Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just went on holiday with a new 60mm B+ W circular polariser and a Heliopan 60mm variable ND on my noctilux. Surprisingly both have serious vignetting, with the Heliopan the worst. I was surprised at the B+W because it is quite thin. The Heliopan is very thick, so i should have expected it i guess, but i had no time to try before i left. Even worse, the Heliopan does not fit any spring lens caps meaning i had to either leave it in my bag or around my neck with no lens cap or constantly keep swapping it with my 60mmUV or CircP.

I am wondering if i use Thorsten's ventilated shade with its 67mm thread it will remove all vignetting. It does mean i will have wasted money on the two 60mm filters :((

Edited by howiebrou

• 8 months later...
On 7/19/2018 at 4:06 AM, howiebrou said:

I just went on holiday with a new 60mm B+ W circular polariser and a Heliopan 60mm variable ND on my noctilux. Surprisingly both have serious vignetting, with the Heliopan the worst. I was surprised at the B+W because it is quite thin. The Heliopan is very thick, so i should have expected it i guess, but i had no time to try before i left. Even worse, the Heliopan does not fit any spring lens caps meaning i had to either leave it in my bag or around my neck with no lens cap or constantly keep swapping it with my 60mmUV or CircP.

I am wondering if i use Thorsten's ventilated shade with its 67mm thread it will remove all vignetting. It does mean i will have wasted money on the two 60mm filters :((

Old thread, but if you are still out there. Did you settle on a 60mm circular ND filter one better than the other? I just bought B&W 60mm 6-stop and 3-stop. Haven't tested the 3-stop yet.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:35 AM, LBJ2 said:

Old thread, but if you are still out there. Did you settle on a 60mm circular ND filter one better than the other? I just bought B&W 60mm 6-stop and 3-stop. Haven't tested the 3-stop yet.

No, not yet! I still think I might just have to go up a size to avoid the vignetting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Funny what we go through to avoid vignette and then many times I add vignette in post anyway 😉 I've ended up keep both the B&W 6 and 3-stop. Not sure if the 3-Stop affects sharpness at all, so am currently scrutinizing for this. I'm stuck with the 6-stop as I don't think I will use it much, too dark. I should have tried the 3-stop first.

In the meantime, I ordered the B&W 60 mm XS-Pro High Transmission CPL Kasemann MRC nano filter too. Hopes are this will help with some of the atmospherics I find in some of my landscape images.

• Like 1