasing performamce in the range f5.6 to f16.  F4 is a bit soft and the sweet spot is f16.  The rules of using super telephoto lens definitely apply.  You will need a sturdy tripod, a gimbal head (Benro GH2 works well) and a Manfrotto 359 long lens support.  The Leica split focussing screen is also very handy and possibly essential for manual focus lens.  The late Michael Reichman of Luminous Landscape produced a video of how to use a Pentax 67 600mm lens.  I followed his recommendations and obtained good results.  He has also reviewed the 400mm lens.

The Metabones S to Pentax 67 adapter is well made and half the price of the Leica one.  As this is only a mechanical adapter the camera does not have to talk to the lens so there is no risk in the adapter not working.  Set the lens at the manual selection and focus at f4 before changing aperture to the desired position.  I have seen no evidence of focus shift.  I am still experimenting with the set up and with using the tele extenders which are more sensitive to any movement or vibration.  I use mirror lock up for about five seconds although I need to do more experimenting to check on the sensitivty to mirror vibration.  I think the S dampens the vibration very well but more tests are needed to check this out. 

The Benro head comes with a lens plate for fixing to the lens mounting foot.  This plate is about the same length as the foot and similar to the Really Right Stuff plate I have fitted which is 110 mm long.  The lens and Leica S combination fits well in the gimbal mount in the neutral position.  However, a longer plate is better if the tele extenders are being used because the combo has to moved quite a distance forward for balance.

I am very pleased with this set up for landscape and stationary objects but I will struggle to hit a moving target.  If wildlife is your thing, you probable need an autofocus lens.

Rod

• Like 3

Just had a look, that is an unbelievably cheap price for the complete kit!

john

I wounder whether the listed kit is a 'sleeper' from past invetory? And it's not listed on the bay. I have sent the dealer an email, no response so far.