My most hated ...

I know that you fully understand that what you're suggesting amounts to a workaround and does not amount to choice.

I think that for a camera of this class and this price, asking for choice is not unreasonable.

We see all over this forum talking about having a camera but doesn't get in the way of taking photographs. If you have to settle for workarounds then the camera is getting in the way.

The camera as is doesn't get in the way of making photographs. The way the single/continuous switch works and it's positioning, is the same as other digital Leicas, and as one who also uses M cameras and lenses simultaneously with my Q, I think it would not be a good thing to change the way the switch works or add a firmware setting.

The problem I see with modern digital cameras over all (I use Leicas and Nikons, but they all do this) is how ridiculously complicated they've become all in the name of "giving users a choice." On some of my Nikons there's up to 5 different ways to accomplish the same task - all so users can have a "choice" to do it their preferred way. This is the product of listening to everyone's gripes, and focus groups and adding to the ever-increasing number of "features." True, some changes are necessary as cameras evolve, but more often than not, things get ore complicated as users get more "choices."

All of my digital Leicas are much simpler to use than any other brand, which I view as a good thing, and if they get larded-up with more menus and more complicated firmware to satisfy everyone who wants to do it their way, or the way the camera they owned before their Lecia did things, Leicas will become just as unwieldy as all the mass market cameras, and much harder to use.

I submit - especially for something as simple as this - that people should just learn to use the camera you have instead of constantly wishing and hoping for the camera (or firmware features) you don't have. Things happen very quickly on the kinds of pro photojournalism assignments I shoot, and I like the way the switch works. I have learned the muscle memory to be able to change it on the fly when necessary, or not. I like the simplicity of the Q and the Ms, and nothing they do gets in my way of y being able to make great pictures in some very fast-moving circumstances. I hope they stay that way.

• Like 5

Can anyone say with any kind of certainty that this is something that can be changed with firmware?  I wouldn't assume that it could.   

I think that a great thing about the Q is that for a digital camera with a lot of automatic functions, little to nothing about it "gets in the way of taking pictures."  I also don't see how this particular problem gets in the way of taking pictures.  The worst that it might do is take more pictures, not prevent pictures.  An inconvenience maybe, but it doesn't make you miss the picture.

Edited by stevieboy

This was a disappointment to me when I got the camera. It was annoyingly the same on my M8 and like you describe, you often end up turning the camera on twice because if you try to go back from the C setting you inevitably use too much force and turn the camera off. It is a bad design flaw and while it cannot be corrected for the Q Leica really need to separate the function. I can't see any reason for it being where it is in the first place other than a desire to minimise button and switches.

LouisB

I belong to the ones preferring the system as it is.

For a very simple reason : inadvertently taking two or three shots instead of one is a minor quirk, but inadvertently taking a single shot when I wanted continuous would definitely be an irreversible catastrophe.

The impact is absolutely not comparable.

Little memory overspent because I'm in a rush vs totally failed shot because I'm in a rush.

I know which one I would "hate".

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I submit - especially for something as simple as this - that people should just learn to use the camera you have instead of constantly wishing and hoping for the camera (or firmware features) you don't have. Things happen very quickly on the kinds of pro photojournalism assignments I shoot, and I like the way the switch works. I have learned the muscle memory to be able to change it on the fly when necessary, or not. I like the simplicity of the Q and the Ms, and nothing they do gets in my way of y being able to make great pictures in some very fast-moving circumstances. I hope they stay that way.

Well said. +1 Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Super annoying.

Missed several shots today walking around wonderful (but freezing) Zurich because I turned into c mode by accident from the off position and for some reason it then starts taking video.

No idea why c is video either. I just want to turn this off. I don't want video at all on my Q and there should be a disable function.

I don´t think C ha anything to do with it.

I rather think that you have pressed the set button and cycled it to Movie mode. 

Even if you have the movie button on top disabled, the camera will start recording video when you press the shutter if you have pressed the set button twice by accident.

It is super annoying, but has nothing to do with the C setting.

I think you're right.

I have the camera on a strap haning across the shoulder sitting at waist level and I must be bumping the set button while walking around (and probably also keeping the camera awake).

Then when I pull it up to my eye to start shooting it starts recording instead.

Why did they include an unexpected set button option for movie in addition to the red record button I'll never understand. I really have no purpose on this street shooter for video and certainly don't need two video record options to make it easier to shoot movies.

Please remove that set cycle option in firmware. It is not a video camera and the majority of Q users don't need his option either.

Other than that I'm really happy with the Q and got some awesome shots before dark. IQ is great.

I posted in another thread, but in case you haven't seen it, set the Mode Lock Photo / Video to off disables the shutter button from starting a video. It does not matter what display mode you're in. It does not matter whether you have the switch set to C or S. The shutter button only initiates regular image capture. The video button only starts or stops video. Couldn't be simpler.

For the record, I rarely shoot video. I wish I could reassign the video to another function such as focus mode. Like the Fn button.

Edited by Infiniumguy

• 3 weeks later...

I see that the suggestion which I made in the opening post to this thread http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/263339-my-most-hated/?p=3093353 that Leica issue a firmware option to disable the "continuous" setting on the on off switch has now been broadly implemented in the new M10 because in that camera, this which is simply on/off

This gives me a bit of hope that Leica have accepted the principle of having a "continuous" setting elsewhere, or at least having the ability to have the choice to select/deselect it.

If the version 2.1 firmware ever materialises maybe there is a chance that they will implement this choice for their customers

• Like 1