Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back in 1998 I went on a package tour to Beijing with my wife, but the images have lain pretty dormant in my filing cabinet since. I am now going through some of my older work and scanning it, and I was particularly pleased with this one which was shot on Fuji Provia using an M6 and Summicron-M f2. The exact details have been lost in the annal of time, but I think it was taken in the Forbidden City and shows a man who has brought his caged crickets out to enjoy the winter sunshine. I remember reading that Marc Ribaud )Magnum) had gone to China to photograph the Tiananmen Square 'happenings' in 1989 but had been so fascinated by people in the cafes with crickets he missed the main event. This then I guess is a sort of tribute to him.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Great photo, and I love the story behind it. It's hard to imagine having photos just stilling around for 20 years then rediscovering them like this.

I think I bought my first proper camera in about 2000. Makes me feel young again! :)

Great photo, and I love the story behind it. It's hard to imagine having photos just stilling around for 20 years then rediscovering them like this.

I think I bought my first proper camera in about 2000. Makes me feel young again! :)

Thanks for commenting Ralph. I first started shooting around 1960, and have not thrown much away so there is a lot to digitise. It may make you feel young, but it makes me feel old!  :)  :)

• Like 1

Your story demonstrate one of the main virtues of film photography. Shooting film means you get a pause between the moment you captured and the moment you see what have been captured. This pause wether it is days, weeks, months or in this case years, is always rewarding. It allows many things to happen, it makes you judge your own photographs more subjectively but also it can bring way more emotions to the process of looking at them than with picture we shoot digitally and see and instantly.

• Like 1

Your story demonstrate one of the main virtues of film photography. Shooting film means you get a pause between the moment you captured and the moment you see what have been captured. This pause wether it is days, weeks, months or in this case years, is always rewarding. It allows many things to happen, it makes you judge your own photographs more subjectively but also it can bring way more emotions to the process of looking at them than with picture we shoot digitally and see and instantly.

Thank you for looking and commenting Rodrique. I don't know whether I agree with you. In this case I am simply working through old work and had forgotten this one hidden in a file drawer. It is just as easy to lose sight of a digital file and to rediscover its value at a later date.

Gerry

Thank you for looking and commenting Rodrique. I don't know whether I agree with you. In this case I am simply working through old work and had forgotten this one hidden in a file drawer. It is just as easy to lose sight of a digital file and to rediscover its value at a later date.

Gerry

I agree with both of you! But your forgotten picture of gentle old man with his crickets elicit fillings Rodrigue speak about!

Matic

• Like 1