Good UK Developing and scanning Labs

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had intended to start sending films to UKFilmLab but they're moving to BC, Canada. Can anyone suggest a UK colour film processing and scanning service which provides the same sort of service i.e. not just sending the film through the scanner on auto but personally monitoring and maximising each frame's scan? I'm sick and tired of duff scans from the usual budget labs i.e. Peak Imaging, AG Photographic, Snaps etc.

Has anyone tried Photographique? I can't say I'm impressed by the few samples on the website. Any other suggestions?

I don't want to scan my holiday photos myself.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

I thought you had one of those Pakon scanners, Pete? I don't have one but it strikes me as being the most convenient method of scanning rolls of holiday photos yet being able to retain a certain amount of control over colour, sharpening, etc.

I agree with you that most of the colour film scanning services in the UK are a bit crap and it is one of those aspects to the film workflow that is permanently on my "to be resolved" list. In truth, I find it a bit of a dark art getting colour C41 film scans to look right (to my eyes) when I scan film individually on my own film scanner so I ought not have too high an expectation of the labs doing it well using their automated services.

That said, I would welcome a Richard Photo Lab type operation in the UK.

Edited by wattsy

I had intended to start sending films to UKFilmLab but they're moving to BC, Canada. Can anyone suggest a UK colour film processing and scanning service which provides the same sort of service i.e. not just sending the film through the scanner on auto but personally monitoring and maximising each frame's scan? I'm sick and tired of duff scans from the usual budget labs i.e. Peak Imaging, AG Photographic, Snaps etc.

Has anyone tried Photographique? I can't say I'm impressed by the few samples on the website. Any other suggestions?

I don't want to scan my holiday photos myself.

Pete

Hi Peter, I live in Germany and send my films to www.meinfilmlab.de Have just received 7 scanned films and am very happy with the results. They are very happy to speak English. Some images are in the " I love film " thread,small adjustments have been made by me. I had been looking for a long time, in fact UKfilmlab was on my "to try" list. Good luck. Tony.

• Like 2

Pete - I was using UKFilmLab for C41 & E6 processing & high-res .jpgs having despaired of AGPhoto and Peak Imagings' dust & spot-ridden negs/slides (which I scanned with my V700 then spent ages 'spotting').  When they announced the move to Canada they mentioned that postal costs etc would still be competitive.  IIRC, they should be up and running by the end of the month - why not see what their costs actually are?

I thought you had one of those Pakon scanners, Pete? I don't have one but it strikes me as being the most convenient method of scanning rolls of holiday photos yet being able to retain a certain amount of control over colour, sharpening, etc.

I agree with you that most of the colour film scanning services in the UK are a bit crap and it is one of those aspects to the film workflow that is permanently on my "to be resolved" list. In truth, I find it a bit of a dark art getting colour C41 film scans to look right (to my eyes) when I scan film individually on my own film scanner so I ought not have too high an expectation of the labs doing it well using their automated services.

That said, I would welcome a Richard Photo Lab type operation in the UK.

I do have a Pakon but I really don't like to sit down after a trip and scan my own images although it my come to that. Also, I use 120 film on occasion.

It has crossed my mind to tool up and provide a proper scanning service like that offered by Uk Film Lab/ Richard Photo Lab

Pete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pete - I was using UKFilmLab for C41 & E6 processing & high-res .jpgs having despaired of AGPhoto and Peak Imagings' dust & spot-ridden negs/slides (which I scanned with my V700 then spent ages 'spotting').  When they announced the move to Canada they mentioned that postal costs etc would still be competitive.  IIRC, they should be up and running by the end of the month - why not see what their costs actually are?

It's the thought of posting at some expense and risk across the Atlantic, with potential for someone sticking the films through a hold luggage xray machine that's putting me off.

Pete

Hi Peter, I live in Germany and send my films to www.meinfilmlab.de Have just received 7 scanned films and am very happy with the results. They are very happy to speak English. Some images are in the " I love film " thread,small adjustments have been made by me. I had been looking for a long time, in fact UKfilmlab was on my "to try" list. Good luck. Tony.

This looks very interesting Tony, thank you.

Pete

Hi Peter, another one I haven't tried yet, but looks interesting is www.carmencitalab.com. Let me know how you get on. If you find anywhere else could you send me the details. And of course if you do set up your own operation. The more competent labs out there the better. Tony.

Hi Peter, another one I haven't tried yet, but looks interesting is www.carmencitalab.com. Let me know how you get on. If you find anywhere else could you send me the details. And of course if you do set up your own operation. The more competent labs out there the better. Tony.

Yes I've often seen impressive results that have turned out to have come from carmencita. Again. it's the postage risk which worries me.

Pete

I think Peak Imaging are one of the best in the UK, a photo lab I have been using for over thirty years.

http://www.peak-imaging.com/

Steve

I used Peak a few times but, again they just seem to put it through on automatic so if you've photographed a small bright object in a dark surround, the scanner tries to brighten everything up and you're left with a blown out subject and noisey background. Then you're put in the situation where you need to complain or lump it. If you complain you then have the inconvenience and added expense of sending the appropriate negatives back for rescanning. I've just decided to vote with my feet and send film to a lab that can be arsed to look at their results and take pride in their work, even with my crappy efforts.

Pete

Re: UK film lab

A friend in Canada (Vancouver, Tom Abrahamsson) has a low opinion of the Canadian postal service, and he lives there ( a small air mail parcel I sent to Tom took 6 weeks)

I to was disappointed with the move as their service (UK Film Lab) was for me exemplary.

I have researched all the alternatives and was ready to bite the bullet and send some 120 C41 to the (in)famous Richard Photo Lab, filled all the forms in gulped at the processing but stalled at the return P&P,  just gross.

I have sent 5 rolls of 120 Portra 400 and Pro400H mixed, shot on the Hasselblad V, to Exposure Film lab https://www.exposurefilmlab.com/ they are offering Frontier scanning and personalisation, the presets offered match those on the scanner controls and there are examples which match those shown by other pro labs, plus additional comments on style. Price looks in line with UK Film Lab, who I may run some test rolls to for postage timing when they set up, I wonder who their wedding photographers are using in the meantime?

I will update when I have the scanned files back from Exposure, 4 days was quoted on the invoice.

• Like 4

I tend to use Snappy Snaps to process my colour films and get the usual CD of scanned images.

The quality is fine for web use and smaller prints. The photos I want to do more with I scan at home.

I used a number of 'pro' labs in the past and was disappointed with all of them. Either my standards must have been much higher than the typical working pro, or the labs thought as an amateur I'd accept dusty/scratched negs and poorly made prints.

• Like 1

I have sent 5 rolls of 120 Portra 400 and Pro400H mixed, shot on the Hasselblad V, to Exposure Film lab https://www.exposurefilmlab.com/ they are offering Frontier scanning and personalisation, the presets offered match those on the scanner controls and there are examples which match those shown by other pro labs, plus additional comments on style. Price looks in line with UK Film Lab, who I may run some test rolls to for postage timing when they set up, I wonder who their wedding photographers are using in the meantime?

I will update when I have the scanned files back from Exposure, 4 days was quoted on the invoice.

Look forward to reading about the results, Chris.  Their prices seem to be very competitive - no E6 service currently available though :(

Look forward to reading about the results, Chris.  Their prices seem to be very competitive - no E6 service currently available though :(

I suspect a Catch 22 situation, starting from zero how to do get enough film through to keep the line happy?

What is the demand? 

A decent lab will pull in the wedding film shooters, as UK Film Lab did, they don't shoot E6.

The Photographique lab mentioned appears to major on the Lomo market, another niche, offering 110 processing, not going to find that in many places, i still have some B/W 110 negs somewhere from its heyday, I should scan them sometime.

A friend in Canada (Vancouver, Tom Abrahamsson) has a low opinion of the Canadian postal service, and he lives there ( a small air mail parcel I sent to Tom took 6 weeks)

I to was disappointed with the move as their service (UK Film Lab) was for me exemplary.

I have researched all the alternatives and was ready to bite the bullet and send some 120 C41 to the (in)famous Richard Photo Lab, filled all the forms in gulped at the processing but stalled at the return P&P,  just gross.

Thanks Chris, I look forward to your update.

I've spent the morning scanning some negative just to remind myself how time consuming it is. :-(

Exposurefilmlab looks very promising.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 1