Leica brand UV filter compared to multi-coated Hoya, B+W, etc.

Stonewall Brigade

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone have any experience with Formatt Hitech brand filters?

thx

Yes, mostly 100mm square, they are excellent.  Their IRND 10 stop has less color shift than B+W and the Lee Big Stopper.  

I believe there is different qualities available in screw mount but the better of these should be equivalent to B+W and Heliopan.  

These are now my first choice in square filters, many are available in glass.  

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

1 reason to use a filter behind the diaphram instead of in front of it is: You can use a SMALLER diameter filter than would be necessary if you had to put a larger filter in front of the front element.

The smaller the diameter of the filter: The easier it is to make the filter plane parallel.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Hoya, and some other brands, supply the blanks that are the half-product to produce the lenses. Leica presses and polishes to get the end product.

I understand that Messr. von Overgaard is working on a ND filter for the Noctilux that somehow mounts at the back of the lens. 

If that were true, it would  reduce the optical performance of the lens. The only way to avoid the negative impact would be to make it spherical ;). I would not recommend using it.

I have not used filters on Leica lenses except on the M8. I find that filters give reflections on images and with digital most of of the desired effects can be put in during post processing. As for the 'Big Stopper' type effect with flowing water etc, I don't like it. A visit to any camera club where I live quickly indicates that this is now a 'cliche'. For me there would have to be significant benefits to justify putting another piece of glass between the lens and the image. I don't buy the lens protector angle either. A good lens hood should suffice for that purpose.

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The reflection issue is debatable [and somewhat dubious] with modern multi-coated types.

The prospect of (repeatedly) removing water or dirt from a non-fluorite coated front element of a multi-thousand $/€/£ optic appeals to me less than any marginal and/or theoretical resolution loss.

As far as providing physical protection, I agree, a shattered filter is more apt to do damage than a locked hood, though some filters with super-hard coatings and new stronger glass mitigates this risk.

Going 'commando' for film and MM shooters isn't so simple.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 2

The reflection issue is debatable [and somewhat dubious] with modern multi-coated types.

The prospect of (repeatedly) removing water or dirt from a non-fluorite coated front element of a multi-thousand $/€/£ optic appeals to me less than any marginal and/or theoretical resolution loss.

As far as providing physical protection, I agree, a shattered filter is more apt to do damage than a locked hood, though some filters with super-hard coatings and new stronger glass mitigates this risk.

Going 'commando' for film and MM shooters isn't so simple.

That is fine. There are no hard and fast rules about these things. You can go with filters and I can go without them and we will both get good photos.

William

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/10/2016 at 8:19 PM, DBAUDUI1 said:

Hello,

Unfortunately, not all the leica filters have even been designed correctly for the leica lenses so far...

The present E43 UVA filter from leica is made in japan and can not be used on the summilux 50mm 1.4 FLE Black Chrome Special Edition, if you want to use it together with the sunshade, as it blocks the sunshade from being inserted and attached on the lens.

This lens requires a filter with a tinier diameter than the current one to allow the hood (sunshade) to move to its final position and be attached on the lens. Presently the sunshade does not stay on the lens and falls on the ground...

This is a design mistake that was corrected 50 years ago, for all the previous releases of the Summilux 50 non aspherical, but as been forgotten with the new aspherical release of this lens.

PS: the standard summilux 50 (FLE ) uses E46 filters, but the special release of the summilux 50 FLE Black Chrome, which is based on the previous shape of the summilux non FLE, uses E43 thin filters of tinier diameter than the current one.

Best regards.

Dominique!

Is there an agreed filter that does work with the hood? As in, like the original filters did without paying $300+ for one of those - what modern filter works correctly with the hood?
I believe its a thin E43 with  0.75 pitch