Nik-Collection Software

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a new IMAC a few days ago (OS X El Capitan version 10.11.3) and didn't realize IMACs no longer comes with a slot for uploading software (that's how old my previous IMAC is).  I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this Nik-Collection software.  I would appreciate some feedback before proceeding to download.  Will this require a plug-in?   I've already made the move to Photoshop CC and it's basic subscription packet.

http://petapixel.com/2016/03/24/googles-150-nik-collection-photo-editing-software-now-100-free/

Thanks!

Edited by wilfredo

Will this require a plug-in?  

Nik Collection is either stand alone or a plugin to Photoshop so you would use it with Photoshop. After choosing the correct options and downloading it you find it in Photoshop under the 'Filters' tab. Choose the application you want and it opens in Photoshop, do your adjustments and press 'done' and your image is returned to Photoshop. It will be treated as a 'Layer' so unless you want to save as a .PSD go to Layers and flatten the image.

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nik Filter collection is superb, because you can apply control points where you want to have your changes and it is fast. It contains the best denoise tool I found, and of course the Silver Efex Pro for BW conversion is great.

It is now all a free download from Google. It works with Lightroom and Photoshop, Mac and PC.

• Like 2

wilfredo, you should be able to download from Google and install it from within your new computer. There is quite a learning curve to get the best from the suite of plugins. But the effort is worthwhile. While presets can be a useful starting point, it is much better to have an idea in your mind what you want to adjust and then use the tools to achieve your objective.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wilfredo, I found it worthwhile to buy an Apple CD/DVD drive for, I think, about $70USD. I use it mostly for burning DVD backups of image files.

There a cheaper alternative than the Apple branded drive unless you want the colours to match.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...