New CCD - Improvements?

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Forum members,

I read an article posted on Riedreviews.com that there is IQ improvement with the new CCD sensor and firmware on the MM1.

The folks at Leica Miami also mentioned that they have heard this from very reputable Leica shooters.

Has anyone else experienced this themselves or can post comparisons?

I love my MM1 but am still curious nonetheless.

Thanks,

Dustin 

What I was told is that it had something to do with the sensor glass and the fact that it reduces infrared? I was half paying attention, which I understand sounds silly since I am asking here, but maybe the first sentence might mean something and make sense?

I was told that the improvements were noticed more on wide angles and a slight increase in detail in all photos.

• 3 weeks later...

After my MMv1 had its old corroded sensor replaced with the 'new' one earlier this year I noticed an improved, sharper image as well.

Initially I thought I was imagining it but there is something different about the images that are pleasing to my eye at least.

There's new firmware (v. 1.010) installed with the replacement sensor.

So that I assume is only with the replacement sensor?  My Monochrom got a clean bill of health last year when it went to Leica for a cleaning.

Thanks!

Although not an absolute test, someone who has a MM1 they are about to send in for a sensor replacement, should take a well controlled indoor shot and then repeat the shot once the camera is returned. If its the cover glass, I suppose people who recived new sensors for their M9 shpuld also possobly have noticed a difference?

Dave (D&A)

I received my M Monochrom mk1 back from Leica back in May, with the updated sensor fitted. I can't be sure if it's sharper than before but, frankly, it's as sharp as I could ever need it. It certainly is at least as good as the original sensor.

I attach a shot I took a couple of weeks ago here in Glasgow. 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE, wide open at f1.4. There's no sharpening. It startles me still just how much sharpness, detail, and all-round flexibility the M Monochrom mk1 has. It's as though you always have more in reserve than you ever could need.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1